Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:34 PM

32 posts, read 64,995 times

Advertisements

Like I`ve stated many times, Broward and Miami Dade Counties, the last 20 years, have become an immigrant infested Dump of low class 3rd world immigrants and spoiled filthy rich 3rd world immigrants. NO middle class, and most born Americans bailed a long time ago. It´s so sad because if Miami were an American city with American born citizens, I think it would have been the San Diego of the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
Addressing these two points, which I believe are accurate and perceptive:

Regarding the first point, I think of the High Ridge neighborhood in southeast Pompano Beach, a few blocks west of Federal Highway; my wife grew up there in the '60s and '70s and she still has friends there. It hasn't changed much over the years and is still pretty nice. It tends toward upper-middle class -- it probably takes at least an upper-five-figure income to buy a home there -- and some of the houses are on the water. But the most dangerous areas of Pompano Beach are only a few miles away. That has always been the case and people are used to it. The problem now is that areas a mile or so west of High Ridge (which are also directly west of nice areas like Cypress Harbor and Garden Isles, for anyone who knows Pompano) have been in a slow, steady decline over the years to the point that they're sketchy at best. The still-nice areas and declining areas are within walking distance of each other, and the folks in the nicer neighborhoods are worried. One of my wife's old friends in High Ridge is strongly considering a move to North Carolina or Tennessee when he retires in a few years and I asked him, half-jokingly, about the cold and snow they've had up there this year and whether that would be a deterrent. I will not print his response regarding what is gradually happening to the areas to the west of his home out of fear that it would be inflammatory or worse, but suffice it to say that he wouldn't mind leaving here and dealing with occasional cold weather.

Regarding the second point: I argued back in 2005-2008, when people were leaving the area because of hurricanes, high insurance costs and taxes and the housing bust, that a population decline would not necessarily be a bad thing for Broward. More than 1.5 million people in Broward are squeezed into a narrow corridor between the ocean and Everglades and the infrastructure really can't support it; neither can the county's economy, which is so dependent on real estate, development and the travel industry. And I'm not sure I'd trust Broward's county commission, which reminds me of a stereotypical condo board, to run a lemonade stand, let alone a big urban area. I really thought back then that Broward's population could decline 10 percent and it could be positive in the long run. But based on the figures I've seen, the population is growing again. As Kmarc pointed out, it's not just happening here. I have family in Arizona and have been visiting Phoenix off and on since the early '90s. That metro area now has almost 4 million people and isn't nearly as desirable as it was 20 years ago, although it still has a lot going for it.

Sooooo many ppl have left South FL for TN and NC... many will not say all the reasons they wanted out of South FL... Some will just straight up tell you why... I lived in NC and met many!!! And there are A TON of South Floridians in NC and TN... but I know what you're saying.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 PM

15 posts, read 40,336 times
I was born in western Broward County in the late 70's.

I'm in Virginia now, still living a borderline 3rd world existence, but I enjoy the weather more, and the lack of humans, and can provide a better environment for my family now than I could as a school teacher in Coral Springs. I escaped the area 8 years ago because I despised the strip malls, unending concrete, annoying traffic, lack of culture, and large crowds.

I just visited Coral Springs/Margate/Coconut Creek recently, it had been 5 years since I had been there, but I noticed a difference even in this time period. I feel so sorry for everyone that lives there, it resembled what I imagine Hell to be like. The constant flow of traffic on Sample west of 441 was astounding. There is definitely a healthy bunch of rich 3rd world immigrants, in fact I was quite a bit jealous of the many mid 1990's Toyota Land Cruisers I saw being pirated about by well to do Haitians. Wow I could really use one of those back here!! You know, good for them I suppose. "Sak Passe" is all I've got to say! I'm glad I'm not there though.

It's funny, almost everyone down there barely knows their neighbor, even though most houses are positioned about a foot or two from each other. The mausoleum like tombs in Coral Springs really make me nauseous.

Coconut Creek has really filled out and and is posturing it's stature. I used to hunt birds and fish where there new high school and apartment complexes stand, this is sad for me. (Wiles and Lyons)

I will agree, the middle class seems to be non existent. The cars I exhibited on the road were either the very nicest Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen OR late 90's early 00's imports driven hastily by colored individuals. If I were to have stayed in South Florida I would have surely joined their ranks, I'm not nocking them at all, in fact I do respect their work ethic immensely; I'm just pointing these facts out for the sake of analysis of the region.

We live in some interesting times. I would NEVER recommend ANYONE move to South Florida, unless they like plastic, concrete and humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
Like I`ve stated many times, Broward and Miami Dade Counties, the last 20 years, have become an immigrant infested Dump of low class 3rd world immigrants and spoiled filthy rich 3rd world immigrants. NO middle class, and most born Americans bailed a long time ago. It´s so sad because if Miami were an American city with American born citizens, I think it would have been the San Diego of the East Coast.

Last edited by Mount of Counti Christo; 02-24-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 09:01 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
It is what it is. I'm just glad I was there when it was still fresh and dynamic and less populated. The '80s in Ft. Lauderdale was a great moment in time. I was very fortunate. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. But all good things must come to an end. Cities, states, countries, etc. rise and fall. Develop and decay. It's the way of the world.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM

138 posts, read 153,213 times
Quote:
U.S citizens are not the only Americans,America is a continent, not a country, anyone born in the American Continent is an American, including North and South Americans,so yes,Miami and Broward are full of Americans,Miami is a U.S City in North America,There are plenty of States,Cities and towns in the U.S.A that look and are worse than many so called 3rd world countries.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
"Of all the children in San Diego County, according to the report, 43 percent of them have at least one immigrant parent."
Who are San Diego’s Immigrants? | Voice of San Diego

Well, there goes the theory that foreigners/immigrants make a city a hellhole.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
"Of all the children in San Diego County, according to the report, 43 percent of them have at least one immigrant parent."
Who are San Diego’s Immigrants? | Voice of San Diego

Well, there goes the theory that foreigners/immigrants make a city a hellhole.
I was surprised myself at the comparison, but then I realized he was referring to the San Diego that used to be, the beautiful clean city with its sparkling harbor and waterfront, not the one that exists now, with the drug tunnels under the border, the mobs of people from south of the border that throw rocks at the patrols and rush the checkpoints, the San Diego where there are car chases through residential neighborhoods, where families are rubbed out in their homes and where clusters of cheaply built, flashy buildings mask the squalor, where filth and feces from the sewer systems south of the border that empty into the Pacific travel north and wash up on the shores.

In fact one could say that San Diego has become the Miami of the West Coast, without the humidity and somewhat cleaner shores, lol.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPapi View Post
U.S citizens are not the only Americans,America is a continent, not a country, anyone born in the American Continent is an American, including North and South Americans,so yes,Miami and Broward are full of Americans,Miami is a U.S City in North America,There are plenty of States,Cities and towns in the U.S.A that look and are worse than many so called 3rd world countries.
Oh, please, I mean, really. US citizens are never referred to as "United Statesians".

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPapi View Post
There are plenty of States,Cities and towns in the U.S.A that look and are worse than many so called 3rd world countries.
However, you are absolutely right about this point. Detroit, parts of LA and Oakland, Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Philadelphia, parts of NY, New Orleans, etc. Even parts of Washington.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
However, you are absolutely right about this point. Detroit, parts of LA and Oakland, Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Philadelphia, parts of NY, New Orleans, etc. Even parts of Washington.
Do you and ComSense like anywhere?

Well, I get the sense that ComSense likes NC/TN...and that's about it.

But...yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area