Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM

126 posts, read 195,887 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I are located in Long Island, NY. My husband may have the opportunity to relocate within his company to the Pompano Beach office.

I understand there have been many posts asking questions before. However, we have specific questions in regards to the areas surrounding Pompano Beach.

So, I thank you for taking the time in reading this post. I am looking for information on these areas:
Cooper City and Coconut Creek.

We are in our mid-late 30's and we will be moving with our toddler and our two small dogs. We are going to rent first before buying. We will be coming down there to look at the ares prior.
We're hoping to find a nice town house for rent that will be in a safe, family oriented area, that allow dogs.

Our child, will not need school for a few years, however being in a good school district is obviously important. I've also heard most people choose private schools because the schools are not that great in Florida.

I have done some searching on the realtor application, it looks like in order to rent a nice town home or house, the asking rent is around $2k a month. That is higher than I thought it would be.
Is this correct? We'd like to rent in a decent area with affordable rent so that we can save money to buy a home. Most likely a town home or a condo.

Additionally, a couple of people have mentioned great things about Martin County which looks to be a little over an hour drive from Pompano Beach (where DH's job will be). I am not sure my husband will want to commute that far... so, reasonably the most he would probably commute is 30-40 minutes each way.

I am a Stay at home mom currently. DH's salary will increase, but only slightly. However, there is definite room for growth. The reason I state this is because I want to know if the cost of living is cheaper than NY.
It has to be, right? Long Island, where we live is so expensive it's nauseating.

Please shed some light and guidance on the areas I asked about and perhaps recommend other areas that I haven't heard of yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
A quick search of rentals in CC show prices all over the place but lots for way less than $2000 if that is what you seek. Checking those places out for yourself would be the best way to see if they are for you.

Rent Coconut Creek - yellowkeyrealty.com

That is about all I can help you with within your questions.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
A quick search of rentals in CC show prices all over the place but lots for way less than $2000 if that is what you seek. Checking those places out for yourself would be the best way to see if they are for you.

Rent Coconut Creek - yellowkeyrealty.com

That is about all I can help you with within your questions.
Thank you! I will check the link out!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Where in Pompano Beach would help me answer to the best of my ability. We are from NY as well. Lived in So. Fla. from 99-06 in Weston. Renting TH is good option. While cost of living is similar to LI there are many differences as well when factoring in the choices vs. cost of living. Depending on area you choose you do get a lot more for your money down there than on LI. I would choose Cooper City over Coconut Creek especially with a kid. That is a bit of a travel for hubby you still have traffic, in my opinion comparable to here on LI. I did not travel for work and neither did hubby as he had luxury to walk to work, but we do know enough that would not want to sit in traffic if the unbearable heat & humidity. In terms of schools for the future we had no kids in the schools there, but would highly suggest Weston. Great place to raise kids in So. Fla. beautiful there. Commute from Weston would be about same as Cooper City as they are close to each other. Coconut Creek is closer to Pompano though.Also Coral Springs and of course Parkland. Wellington to the north of Pompano in Palm Beach County. We are pondering moving back there & if we do it will be back to Weston (absolutely love it) or Wellington.Hope that helps

Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Default Lie

Traveling from Martin County will take at least an hour each way and at times will resemble the LIE......

I would check out vehicle insurance rates before you move......for mine doubled and I have no accidents and excellent credit......I mentioned credit, because the insurance companies are now using your credit score to set rates......

Try these sites www.myflorida.com www.stateofflorida.com www.listingbook.com they will give you some of the information you will want/need...

Can't help you with the Fort Lauderdale area...for my wife and I move further north basically because we could not afford anything in Fort Lauderdale that we liked......

Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM

389 posts, read 662,578 times
If driving time is an important factor, I'd put Coral Springs atop the list. It's family-oriented with plentiful housing options, and maybe 20 minutes from Pompano Beach.

If money is no object, check out Parkland.

Cooper City and Weston are fine choices, too, but again it depends on the importance of driving time as those are farther away.

Coconut Creek is not a bad place and certainly convenient to Pompano, but I always thought it was a little less family-friendly because the housing seems heavily geared toward young singles and seniors (many apartments and condos), although there are some nice single-family developments in town. Depending on location and the direction of the wind, you also might be within sniffing distance of the stench from the nearby county landfill.

Martin County would be a great choice for anyone working in northern Palm Beach County. It's quiet and uncongested. The schools are well above-average and the lifestyle is much calmer than it is to the south. But the drive, even when traffic is light, would be at least an hour from the southernmost part of Martin County to Pompano Beach. I worked in Stuart for two years because it was the only place I could find suitable employment in my profession during the worst of the recession and had to rent a tiny apartment during the week (driving home on weekends) because the daily commute from my home in northern Fort Lauderdale would have been too much.

