Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 PM

126 posts, read 195,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
We moved from Westchester to Broward County in 2000. I grew up on LI. It is slightly less to live in Broward, but not as much as people think.

Our car insurance rates were roughly the same as they were in NY. Our property taxes are lower in FL, but not that much lower. There is no state income tax in FL and that was a big savings but much of it was eaten up by the MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH higher property insurance rates here in FL.

Regarding where to live, I think that you should rent a townhome close to your husband's office (maybe in Coconut Creek or Coral Springs) and start your search for a home when you get here. Forget Martin County. It's a rough commute.
I appreciate the suggestions.

Would you happen to know any town home rentals in those areas?
I did a search last night and I wasn't coming up with any. Only apartment rental complexes.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious1018 View Post

I did a search last night and I wasn't coming up with any. Only apartment rental complexes.

Thanks again.
Apartment rental complexes would work. I don't live up that way so I don't know any specific complexes.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:42 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
You should be able to find Townhouse rental through Zillow. We have. They are mostly rented by investors privately. You could try realtor that specializes in rentals in area you choose. If you are going from a single family house be aware you might not like apt. complex as you will share many walls, ceiling, floors. We went nuts. With Townhouse the walls are usually pretty good for sound & you will not have people above and below you. Many people do not think of this until it is too late.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
If you choose Weston there are many TH rentals prices starting from $1,400 month & up. Other areas I do not know enough about to advise you right now. Lower end you will not get a garage.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:54 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Cool Look First!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious1018 View Post

Thanks again.

From time to time on this board someone will post a thread that they signed a lease via the mail and never saw the property or surrounding area till they moved down......what a HUGE mistake that could be......for many of them ended up in area's that they would not drive through no less live in and now they are stuck for a year or more......you would be better off trying to find an extended stay hotel in the area that offers you a kitchen and 2 bedrooms.......it will be more expensive but at least you will not be trapped in an area you hate...

Yes...your car insurance will be going up...we have never had an accident...no claims...no tickets...etc...and our rates doubled......they even added a form of wind damage to our vehicle's in the event they get blown away during a hurricane...hail damage...etc...on one of the sites I listed they have a link where you can compare insurance companies...and get ready for some of the worse driver's in the world down here......and the snowbird season has not started yet which promises to bring even more of them down here....

Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 AM

126 posts, read 195,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
From time to time on this board someone will post a thread that they signed a lease via the mail and never saw the property or surrounding area till they moved down......what a HUGE mistake that could be......for many of them ended up in area's that they would not drive through no less live in and now they are stuck for a year or more......you would be better off trying to find an extended stay hotel in the area that offers you a kitchen and 2 bedrooms.......it will be more expensive but at least you will not be trapped in an area you hate...

Yes...your car insurance will be going up...we have never had an accident...no claims...no tickets...etc...and our rates doubled......they even added a form of wind damage to our vehicle's in the event they get blown away during a hurricane...hail damage...etc...on one of the sites I listed they have a link where you can compare insurance companies...and get ready for some of the worse driver's in the world down here......and the snowbird season has not started yet which promises to bring even more of them down here....
That is a pretty silly decision, to sign any lease via emal.
That is just something I would never do.
As I stated in my original post, I will be visiting the areas and doing plenty of research while I am there before I make any decisions.
If we decide to move there, I can not stay in an extended stay hotel.
I have a baby. That's just something I won't do either.

I called my auto insurance and they actually quoted both cars, mine and my husbands at a cheaper premium than NY.
Not a huge amount, but it was cheaper not more expensive.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
One thing for sure - Weston doesn't have bad areas. Make sure to visit.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:43 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Not sure where you are in LI but, schools in south Florida are not typically top notch. A lot of seniors and they never met a school tax they didn't like to vote down. And they all have time to vote. Weston, Davie, boca, and points north will work. Martin county is nice but, he better like a Prius and enjoy I-95 and all those really super nice and patient drivers have to offer. Just don't use your turn signals and merging should be a snap.

Coral springs? Pompano? Coconut creek? uh.....nope. Parkland is even being challenged.....one trip west down Atlantic should cure the coconut creek itch. Especially if you go east. Just ask anyone who bought in Deerfield 15 years ago how that turned out. Concealed permits come to mind.

Go west of nob hill or north of Broward county and you should survive.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Go west of nob hill or north of Broward county and you should survive.
Just don't land in Riviera Beach

P.S. is Deerfield that bad?

I remember when we visited S FL just before moving and spent some time on the beach in Deerfield Beach (13+ years ago). Met some people who were already then concerned about worsening crime in that area.

Which is a shame, because DB looks pretty nice on the beach.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Just don't land in Riviera Beach

P.S. is Deerfield that bad?

I remember when we visited S FL just before moving and spent some time on the beach in Deerfield Beach (13+ years ago). Met some people who were already then concerned about worsening crime in that area.

Which is a shame, because DB looks pretty nice on the beach.
Everything looks nice on the beach in the daytime......go north, live well. Broward, for the most part, ain't quite what it used to be 10-20 years ago but, nothing usually is ergo, the migrations. South Florida is no different.

Theres a reason Martin and Port St Lucie are filling up. They are worth it. Although I have heard there are a few spots in Boca that are relatively cheap right now and that area, Glades north 3 or 4 exits is good. Just have to search.

Back to Broward: Hollywood actually had a rebirth, out west you are fine. No to coral springs, most of margate, miramar, coconut creek and 90% of Deerfield. Pompano is very spotty as is ft. Lauderdale unless you can afford private schools. Lighthouse point is nice but, cant tell you about their schools.

If our are going to be there for years, look North, live long, safely, and prosperously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area