Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM

75 posts, read 175,426 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to how this started. Its seems like the South Florida Area never used to be like this.

Is it all the people here moving from the new york area where its tought that you have to step on people's feet to get ahead?

Is it because of all the cultural difference and most people dont know that much about each other?

Is it because most people here come from a 3rd world country and they have have a make money now, fast, and anyway i can so i can send back home attitude?

Why is it like that, Im curious, i never been anywhere in the world where its so extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,772,673 times
I touched on this with someone on the Miami page - I think that is just the way of the world period - not just here but in general everywhere. Can you find pockets of places that aren't that way sure but for the most part from Boston to Birmingham you will find this attitude. I think that having more foreign people here does make a difference as well but it isn't it completely - I think as you start to grow up and mature things that didn't bother you as a 20 year old are extremely irratating as a 30 year old and at 40 forget it. I think it is something with age and wisdom that causes us to think this way - I asked my mom when she started to think people were like that and said around 30 when se really grew up and realized what was important in life. Today it takes a little longer with the whole new wave of 30's being the new 20's and so on.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,937,870 times
It can be found in other areas, but again, I think it's the level that Miami has it which is so disturbing. This topic has been touched on many, many times. I think even the Miami lovers have told us that it is all about "me" in Miami.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
It can be found in other areas, but again, I think it's the level that Miami has it which is so disturbing. This topic has been touched on many, many times. I think even the Miami lovers have told us that it is all about "me" in Miami.
No more so than in LA or NY or Boston or Chicago or any city with international activity - it is the "all about me" syndrome. soon no one will be able to hide from it - it will reach all corners of the earth!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Fort Myers was like that and it is a much less-populated than Miami and the transplants are mostly from the Midwest. It was a very me-centric culture with pushy, rude and aggressive people. And no, not everywhere is like that. The South is very friendly with helpful, caring people.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,716,278 times
It's ironic because you think it would be more omnipresent in third world countries where survival is so much tougher. The culture of a place seems to often define it and the older the country and culture, the seemingly more it is based in community. I hope this "me-first" attitude doesn't become America's greatest export.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
It's ironic because you think it would be more omnipresent in third world countries where survival is so much tougher. The culture of a place seems to often define it and the older the country and culture, the seemingly more it is based in community. I hope this "me-first" attitude doesn't become America's greatest export.
LOL - I like this! I told this story before but feel it is worth telling again. In both China and India - people litteraly elbow their way onto the train or line or where ever the hell they are going - this was told to me be friends who are both Indian and Chinese and actually lived there so, I'm taking it as gospel. What is happening is that instead of conforming to the nicer ways of being, people are saying "eff that, if you elbow me, I will push you and knock you down" - then everything spirals out of control and gets worse and worse by the year.

To the other poster - SOME people are nicer in the south but some people are not so nice either people are what they choose to be nice or not so nice no matter where they live. NO, not every single person is nice in the south. On average there are more racists in the south I don't think of that as a particularly nice quality. But then again that is just me.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
LOL - I like this! I told this story before but feel it is worth telling again. In both China and India - people litteraly elbow their way onto the train or line or where ever the hell they are going - this was told to me be friends who are both Indian and Chinese and actually lived there so, I'm taking it as gospel. What is happening is that instead of conforming to the nicer ways of being, people are saying "eff that, if you elbow me, I will push you and knock you down" - then everything spirals out of control and gets worse and worse by the year.

To the other poster - SOME people are nicer in the south but some people are not so nice either people are what they choose to be nice or not so nice no matter where they live. NO, not every single person is nice in the south. On average there are more racists in the south I don't think of that as a particularly nice quality. But then again that is just me.
That's your stereotypical opinion. I saw more racists living in Fort Myers, Florida than I have ever, ever met in Knoxville, TN. In fact, I found more in Massachusetts. There weren't many, but there were a few.

In Fort Myers they would drop the "N" bomb like it was normal and we were suppose to agree with it. I waited on a customer that pulled that one time and I stopped everything and told him, "Look buddy. I will not even wait on you until you clean up the language. New day, new way, and just because I am white, don't assume I am prejudiced." I think I gave him a scare.

