Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 34,834 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband just got a job offer with a company in Fort Lauderdale. We currently live in Austin, TX and are trying to make a decision. (I have never been there before!) We have a two year old and another one on the way!

1. What are good neighborhoods to consider? Safety is a top priority, along with a good school district or at least a good elementary school? Is there a particular neighborhood where more Indians tend to live?

2. What is the housing market like there right now? What is the median range for homes in the neighborhoods you would recommend?

3. How family friendly is South Florida?

Thank you so much for helping us make our decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 24,988 times
Hello! Im from the Broward area and can be of assistance here.

The map of Broward up at the top of this forum is actually a handy little feature. I'd use it to scroll around and see the areas.

If you're looking for other Indians there arent a whole lot of areas but i'd say a lot of them live in the area around Nova (Davie + Plantation) and Southwest Broward (Pembroke Pines and Miramar). Those neighborhoods are very diverse in general and you'll get a good mix of black, white, Hispanic and some Asian. I'm not sure if it matters to you or not, but many of the Indians Ive come across in South Florida tend to be Indians from the Caribbean or Guyana. Coral Springs is a good area as well. Weston is nice but expensive and generally anywhere along the coast will be good.

As far as the housing market, its rebounded a little since the recession though it is still not where it was. I would think its a bit more expensive than Austin is and can be very high in areas like Weston or Fort Lauderdale.

South Florida is generally a family friendly place. Because of a large Hispanic and immigrant population, there tend to be a lot of kids around. Disney World is a 3-4 hour drive up the road and theres always the beach nearby. Most places are accommodating towards kids. Areas like Pembroke Pines and (west) Miramar have a large young family populations and they are safe areas with good schools plus a decent sized Indian population. id think that be the way to go depending on how long a commute you or your husband need to make. Hope this was helpful and again check the little map at the top to get a good view of the areas in Broward. There's another one for Dade which is also pretty helpful.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Thank you so much for your insight… that really helps! I was trying to look up the schools on greatschools.org, which county should I be looking at for these areas? Is Broward county the school district as well? Thanks again!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 16,136 times
Hello. Most cities have their own schools. Here is link real estate link by city that includes information for schools: South Florida Home Search by City

Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,824,680 times
I had a few Indian neighbors in Weston in the past.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynawally View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband just got a job offer with a company in Fort Lauderdale. We currently live in Austin, TX and are trying to make a decision. (I have never been there before!) We have a two year old and another one on the way!

1. What are good neighborhoods to consider? Safety is a top priority, along with a good school district or at least a good elementary school? Is there a particular neighborhood where more Indians tend to live?

2. What is the housing market like there right now? What is the median range for homes in the neighborhoods you would recommend?

3. How family friendly is South Florida?

Thank you so much for helping us make our decision!

Hands down Parkland or Weston, in terms of the safest neighborhoods with good schools. I live around the Parkland area and there are a lot of people from South East Asia here. However, I never stopped to ask if they are all Indian. Also if you consider people of Indian descent as Indians such as people from Trinidad, we have a healthy population here is South Florida. There are many Indian events here regularly around South Florida, so I'm sure you will find a lot of culturally relevant things to do.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM

Thank you! Commute wise to Fort Lauderdale which do you think would be better, Parkland or Weston?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,549 times
Weston but probably by about 10 minutes tops. Both are pretty far out west.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,824,680 times
I have been using the newly opened express lanes on I-595. 30 min from Weston to Fort Lauderdale.

Although "Fort Lauderdale" is a pretty vague term because the city is not small. So it would depend on exactly where in Fort Lauderdale you need to go.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM

95 posts, read 214,466 times
kids are 2 year old and on the way..so I wouldn't worry about schools yet..

since you said Fort Lauderdale,I'd assume its Fort Lauderdale downtown

I know a few desis who work in Fort Lauderdale tend to stay in Coconut creek area

For now I guess you would be renting...so be here,scout for the apartment communities in Coconut creek.

I know a couple of ppl who live in aptments in Plantation area..which is a bit west

PM me if you need further details,I will try to chime in with any specific details you might need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area