U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 PM

49 posts, read 96,063 times

Advertisements

Is it a good place to raise a family?
Is it pedestrian friendly? If not pedestrian friendly, are there other neighborhoods within 15 minutes or so of plantation that are pedestrian and kid friendly?
Is it safe?
What else can you tell me about plantation?

Thank you very much! I'm narrowing down my search!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 12:48 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,978,207 times
West Plantation west of Pine Island road IMO is a nice area and safe. West Davie is also nice and safe. No place is totally safe since criminals travel but if you can find a nice gated community then that helps to keep some of those who travel around looking for soft targets away.

In Davie there is Forrest Ridge off Pine Island south of SR84 is nice and many places in Plantation west of Pine Island road on or not far off Broward Blvd.

Always best to drive around yourself to see what neighborhood suite your needs and within your price range. I find Yellowkeyrealty.com a useful site to check price ranges and availability just by typing in an area and then searching those listings.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:55 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,177,516 times
Plantation is quite expansive. East Plantation is so-so, and borders with not so presentable areas of Fort Lauderdale.

Also it borders with Lauderhill, which is not very nice.

Best bet with Plantation would be West Plantation as others wrote.

I don't think any part of Plantation is walkable if you mean walking to do your shopping or go out to eat or get entertainment. Most South Florida is not walkable. Also wait 'till the middle of the summer and you will quickly change your opinion on walking everywhere. Or until you get caught walking in a downpour, half way to your destination.

Check out this walkability meter:
Plantation Apartments for Rent and Plantation Rentals - Walk Score

Beach areas tend to have higher walk scores. Sunny Isles, for example.
Sunny Isles Beach Apartments for Rent and Sunny Isles Beach Rentals - Walk Score

Old 12-28-2013, 01:57 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,177,516 times
BTW you never told us where you currently live This may help find something closer to what you are used to

Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM

I live in Texas but I hate it here. So the opposite of Texas is good lol

Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM

More specifically I don't like it how very much suburban it is. There is no city center where people gather...borking , boring, boring. I don't like being in the middle of super busy either, I have a child--something in between would be nice. At least if I can walk to some sort of town center, that's good enough.
Main reason for moving though is we a any to be closer to family and sick of the weather here. I know it gets very hot there, but here it's indoor weather all year round.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:41 PM

64 posts, read 141,862 times
It seems like you are wanting to live close to a downtown/city center or something. Broward County is mostly just all suburban sprawl.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Or a town square...that would work. Somewhere like old town Alexandria would be ideal, if any of you are familiar with it...

Old 12-28-2013, 02:54 PM

64 posts, read 141,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by know2walk View Post
Or a town square...that would work. Somewhere like old town Alexandria would be ideal, if any of you are familiar with it...
There is a town center in Weston. Great place if you are raising kids. Although we used to call it the Colombian mafia headquarters jokingly. Lots of upper/middle class, wealthier Colombians live there, or so I remember from 8-10 years ago.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:22 PM

That's funny PNG! I have had Weston come up several times...I think it's worth considering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area