Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times

Advertisements

Hi, im 31 and on a fixed income. What are some cheap but not in a bad area places Also if anyone has experience of south florida and california cost of living wich is more affordable electric food and rent in general as well as a good social atmosphere and easyer to navigate without a car

Last edited by Born2befree; 01-21-2014 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Not enough info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM

35 posts, read 61,137 times
Hey there. Well, comparing cost of living from Cali to Florida, hands-down Florida wins for being a much less expensive place to live, if that's all you're looking at. Factoring in quality of life, Cali probably takes the win on that one, as there's much more to do and see.

But Florida certainly has its strong points where quality of life is concerned.

I've lived all over south Florida and have to say I've found my city in Fort Lauderdale, that's after living in Miami, Hallandale Beach, Lauderhill, North Miami Beach and Hollywood among other places.

I can offer two places that I've lived where I think you might enjoy.

- Hollywood, FL

Now Hollywood, FL is a nice quaint place, and has a small town feel about it, and if you live east of the FEC railroad tracks, you can find some decent affordable accommodations. It's also fairly close to the beach, which is a nice bonus if you don't have a car. The beach 'boardwalk' is really nice, with shops and restaurants just steps from the sand on the beach. It is a small town, so if you're looking more of a city feel, you may want to venture to another city in South Florida. In Hollywood you can get a decent older studio for about $500 per month, and upwards to around $700 for a very nice condo rental. If I were to rate Hollywood on an overall scale between 1 and 5 thumbs up, I'd give it .

- Fort Lauderdale

As I've stated, I've lived in many different places in Florida, and have found that the city that offers quality of life, cultural activities, easy access to the beach, arts districts and affordability, Fort Lauderdale is definitely a forerunner among cities in Florida. In addition to its museums, beaches, and nightlife, Fort Lauderdale is home to the Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop, a large indoor/outdoor flea market and the site of the world's largest drive-in movie theater, with 13 screens. The International Swimming Hall of Fame is its pride and joy and is located on Fort Lauderdale beach, and houses a large aquatic complex as well as a museum, theater, and research library. Hugh Taylor Birch State Park is a favorite of mine with its 180-acre park along the beach, nature trails, camping, picnicking areas and canoeing.

Fort Lauderdale's arts and entertainment district rivals many other metro cities like Miami, IMO, and can be found on the Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District in the Downtown area. It's a great place to be if you're an artist or even just an art lover. The district is anchored in the West by the Broward Center for the Performing Arts which has all your named performers that visit there often.

As far as rent is concerned, there are some lower income rentals in FTL that you can find around $400 and up for a studio or 1 bedroom. Try looking at Eclipse Apartments. They have a great location in downtown and the rents are very low. There is a maximum amount that you can make, so know that there are income restrictions. It's in the heart of downtown and a very nice new building.

I have to say after living in Fort Lauderdale, it's been a real treat because of so many thing to do here. I highly recommend taking the Water Taxi here to explore even more places on the intercoastal, which house million dollar homes and really is a sight to see.

If I were to rate Fort Lauderdale on an overall scale between 1 and 5 thumbs up, I'd give it

I took this photo of Fort Lauderdale's intercoastal on Las Olas blvd.

Last edited by pokiemon; 01-23-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area