My husband is from The Midwest and he says The Midwest if full of racists and he jus doesn't see that here like he did in swFlorida.

You don't see it around here. I think people learned how to get along with one another a long time ago.

No. Of course not every single person is nicer in The South. But generally speaking, the day-to-day events are much more pleasant. It is a pure joy to chat with people while waiting in line, be waved at by strangers and let into traffic by people over and over again, all day long. Most people do not believe it until they actually see it.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's your stereotypical opinion. I saw more racists living in Fort Myers, Florida than I have ever, ever met in Knoxville, TN. In fact, I found more in Massachusetts. There weren't many, but there were a few.

In Fort Myers they would drop the "N" bomb like it was normal and we were suppose to agree with it. I waited on a customer that pulled that one time and I stopped everything and told him, "Look buddy. I will not even wait on you until you clean up the language. New day, new way, and just because I am white, don't assume I am prejudiced." I think I gave him a scare.

My husband is from The Midwest and he says The Midwest if full of racists and he jus doesn't see that here like he did in swFlorida.

You don't see it around here. I think people learned how to get along with one another a long time ago.

No. Of course not every single person is nicer in The South. But generally speaking, the day-to-day events are much more pleasant. It is a pure joy to chat with people while waiting in line, be waved at by strangers and let into traffic by people over and over again, all day long. Most people do not believe it until they actually see it.
And, I think that is your stereotypical opinion - I was speaking more from experience on the racist issues. There is a difference to "me" from being a racist and being prejudiced - I am proud to be prejudiced! I am prejudiced agains all who are knowingly ignorant! I had an experience when I was 12 in Maryland where I was called a "half breed ******" - to this day I'm still not sure what the term means but I can tell you that it scarred me to the point that I probably would remember that ladies face if I saw her today - you know what my revenge is LOL - her white son (who was adorable) fell in love with me, it was a high school thing but he later went on to marry a puertorican/phillipine woman (LOVE IT). She lives in a trailor park and I'm about to buy a home - who had the last laugh!

Its weird I have met some of the nicest people in North Carolina but also some of the worst - I found the same in NY though. I think things are a little more complex in NY - people are faster by nature - different things intrigue them - so, you would be different with those friends - you know what I mean. I think things tend to be a little more simple in the south but still there is a me mentality there too.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Well, I'm sorry about someone being rude to you or calling you a "half-breed." What the heck is that, anyway? You are correct. Weird. I know Cher had a song long before your time. I think it meant native American.

I don't know a thing about North Carolina other than it does have a lot of transplants and that is why I steered clear of it. My area has some of the most wonderful people. Not everyone is nasty, everywhere, I promise you and holding an entire region accountable is unfair.

My dad was born in The Bronx and half my family are New Yorkers. No one is simpler down here. Life is just as complicated and the people are just as intelligent. But people have manners.

Don't get me wrong, so does my New York family. Everyone is polite and I think New Yorkers are very polite. But there seems to be something about south Florida that attracts a lot of people that are self-centered and have problems playing with others. Sometimes I wonder if there are a lot of people that are running because they don't get along with others and end of moving to Florida. That's very unscientific guess, though, so pardon me for pontificating out loud.

I hope things get better for you Chelsa. You are one of the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
And, I think that is your stereotypical opinion - I was speaking more from experience on the racist issues. There is a difference to "me" from being a racist and being prejudiced - I am proud to be prejudiced! I am prejudiced agains all who are knowingly ignorant! I had an experience when I was 12 in Maryland where I was called a "half breed ******" - to this day I'm still not sure what the term means but I can tell you that it scarred me to the point that I probably would remember that ladies face if I saw her today - you know what my revenge is LOL - her white son (who was adorable) fell in love with me, it was a high school thing but he later went on to marry a puertorican/phillipine woman (LOVE IT). She lives in a trailor park and I'm about to buy a home - who had the last laugh!

Its weird I have met some of the nicest people in North Carolina but also some of the worst - I found the same in NY though. I think things are a little more complex in NY - people are faster by nature - different things intrigue them - so, you would be different with those friends - you know what I mean. I think things tend to be a little more simple in the south but still there is a me mentality there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area