U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 182,011 times

Advertisements

Hello

Can someone tell me about Miramar FL??? I possibly want to live there. Me and my family are African-American, Christian and working class. Thanks Tell me about jobs and other opportunities for African Americans. How the job market down ther for them.????

thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 AM

41 posts, read 252,180 times
I currently live in Tamarac but when I first moved to Florida in Aug 2003 I lived in Miramar until Sep 2007 , so thats 4 years I lived there.

Its simple, the West side of Miramar is the very nice side where the upper class white collar high income people live and the East side is where the lower income blue collar class live.

Its very congested, it seems to get more and more crowded every year because they keep tearing down land and build strip malls and banks and storage centers on the land adding more and more traffic.

Its pretty close to Miami, I think like 15-20 mins.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 AM

11,642 posts, read 22,734,661 times
Mirimar might be a nice place for you to live. There is a wide diversity within the population and there is a large black population there. I don't think of Mirimar as being a dangerous place although I haven't spent alot of time there. I think it's mostly working/middle class.

We played Mirimar in a football scrimmage and the field was nice and the parents were nice. The team was entirely black, while our team is mixed white, hispanic and black. They seemed to have alot of parental support for their football team.

Jobs in Mirimar are probably similar to the rest of Broward. There is work here, but it doesn't pay all that well compared to housing prices.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 AM

41 posts, read 252,180 times
I just read another post of yours saying that you only hoped to spend $700-800 on a rental, unless its income restricted thats extremely hard to find in the Miramar area and also forget about moving to the west side of miramar because the rent there is nearly double that.

South Florida is not the place anyone wants to be if you make a low income because those areas are really rough with alot of criminal activity. Try moving more north in florida.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 PM

2,337 posts, read 7,514,685 times
Miramar has a large minority population (Black/West Indian, Asians and Hispanic) but it's not cheap. Even East Miramar....which is a bit on the rough side, you'll be hard pressed to find a two-bedroom apartment for less than $900/month. West Miramar is considerably more expensive than that.

My dad works for the City of Miramar and lives there. He really likes it.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM

24 posts, read 182,011 times
hello mike wolf,miss shona,and momma bear. Thank you for all of your advice. As for now our family is still considering to move in the future in s. fla but we will stick to going on vacations for now until we get in a better financial position to move down there. There is a lot going on with my mother at this time (she is ill right now) and I need to stay here in Ohio just a little while longer. I am not going to give up on our dream to relocate to s. fla. I am still going to correspond from time to time just to talk and ask other questions about living in s.fla. Miramar may be my best bet as a possible place for us to live besides there is a church there we may be attending in the future. Thanks again and reply soon. Happy hollidays!

hello again

can anyone tell me where is some good hair braiding salons in S. FLA???? Thanks
also some good Chinese, Italian, and Seafood and Soul food restaurants down there??? I am planning to come down there for a week in May 2008 on vacation. Thanks.

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-20-2007 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 04:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,957,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttodwellinsfla08 View Post
hello again

also some good Chinese, Italian, and Seafood and Soul food restaurants down there??? I am planning to come down there for a week in May 2008 on vacation. Thanks.
You might want to use this thread for general questions:

The Miami/South Florida Lounge

Old 12-19-2007, 09:11 PM

2,337 posts, read 7,514,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttodwellinsfla08 View Post
hello again

If you go to the Carol City flea market (sorry don't remember the exact address...but it's right off a major road), you can get your hair braided. The prices are pretty good; but there are a lot of stylists and someone who's good may not be there in a few weeks. So it's kinda hit or miss. But again, the prices are good .

Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 44,317 times
Exclamation Avoid West Miramar!

If you are black, you need to avoid West Miramar. It was a good neighborhood for middle-class blacks from around 1999 through 2006, but now there is a huge amount of tension that has built-up between Cubans and blacks in the area. The Cubans seem to be a majority in the area. I prefer Atlanta, GA, and will be moving there as soon as I sell my home in West Miramar.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,615,945 times
Miramar is a cess-pool for crime. There have been so many armed robberies on businesses and home invasions in the past 2 years. Crime is on the rise...I can tell you that for certain. Even West Miramar is no longer what it used to be and there are home invasions that have occured in the Monarch Lakes area. My sister worked in Miramar...west of I-75 and had her car broken into. They always rob banks in Miramar and they love to rob Subways (about 4 in the past year). And yes..this all occurs west of I-75 as well. FAR FAR west Miramar is better but there have been incidents in the past as well. If I had a gun to my head and someone forced me to live in Miramar, I would pick west of 184 ave in the Sunset Lakes area....but the homes are super expensive except for some isolated town homes.

East Miramar is North Carol City. The thugs and thieves know they can sneek into Miramar from the South, do their thing and quickly flee back South across county line...messing up the entire police response. They know this very well and take advantage of it. If you live off Flamingo in the communities of Viscaya and Silver Falls.....you know what I am talking about. I lived in Miramar at one point...so I know. East Miramar from Palm Avenue east is majority Black....mostly Jamaican. If you are looking for people of your ethnicity, you will have no problems fitting in.

I wish you good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area