Regarding cost of living: Obviously, there's no state income tax here and my guess is you can get more house for the money here than in metro New York when you decide to buy. But watch out for insurance -- auto coverage rates are among the highest in the nation here, and homeowners insurance rates continue to soar because of the cost of windstorm coverage.

Last edited by Papillons2; 10-30-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 AM

191 posts, read 317,746 times
Martin County is nice, but that drive would be pretty rough daily.

If you want family-oriented areas you are probably going to want to look to Weston, Cooper City or Coral Springs. Maybe even some parts of Davie, Sunrise or Plantation (Western sides of these cities - stay away from the east sides).

As for schools - Weston and Cooper City both have good schools. They are safe with good academics. There are some good private schools, but also some crappy ones. You really need to do your research on them. Unfortunately the good ones are pretty expensive. There are also many charter options. As with private schools, the quality can really vary with those.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious1018 View Post
Hello, My husband and I are located in Long Island, NY. My husband may have the opportunity to relocate within his company to the Pompano Beach office.

I understand there have been many posts asking questions before. However, we have specific questions in regards to the areas surrounding Pompano Beach.

So, I thank you for taking the time in reading this post. I am looking for information on these areas:
Cooper City and Coconut Creek.

We are in our mid-late 30's and we will be moving with our toddler and our two small dogs. We are going to rent first before buying. We will be coming down there to look at the ares prior.
We're hoping to find a nice town house for rent that will be in a safe, family oriented area, that allow dogs.

Our child, will not need school for a few years, however being in a good school district is obviously important. I've also heard most people choose private schools because the schools are not that great in Florida.

I have done some searching on the realtor application, it looks like in order to rent a nice town home or house, the asking rent is around $2k a month. That is higher than I thought it would be.
Is this correct? We'd like to rent in a decent area with affordable rent so that we can save money to buy a home. Most likely a town home or a condo.

Additionally, a couple of people have mentioned great things about Martin County which looks to be a little over an hour drive from Pompano Beach (where DH's job will be). I am not sure my husband will want to commute that far... so, reasonably the most he would probably commute is 30-40 minutes each way.

I am a Stay at home mom currently. DH's salary will increase, but only slightly. However, there is definite room for growth. The reason I state this is because I want to know if the cost of living is cheaper than NY.
It has to be, right? Long Island, where we live is so expensive it's nauseating.

Please shed some light and guidance on the areas I asked about and perhaps recommend other areas that I haven't heard of yet.

South Florida is not cheap, if you want to live in a nice neighborhood with good schools.

$2,000 per month will get you a very nice 3 bedroom condo, even in Weston (where the good schools are).
I am currently renting a 4BR condo in Weston, I am paying $2,100 per month, but we started that rent 3 years ago.

Cooper City is also a very nice area.

You also may want to check out Parkland, but it could be pricey.

I am not too familiar with Coconut Creek, but never heard any raving reviews.

Commuting from Martin County? That will get old pretty soon.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Where in Pompano Beach would help me answer to the best of my ability. We are from NY as well. Lived in So. Fla. from 99-06 in Weston. Renting TH is good option. While cost of living is similar to LI there are many differences as well when factoring in the choices vs. cost of living. Depending on area you choose you do get a lot more for your money down there than on LI. I would choose Cooper City over Coconut Creek especially with a kid. That is a bit of a travel for hubby you still have traffic, in my opinion comparable to here on LI. I did not travel for work and neither did hubby as he had luxury to walk to work, but we do know enough that would not want to sit in traffic if the unbearable heat & humidity. In terms of schools for the future we had no kids in the schools there, but would highly suggest Weston. Great place to raise kids in So. Fla. beautiful there. Commute from Weston would be about same as Cooper City as they are close to each other. Coconut Creek is closer to Pompano though.Also Coral Springs and of course Parkland. Wellington to the north of Pompano in Palm Beach County. We are pondering moving back there & if we do it will be back to Weston (absolutely love it) or Wellington.Hope that helps
I actually commute from Weston to Pompano Beach area. 30 min door to door without traffic. Up to 1 hour on a bad traffic day, but that's not very often. I actually tend remote in and work from home during the morning rush hour and then drive to the office.

Do you know where in Pompano his office is?

Old 10-30-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I actually commute from Weston to Pompano Beach area. 30 min door to door without traffic. Up to 1 hour on a bad traffic day, but that's not very often. I actually tend remote in and work from home during the morning rush hour and then drive to the office.

Do you know where in Pompano his office is?
That is not too bad. His office is off of NW 40th Court, Pompano Beach 33064
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area