U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are considering a move to Broward county. He has a potential job lined up with south fl prison in Doral. We live about an hour from NYC now and have no real knowledge of the area in Fl. I hae done a lot of research and have decided on Miramar or Pembroke Pines. We have a pitbull so Miami-Dade is out of the question. (Please no negative pittie comments or tell us to leave her behind- its out of the question. We love her to pieces and she is our child.) We are 28 & 33 years old, no children, will be looking to buy a house around S200k, after we rent for about a year to make sure we love the area. We will be visiting next month to check out the neighborhoods but until then, I have a few non traditional questions that if anyone could answer would be awesome.

1) How is the nightlife in Miramar? Any places to walk to or is everywhere too far? We are big into heavy metal and love going to shows.... is there any place like that in the immediate area?
2) How long of a commute would it be from Miramar to the prison with traffic?
3) Is this an "elderly" town or are there younger couples mixed in?
4) How far to the closest beach?
5) Is there any place to ride quads in the area?
6) How far is Miramar from Fort Lauderdale airport?

Please feel free to add anything else you want to your reply. Especially looking to hear from people in their youngers 30s. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM

191 posts, read 293,018 times
Let's see,

1) None. Miramar is a really long, narrow city so you can walk some places - but not many. Miramar is a very heavily populated by citizens who aren't what you would call "Heavy Metal" types. More like steel drum types.

2) Depending on the time of day and the route taken, probably 45 minutes - an hour.

3) Pembroke Pines is more elderly than Miramar, but both are fairly young.

4) Depends on the part of each city you are in. Maybe half an hour, maybe a little more.

5) Teens seem to think riding them through the city streets is fine. Police and sane people disagree. I'm not too familiar myself, but I'm sure there are areas in the western part of the county (Everglades) to ride.

6) Depends on the part of Miramar and traffic. Sometimes you can do it in 30-45 minutes. There's no real good east-west route without a bunch of lights. Once you get to I-95 it's only a few minutes north.

Just a thing to consider... most places will not rent to someone with a pitbull. (or German Shep, Dobie, etc.) Dumb, but something you will have to deal with.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM

972 posts, read 803,791 times
I can't comment on the Miramar area as I live in Delray Beach, but wrt to your sweet pittie I would say look into a single family home rental. There are generally a lot in the area and might be more open to the breed especially since it is only one dog. You'll also most likely get a fence. We have a pit as well, was so nice to hear that you wouldn't leave her behind. They are the most loving dogs!!! I'm still newish to this area so I'm not sure how close these areas are to the prison but Ft. Lauderdale Las Olas/Wilton Manors and Deerfield Beach have a much younger vibe and walkable downtowns. Delray Beach does as well but it is probably too far. Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM

438 posts, read 614,000 times
As far as Miramar goes, there's no such thing as night life there. Depending on the type of nightlife desired (nice restaurants, bars, dance clubs,...) you would have to drive either to Fort Lauderdale or to Miami/South Beach. You will not be walking to these places and the public transportation system here is nonexistent compared to that in NYC, so don't plan on that. Bring your car or plan to buy one. Depending on where in Miramar you will be living there are some places that you can walk to, but there are some areas there where I would not recommend walking around...especially at night. The further west you are, the better. It is generally a safe and clean city to live in. The population there, it would seem, is largely middle class Caribbean immigrants and African American. You're not going to find any heavy metal/rock bars around there. In fact, you're not going to find too much of that anywhere around southeast Florida, except maybe for a few bars and a mostly underground scene in Fort Lauderdale. The demographics of this entire metro area has changed a lot over the past 20 years, and even the terrestrial radio stations have changed format to match up with it. Long ago, they used to have at least two radio stations that I knew of that played all types of contemporary rock. Both have since changed format and no longer air that type of music. There is still one station that plays classic rock, but not much heavy metal. The way around this is to get satellite radio for your car and your home. There is a smattering of places that have live rock music in/near Fort Lauderdale and a pub inside the Hard Rock in Hollywood. None of these places are venues that I would go to or recommend, and they certainly do not compare to the bars and nightclubs around New York City, but as I mentioned before, the pickings are slim.

Travel time between Miramar to Doral depends on time of day and whether you take the Turnpike or the Palmetto (I do not recommend the latter because it is usually clogged tight during peak hours). I agree with Ralanprod, even though pitbulls are allowed in Broward county some places will not lease to you if you own one.

Although I agree with Klaucka's post that the Las Olas area has a younger vibe and is more walkable it is also more expensive to live there, and since it is all the way east in Downtown Fort Lauderdale the commute to Doral would take quite a bit longer. I would skip Wilton Manors; and Deerfield and Delray are both too far away. You have to right idea to stay in southwest Broward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area