Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM

42 posts, read 48,394 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in Springfield MO. About to graduate College with a degree in Culinary Arts. Missouri is getting boring to me and I am thinking southern Florida. I know it gets humid and about the bugs. My question is what is everyone's thoughts? Doing the move is a big step in my life. I want to live in a nice coastal town that is somewhat affordable and has plenty of CHEF jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
That probably would be NYC. Coastal. Lots of restaurants.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 PM

42 posts, read 48,394 times
I hate the cold though. Warm weather is needed lol

Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM

191 posts, read 317,801 times
There are many factors to consider besides the weather.

Yes - it is warm here, but that is part of the reason why we are overpopulated and underpaid.

There are many great restaurants, but getting a job at one that will pay you enough to live decently on is going to be tough.

Also I think you will find that most of the higher end places down here have a very distinct local "flavor". There is a fusion down here of styles and tastes that takes a lot from caribbean and latin culture. It's not easy to step into a kitchen at one of those places without having lived the life - so to say.

Keep in mind also that south Florida is actually a pretty expensive place to live - if you don't want to live in what we would call a "sketchy" area.

I realize you have a culinary degree, but down here I think you will find it isn't a great asset. There's a glut of them down here. I've got friends with degrees from Johnson & Wales and Le Cordon Bleu that are having to fight for line cook jobs that pay crap. They have to compete with guys without any degree at all - but are willing to work for a couple of dollars an hour less.

In your situation, I would bite the bullet on the cold and just look for the best opportunity no matter where it was. Once you have developed some experience and a reputation, go back and reevaluate your options for location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area