U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 6,229 times

Advertisements

Hello There. We are from Pa and my husbands Job wants to relocate him to the Miami Area(Job is on North Bay Village in Miami Beach). I know that this area is a bit of a commute but that is ok(30-50 minutes give or take would be probably good) if we can get more house, safe neighborhoods, great schools for the price. We have 3 children 12,8,3 and I am a SAHM unless I have to end up working. We really would like to move but are really not knowledgeable of the area. My hubby has been to the office once before and knows that the general vicinity unless you are living in a mansion is not the place to raise children. I have heard good things about Weston but is there other areas like this in the Fort Lauderdale area. I am ok with the cookie cutter deal as I already live in the Suburbs and though my neighborhood is a new development it's not the cookie cutter deal. We like the family atmosphere since my children will have to make all new friends. We wouldn't want a neighborhood that would not have children. We would like to maybe rent first but looking to buy eventually is our thoughts at least. Rental budget is maybe around 2000 give or take. And our House price for now is around 350,000 give or take. Hubby stands to make more money in Miami so our budget could change in time which is why renting is in our thoughts. Any Advise would be helpful..Oh and no we do not speak spanish, so Is this really a problem? All the Know it all's around here we tell that we are thinking of moving tell us we won't survive without speaking it. Is this true?

Last edited by Stayathomewith3; 02-28-2014 at 10:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 AM

191 posts, read 278,718 times
You don't need to speak Spanish to survive here. Does it help at times? Sure, but I've lived here my entire life and still don't speak it really. Even people who are primarily Spanish speakers can usually muster up enough English to communicate well enough. Heck, I work in Hialeah which is predominantly Spanish speaking and never have any issues.

As for where to live... that's a tougher issue. With kids, Weston is probably your best bet - but the drive is going to be longer than ideal. In all honesty though, to get to North Bay Village it's going to be a hike no matter where you live. The problem is that there really are no "good" routes to take. From anywhere to the north you will have to take 95 south and then go across 79th street.

I would definitely recommend renting first if you aren't familiar with the area. There are little quirks in living in S. Florida that you don't really see until you have been here for a while.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area