U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2007, 03:12 PM

134 posts, read 377,752 times

Advertisements

Hi. I currently live in AZ and love it for the weather but my twin sister just moved to Sunrise, Fl and all of my family is on the east coast. I guess it being thanksgiving is really making me miss being able to be closer to them. My husband and I love AZ for many reasons and dislike it for some.. I'd love to be able to move closer to my sister but unfortunately, she lives in an expensive area where the salaries are alot lower than we have here and where cost of living is very high. Also, my husband has asthma and we are very afraid to move back to humid weather (being from NY originally).

My questions are... are there any areas within an hour or so of Sunrise/Plantation that are cheaper to live and also safe.. we were told to be careful of certain areas directly around Miami, but there is a ton of crime in AZ so we have to be careful where we live here too.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I really would like to be closer to my sister and to be honest, I prefer east coast people to west coasters, just from my experience.

Last edited by nankjay; 11-22-2007 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: wrong choice of words
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 04:12 PM

6,994 posts, read 16,639,360 times
hmmm,

what is your price range?

Old 11-22-2007, 06:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,675,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njay View Post
Hi. I currently live in AZ and love it for the weather but my twin sister just moved to Sunrise, Fl and all of my family is on the east coast. I guess it being thanksgiving is really making me miss being able to be closer to them. My husband and I love AZ for many reasons and dislike it for some.. I'd love to be able to move closer to my sister but unfortunately, she lives in an expensive area where the salaries are alot lower than we have here and where cost of living is very high. Also, my husband has asthma and we are very afraid to move back to humid weather (being from NY originally).

My questions are... are there any areas within an hour or so of Sunrise/Plantation that are cheaper to live and also safe.. we were told to be careful of certain areas directly around Miami, but there is a ton of crime in AZ so we have to be careful where we live here too.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I really would like to be closer to my sister and to be honest, I prefer east coast people to west coasters, just from my experience.
Yeah there is, it's Sunrise. Probably one of the most affordable areas in the county and assuming you stay west, the crime is fairly low. You shouldn't have a problem finding a 1 bedroom for 800 a month in an alright part of Sunrise, but the key is to stay west, the west is best. Use Nob Hill Road as a de facto border, areas east of that roadway are starting to get consumed by Lauderhill, which isn't so nice, or are 55 plus. Try parts of neighboring Tamarac (use University Drive as your boundary) and Coral Springs (most of the city is fine, if it isn't you will see it) as well. Margate is also considerably more affordable than other cities. Basically, look for cities that are fairly safe,but with crappy school districts, because you pay less. If you can't go above 800, than I would suggest looking somewhere else. To tell you the truth, crime here tends to get over rated. The only areas that are bad enough that I wouldn't be caught dead in during the daylight are Carver Ranches (Thats way down in Hollywood), parts of west Pompano Beach, NW Fort Lauderdale, and that's all I can think of at the moment. As far as where I wouldn't live due to crime, include Lauderhill, east Miramar, Lauderdale Lakes, Deerfield Beach, Dania Beach, a lot of Hollywood, Oakland Park, Pompano Beach, and west of Dixie in Fort Lauderdale. In all honesty, the rest of the county is fine, which includes the cities of Sunrise (for the most part), Plantation, Davie, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines,west Miramar, Weston, Tamarac, Coral Springs, Parkland, and anywhere east of U.S.1. Some areas better than others, but if you stay west of University Drive, you aren't going to encounter any crazy ghettos, and if you venture east, I wouldn't live there, but you shouldn't exactly be afraid to buy gas there during the day. Just use common sense like you would in any other city. I would say about 1% of the county is pure danger, 24% of it is unlivable, and 75% of it is fine, and out of that about 10-15% of it is among the safest you will find in a metro area. There has been an increase in robbery and (non random) homicide as of late, but unbelievably, the property crime rate is STILL going down. If you aren't working at a convenience store, fast food restaurant, or a drug store, and stay out of the trouble spots, you won't have a problem in most areas.

Your lungs are going to actually feel better in FL; AZ's particle air pollution is terrible, Fort Lauderdale/Miami's pollution is very low (90% EPA "Good" days, zero percent action days), except for a few fires.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-22-2007 at 06:27 PM..

Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM

355 posts, read 1,529,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njay View Post
....... Also, my husband has asthma and we are very afraid to move back to humid weather (being from NY originally)......

It can get very humid here, and it is expected in the summer months. However, currently the weather is particularly beautiful. Moderator cut: link removed

Ft. lauderdale gave some good insight regarding places to look into.

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 03:13 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 09:39 AM

90 posts, read 359,550 times
Try Jacarand Village Apartments in Plantation Fl, I used to live there and loved it. It is clean and safe. Also close to Sunrise and Broward Mall and Sawgrass Mall. Lots of stores and shopping.
tcar509
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area