U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am renting a room right now but am looking for my future place to live. Are there any other gayborhoods that are not Wilton Manor? Any up and coming areas that a large gay population is moving to.

I like Wilton Manor but apartments are not as easy to come by and I am kinda specific in what I am seeking.

Thanks,
Billmond131
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,994,225 times
The Las Olas area has a large openly gay population but also has many non gays. I guess Las Olas area could be called a very accepting area rather than a gayborhood.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 PM

652 posts, read 1,564,502 times
San Francisco, WeHo, The Village.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:18 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,107,312 times
There is a tiny pocket of mostly gay guys living in Dania Beach near the intersection of US 1 and Sheridan Street ... the "anchor" is a gay vacation motel called Liberty Suites. It's a convenient location, but not "posh" nor "fashionable."

BTW the original "gayborhood" ... and, yes, it is called "The Gayborhood" ... is in Center City Philadelphia not far from City Hall, it is where 9/10 of the LGBT businesses in this city are located, as well as the LGBT Community Center.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 AM

40 posts, read 77,864 times
I have been doing extensive research on the same issue that you mentioned, and after much research, and many, many, interviews with Gay's, I have pretty much concluded my research.
Of course we all know that Wilton Manors is the Gay Mecca, an also very pricey for some couples to afford. I have discovered that many Gay couples with varying degree's of finances, have decided to spread out to all neighboring area's around WM. Numerous Gay couples and singles have invested in Oakland Pk, and there are many Gay couples from all other parts of the country that want to move down here, but find Oakland Pk, a bit sketchy, and a high crime area. I have discovered that numerous gay couples and singles are migrating out to other area's that they feel are safer, such as Margate, Tamarac, Coconut Creek, and North Andrew Gardens.
I have had the pleasure of meeting and discussing with so many Gay couples and singles, that have purchased Single Family Homes, Villa's/Townhouses, and Condo's within the Margate and Coconut Creek area, and are truly enjoying it, especially since WM is within such a close proximity. It's amazing how many have invested primarily in Margate, Tamarac, and Coconut Creek area, especially because of the affordability factor, and let's face it, there are Gay couples that have children, and also want to consider the school district, and are pleased with the schools in these area's. I don't know about Schools, I don't have kids in school.
It is truly nice to know that finally LGBT people are taking roots in these area's and how finally there is some progress with all getting along within Gayborhoods, and Family neighborhoods that are adjoining.
Good Luck

Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 AM

50 posts, read 78,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal1 View Post
I have been doing extensive research on the same issue that you mentioned, and after much research, and many, many, interviews with Gay's, I have pretty much concluded my research.
Of course we all know that Wilton Manors is the Gay Mecca, an also very pricey for some couples to afford. I have discovered that many Gay couples with varying degree's of finances, have decided to spread out to all neighboring area's around WM. Numerous Gay couples and singles have invested in Oakland Pk, and there are many Gay couples from all other parts of the country that want to move down here, but find Oakland Pk, a bit sketchy, and a high crime area. I have discovered that numerous gay couples and singles are migrating out to other area's that they feel are safer, such as Margate, Tamarac, Coconut Creek, and North Andrew Gardens.
I have had the pleasure of meeting and discussing with so many Gay couples and singles, that have purchased Single Family Homes, Villa's/Townhouses, and Condo's within the Margate and Coconut Creek area, and are truly enjoying it, especially since WM is within such a close proximity. It's amazing how many have invested primarily in Margate, Tamarac, and Coconut Creek area, especially because of the affordability factor, and let's face it, there are Gay couples that have children, and also want to consider the school district, and are pleased with the schools in these area's. I don't know about Schools, I don't have kids in school.
It is truly nice to know that finally LGBT people are taking roots in these area's and how finally there is some progress with all getting along within Gayborhoods, and Family neighborhoods that are adjoining.
Good Luck
North Andrews Gardens is in Oakland Park. IIRC, it is the largest neighborhood in the City. I'd say Oakland Park is fine as long as you live away from the center of the City. Royal Palm Area and the Corals both come to mind as neighborhoods with large gay populations, good homes, and easy access to Wilton Manors.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM

1,244 posts, read 563,302 times
It's all gay......

Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 AM

438 posts, read 612,123 times
I've never understood why gay people would want to narrow themselves to any so-called " Gay Mecca". I don't believe there's really any such thing as a gayborhood. I'm all the way out in the burbs of Plantation and there are a lot of gay people even here. There are gay people pretty much everywhere in south Florida---even if the particular place isn't as flamboyant as Wilton Manors. Just move. Wherever you go, there you are...

Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM

6,994 posts, read 16,631,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmond131 View Post
Hi,
I am renting a room right now but am looking for my future place to live. Are there any other gayborhoods that are not Wilton Manor? Any up and coming areas that a large gay population is moving to.

I like Wilton Manor but apartments are not as easy to come by and I am kinda specific in what I am seeking.

Thanks,
Billmond131
northern section of Victoria Park and Flagler Village

Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM

6,994 posts, read 16,631,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
San Francisco, WeHo, The Village.
I think that person was asking about Fort lauderdale in particular, but you left out Chelsea in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area