U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,288 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job at hollywood airport, and need to find a place to live in the area if I get hired (Bah, be optimistic, when I get hired!). Coming from way north I don't know the area at all. The income will be low (22k to 25k a year) so 600ish a month will be the goal, but I can stretch to 800 - 900 if that is what is required for the area. Options?
Personal info is that I am a 24 single male.

Thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:49 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,514,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapilot View Post
I might be getting a job at hollywood airport, and need to find a place to live in the area if I get hired (Bah, be optimistic, when I get hired!). Coming from way north I don't know the area at all. The income will be low (22k to 25k a year) so 600ish a month will be the goal, but I can stretch to 800 - 900 if that is what is required for the area. Options?
Personal info is that I am a 24 single male.

Thanks for the help!
How on earth are you going to swing $9600-$10800 on rent on that salary? You need to find a roommate or roommates for a lower rent.

Do you mean the Fort Lauderdale airport?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 PM

355 posts, read 1,523,281 times
$600 does sound quite low. Even in dicey areas. I would also recommend a roommate. But if you wanted to live alone, I suppose cheaper rents could be found in some sections in eastern Hollywood, Dania Beach, and South and Central Fort Lauderdale. Not to discount these areas, because I have friends who live there, but they are higher crime areas.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:54 AM

191 posts, read 288,605 times
Move here for a 22-25K a year job?

Honestly it's going to be tight financially. As was mentioned, the rents you can afford are going to put you in to some undesirable areas.

If you really want to live down here, consider getting a part time job as well if possible. If you can find something where you make a few hundred dollars a month it will make a big difference on where you can afford to live.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,288 times
To clarify, the job SHOULD only pay that much for a short time. To be honest moving here isn't my first option but in my chosen profession (pilot) you take what you can get, and this job has a good chance for a fairly quick (6mo to a year) move upwards from a 13ish hourly job to a right seat in a small jet. At this point in my life/career that is a fantastic opportunity. I don't want to plan on the pay increase (and upward movement within the company) because nothing is for sure, doubly so in this industry.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,948,284 times
You can look on HERE for rooms to rent or on Craigs List for rooms or efficiency or use Yellowkeyrealty.com and pick out an area and price range.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM

191 posts, read 288,605 times
Quote:
To clarify, the job SHOULD only pay that much for a short time. To be honest moving here isn't my first option but in my chosen profession (pilot) you take what you can get, and this job has a good chance for a fairly quick (6mo to a year) move upwards from a 13ish hourly job to a right seat in a small jet. At this point in my life/career that is a fantastic opportunity. I don't want to plan on the pay increase (and upward movement within the company) because nothing is for sure, doubly so in this industry.
That puts things in a better perspective. Given those details, you gotta do what you gotta do.

If it fits your lifestyle, renting a room / getting roommates may be the better way to go. I don't know if there are industry specific boards / groups out there - but that might be a good place to start a search. I'm sure that you aren't the only one faced with your type of situation.

If it wouldn't drive you nuts to live with college students, you can probably find roommates that way. I would start with Nova University. The area around the school has tons of apartments, the neighborhood is actually not bad at all, and the drive to the airport wouldn't be a killer.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,514,766 times
Quote:
I would definitely get a roommate or look on craigslist for someone wanting to rent out a room. You could find something nice in your budget.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM

652 posts, read 1,549,696 times
You might be able to find a studio apartment in Dania Beach which is a town near the airport for $600 to $650.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM

216 posts, read 413,391 times
Quote:
I certainly know how low salaries are for new pilots these days. It is just awful how little you guys are paid to start!!

Have you tried pilot website forums to look for a roommate situation with a fellow pilot, which would obviously be advantageous since both of you would travel and would hopefully have at least some days where you have the place to yourself. I have known pilots to room together for that reason.
I would recommend that route, and finding a two bedroom in an apartment community in the east part of Dania Beach or Hollywood (individual apartments in your price range in that area are mostly sketchy).

Good luck with your move and career!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>