Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

I applied for unemployment on 9/12/2013, everything was approved but it turns out I missed something in the workforce paperwork...ok I went back and completed that...ok all is well now, I have been told more than once everything is in order and looks good, now I have been told my claim is in adjudication and that it went to an adjudicator on the 5th of Nov. now we are into December and with the holidays approaching it sure would be nice to collect my benefits. Any thoughts or advise on this subject would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcovington View Post
I applied for unemployment on 9/12/2013, everything was approved but it turns out I missed something in the workforce paperwork...ok I went back and completed that...ok all is well now, I have been told more than once everything is in order and looks good, now I have been told my claim is in adjudication and that it went to an adjudicator on the 5th of Nov. now we are into December and with the holidays approaching it sure would be nice to collect my benefits. Any thoughts or advise on this subject would be appreciated.
Since my husband was transferred across the state and I had to quit my job, I also applied on September 1st. I figured, what the heck? Fast forward to today I haven't seen a single penny and I just gave up.

The website is a cluster, hard to use, hard to read, just a joke really. Fortunately my husband is the primary bread winner so I'm not worried about keeping my lights on but I feel bad for people who really need that money.

And good luck getting through by phone.

Florida needs to straighten this out for the people who are really hurting.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:44 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
The law clearly states you can not collect unemployment if you quit your job. In order to get unemployment you have to lose job due to no fault of your own. If people could get unemployment when they quit a job many people would be doing just that too often.

We want to re-locate soon and if he could quit job and collect during move that would be great! He does not have option for transfer with his job.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
The law clearly states you can not collect unemployment if you quit your job. In order to get unemployment you have to lose job due to no fault of your own. If people could get unemployment when they quit a job many people would be doing just that too often.

We want to re-locate soon and if he could quit job and collect during move that would be great! He does not have option for transfer with his job.
You would be wrong.

If you have to quit your job for reasons like mine, that my husband was relocated, you are absolutely able to collect. If you quit because of a hostile work environment, you are eligible. Also, think about military spouses.

Leaving my job was not my choice. In your husband's situation he would not be eligible. Also, you have to work in Florida for something like 18 months to be eligible.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Tell that to the ALJ see what he says. In most cases you will not be awarded benefits. You say to this day you still have not gotten anything. Why? Because they will not award you benefits because you quit your job. If you quit job and can prove there is good reason like you were being harassed or something or the company you worked for did things to you that were against the law maybe ...just maybe you might get sympathetic judge after being denied through normal denial process.

Still if you claim you can get awarded benefits if you quit give me link or tell me where it is written because I would like to see that what you are saying is actually true as laws have changed over the past few years. They might be temporarily awarding benefits for this reason during the bad economic times.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM

On a side note as every situation is different. Yes my husband is eligible if we want to move. Will tell you why his company cut hours to employees to avoid paying benefits. That is a nasty secret & trick that companies use. Quitting using that reason QUALIFIES a person for benefits. We choose not to. He eventually after a few weeks was hired P/T at another facility for same company making him F/T for company. Odd but true. He is very valued but the individual locations have their "quotas" so to speak. He has been working like this for past 5 years and works great.

Also the several reason you can be awarded benefits if you quit are as follows.

Intolerable conditions
Family emergency
Taking care of sick relative (done that when dad had cancer)
Discrimination
Unsafe Health conditions
Not being paid (it happens)
Laid off
Changed duties (odd)
Medical reasons.

Even though it is a federal program the rules do vary by state.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Tell that to the ALJ see what he says. In most cases you will not be awarded benefits. You say to this day you still have not gotten anything. Why? Because they will not award you benefits because you quit your job. If you quit job and can prove there is good reason like you were being harassed or something or the company you worked for did things to you that were against the law maybe ...just maybe you might get sympathetic judge after being denied through normal denial process.

Still if you claim you can get awarded benefits if you quit give me link or tell me where it is written because I would like to see that what you are saying is actually true as laws have changed over the past few years. They might be temporarily awarding benefits for this reason during the bad economic times.
Let me clear this up for you.

I was found to be eligible for benefits by the state of Florida.

The website was such a cluster to use, I gave up, therefore, I didn't get any money. I didn't pursue the money because I didn't need it.

Being found eligible for unemployment in Florida has no correlation to actually getting any money. See the OP's original post.

As far as your husband's situation, if he did not work in Florida, he cannot claim unemployment benefits in Florida, he will have to file in the state he worked.

I have no idea why you are trying to argue this with me since this has nothing to do with you.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Back to OP topic. Do you know if employer is fighting or disputing your claim? Hopefully the judge/adjudicator makes the decision soon. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,953 times
What if you moved to another state? You were denied because you had insufficient wages to qualify for monetary eligibility in Florida. But you sent off to get you wages combined from your previous state where you worked. Now the wages finally arrived four months later and they say your claim is in adjudication. But before that happen they claim the reason I wasn't eligible was because they didn't have my wages from my other state. Now everything is on hold.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Let me clear this up for you.

I was found to be eligible for benefits by the state of Florida.

The website was such a cluster to use, I gave up, therefore, I didn't get any money. I didn't pursue the money because I didn't need it.

Being found eligible for unemployment in Florida has no correlation to actually getting any money. See the OP's original post.

As far as your husband's situation, if he did not work in Florida, he cannot claim unemployment benefits in Florida, he will have to file in the state he worked.

I have no idea why you are trying to argue this with me since this has nothing to do with you.
Yeah, apparently there are severe issues with the website.

TALLAHASSEE: Florida unemployment benefits still tied up as website problems persist - Florida - MiamiHerald.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area