U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 8,259 times

Advertisements

I have been procrastinating a relocation to Florida for the past 10 years with excuse after excuse. I have finally made the commitment along with my wife to finally put the house up for sale and head south.

We are very Happy where we are and will BE Happy wherever we go because that is our choice.

What we love and long for is:

More Sunshine
More time to be outdoors in nature
OCEAN
Bugs and Plants and Animals

I am a 42 year old Author of the upcoming book, The 20-Year Head start. I am also a working fitness trainer and nutritionist. I have many skills in Retail, Management, Sales, Training, Fitness etc. That should help me to find employment wherever I go.

My Wife is a Certified Nursing Assistant with a specialty in Alzheimers and Dementia. She works as a Home Health Aid and as a Cafe Manager. Her goal is to work in a Nursing Home or Assisted Living Facility for Elderly.

We have a 12 year old daughter who loves Music and Acting. She is very interested in a place with a Childrens theater or school where she can pursue her dreams in Theater and Acting.

Our son is 14 and is an avid Freestyle Scooter rider/skater that loves being outside at a skatepark. He is also very interested in Video and Music Production so we were hoping to find a Vo-Tech or Charter High School where he could pursue those dreams and goals.

As a Family we are VERY tied to the movement and energy of the Ocean and need to be within a 30 minute drive to the Beach.

Looking to rent a 3+ Bedroom Single Home or Town Home to get started before we decide to Buy.

Obviously a safe area where the kids can be outside until dark playing and exploring.

Any suggestions, help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Please refrain from Hatful or negative comments about "Florida Sucks", "Don't move here" etc...

We realize that everyone's experience and satisfaction is not the same. We are looking for comments from open minded Happy People that share our LOVE for LIFE, COMMUNITY and CONNECTION!

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:24 PM

11,742 posts, read 10,935,177 times
Wow. A lot of what you want would be in the burbs, Weston, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, etc. but some of what you want is in Miami.

My suggestion would be for one of you to secure work before you do anything and let that dictate where you live.

I don't know where you are coming from but South Florida is expensive. Car insurance, gas, housing, groceries, etc.

Quickest way to ruin your experience is to run out of money.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM

2,959 posts, read 12,741,481 times
Good response and advice.

Bestsellingauthor ( FYI your royalties won't pay the utilities) - do you have a budget ? That will be a start in determining the area, etc.

Coral Springs, Parkland, Weston, etc.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 AM

655 posts, read 864,668 times
I would highly advise against Coral Springs and Parkland, as they are the two snobbiest towns in Broward County. I should know, since I used to live in Coral Springs and had several friends who lived in Parkland. If you want a nice, more typically middle class community where you won't be around people who are constantly trying to keep up with the Joneses (although, admittedly, this is kind of the norm in south FL), then avoid Coral Spring and Parkland and look to Plantation, Pembroke Pines or someplace like that.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:34 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,853,166 times
One of the reasons to move to Florida is the beaches, so if you would like to be a short hop to the beach and also in a nice area, then the Las Olas area of Fort Lauderdale might fit your needs depending on what you can afford. Moderator cut: No Real Estate Agencies Please

Weston, Pembroke Pines, Plantation west, or Davie west would all be nice areas but if you do not speak Spanish, then my opinion would not be Miami, or west Pembroke Pines and maybe not even much of Weston. Parkland is also a nice area and I also think I would stay away from Coral Springs.

Good luck in whatever you decide, there should be plenty of jobs for your wife in healthcare.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-13-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 8,259 times
Thank you for the advice! We would have about $15/$20k after moving expenses left from the sale of our home up here to help get us through a few months while looking for work, however it would be good to secure a job prior to a move!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM

11,742 posts, read 10,935,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestSellingAuthor View Post
Thank you for the advice! We would have about $15/$20k after moving expenses left from the sale of our home up here to help get us through a few months while looking for work, however it would be good to secure a job prior to a move!
South Florida is a different animal. Without one of you having a job, I would have 12 months saved up. That money will go quick.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM

4,326 posts, read 6,867,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestSellingAuthor View Post
I have been procrastinating a relocation to Florida for the past 10 years with excuse after excuse. I have finally made the commitment along with my wife to finally put the house up for sale and head south.

We are very Happy where we are and will BE Happy wherever we go because that is our choice.

What we love and long for is:

More Sunshine
More time to be outdoors in nature
OCEAN
Bugs and Plants and Animals

I am a 42 year old Author of the upcoming book, The 20-Year Head start. I am also a working fitness trainer and nutritionist. I have many skills in Retail, Management, Sales, Training, Fitness etc. That should help me to find employment wherever I go.

My Wife is a Certified Nursing Assistant with a specialty in Alzheimers and Dementia. She works as a Home Health Aid and as a Cafe Manager. Her goal is to work in a Nursing Home or Assisted Living Facility for Elderly.

We have a 12 year old daughter who loves Music and Acting. She is very interested in a place with a Childrens theater or school where she can pursue her dreams in Theater and Acting.

Our son is 14 and is an avid Freestyle Scooter rider/skater that loves being outside at a skatepark. He is also very interested in Video and Music Production so we were hoping to find a Vo-Tech or Charter High School where he could pursue those dreams and goals.

As a Family we are VERY tied to the movement and energy of the Ocean and need to be within a 30 minute drive to the Beach.

Looking to rent a 3+ Bedroom Single Home or Town Home to get started before we decide to Buy.

Obviously a safe area where the kids can be outside until dark playing and exploring.

Any suggestions, help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Please refrain from Hatful or negative comments about "Florida Sucks", "Don't move here" etc...

We realize that everyone's experience and satisfaction is not the same. We are looking for comments from open minded Happy People that share our LOVE for LIFE, COMMUNITY and CONNECTION!

Thank you!

Hi. My daughter is in the musical theater program at the Cypress Bay School in Weston, FL (and before that she was in the musical theater at the Falcon Cove Middle School in Weston). Very nice programs. One of her older friends who went through this musical program is now studying at the Boston Conservatory and another one is in the theater program at Pace.

BTW a few years ago, one Weston high school kid had his own little show on MTV.

We are not near the ocean, but we can easily drive to the beach.

Look up Weston:

Weston, FL - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM

167 posts, read 214,924 times
Lol you do not need to know Spanish anywhere in the Miami area (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties). The only places where one could meet a lot of people people that don't know English or good enough English are in places where you expect it like Little Havana, Little Haiti and suburbs like Hialeah.

Like I've said before, there are people here who are racist and ignorant, I highly suggest you ignore them. Unless you want "white" english speaking only areas. But how boring is that? Lol.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM

167 posts, read 214,924 times
For your daughter and son, the best and only option is in the city (Miami) or a suburb very near the city. Also, depends how far you or your children are willing to drive to reach certain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area