Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:20 AM

10 posts, read 22,381 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Just moved to Parkland but am so disappointed in the shopping choices. With the exception of a few fairly decent strip malls, the shopping areasin Coral Springs are old and dilapidated. It makes me feel sad to thinkthat at one time this area was new, attractive andthriving. What happened to this town? There seems to be lots of highend housing developments where people have sufficientincome. I'm also surprised to see only one Whole Foods store in thearea on University which is not worth visiting in my opinion. The produceis not up to par and is expensive. The store is just plain old. And, as weall know, there is no Trader Joe's. Fortunately, Trader Joe's isopening in Miami on Oct 18th; however, it's a long drive down there. InArizona, California, New Mexico... there is a natural foodgrocery store called Sprouts. It’s a mixture of a Trader Joes and Tunie’s wrapped up in one.Fabulous!! At Fresh Market, had to pay $2.00 for a turnip.. (lol) Regarding generalshopping, I was even surprised to discover that the Boca Towne Center is veryaverage looking and needs a face lift. In fact, the city of BocaRaton looks horrible. Coming from the DC area, I've had a shopping 'cultureshock'. Does anyone else concur?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:06 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,647,120 times
Well....Parkland area has the best Wal-Mart I've ever been in Broward county so far. I disagree with you regarding to Town Center Mall in Boca. That mall in my humble opinion is one of the best malls in south Florida along with Galleria Mall ( Fort Lauderdale) , Bal Harbour Mall ( Bal Harbour ), PGL Mall ( Palm Beach Gardens). I rather shopping at Town center in Boca over Aventura Mall ( horrible parking) or Dadeland Mall ( horrible parking and traffic, plus rude people) Come and visit galleria Mall , I am sure you will love it. There is always covered parking available, traffic is never a problem and people are super nice.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Thanks for your input! I guess having an incredibly beautiful mall like Tysons Corner in McLean, Virginia,, along with several very new Whole Foods stores and Trader Joe's in Northern Virginia spoiled me. I have visited Galleria Mall and it's nice, but I just don't like to drive to the beach area very often because the traffic is so congested. Of course I say to myself... do I want Florida's sunny weather, swaying palm trees and ocean breezes or do I want a mall?! I'll choose the palm trees and ocean breezes in Florida any day!! Take care...

Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
hunni, i have to agree with ya. The shopping in South FL is kind of sub-par for a majo metro area.

There are no Trader Joe's
The Whole Foods in Coral Springs is indeed awful- it's so shabby
There's no vegan/organic stores to shop at really
They just got an IKEA in broward county like 2 years ago and it was BIG NEWS lol. Like, the bees knees!!! a big "to do"... I'm like "Hasn't Ikea been everywhere like forever now?"...well, not in south FL they haven't.

Galleria Mall in my opinion sucks. I'm not trying to be neg. nancy or debbie downer, but's it doesn't even have an H&M store...or a "zumies" or a lot of other stores common across this great nation of ours.

As far as malls go-- Aventura and Boca Town Center are the best. Also, Palm Beach Gardens mall is acceptable. Now, Sawgrass Mills mall is huge, but im telling u....it's not worth it. It seems very dated. U thought boca town center need a facelife? gurrrrrl, u aint seen nothin yet. Sawgrass Mills has like these shiney, polished wood floors and exposed ceilings with this dimly lit food court and just kind of crap lighting and all that.

I know DC area has some fab shopping and NoVa too, i've been. Things are newer and I feel like newer stores like stores that haven't even penetrated the south FL market are already happeneing in DC, California even Texas....south FL was like last in the country to get "Chipotle"... so annoying.

But it could be worse. we could be stuck in cleveland or detroit or something. or some economically depressed area that doesn't even have Applebees or Chilis like Newark, NJ

Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Thanks... sounds like we are on the same 'shopping' page...

You're right... it can always be worse!!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
Does the food court in that amazing Tysons Corner mall have Pollo Tropical?

thought so

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM

229 posts, read 534,188 times
The shopping in South Florida sucks because there aren't enough overpriced whole foods and organic food stores for the pretentious yuppie types? How does Boca Raton look "horrible"? It's not like Tysons Corner looks better.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
This is the first time I hear "Boca" and "horrible" in the same sentence.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
The shopping in South Florida sucks because there aren't enough overpriced whole foods and organic food stores for the pretentious yuppie types? How does Boca Raton look "horrible"? It's not like Tysons Corner looks better.

Boca is really not all that special. Please stop putting boca on this pedestal... It's really a pretty average place. They have a nice mall and a decent whole foods. That's pretty much it... Mizner park looks so tacky and kinda dated at this point. 1997 called...they want their faux-mediterranean fake stucco architecture back.

I feel like south FL doesn't have the variety of shopping in general that others have. It's not that people are "yuppies" because they want to eat local organic food lol. You sound like some old fuddy duddy. Eating organic is healthy and good for you. Sorry I dont want to eat food full of nitrates and pesticides like they put in at Publix.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 PM

229 posts, read 534,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Boca is really not all that special. Please stop putting boca on this pedestal... It's really a pretty average place. They have a nice mall and a decent whole foods. That's pretty much it... Mizner park looks so tacky and kinda dated at this point. 1997 called...they want their faux-mediterranean fake stucco architecture back.

I feel like south FL doesn't have the variety of shopping in general that others have. It's not that people are "yuppies" because they want to eat local organic food lol. You sound like some old fuddy duddy. Eating organic is healthy and good for you. Sorry I dont want to eat food full of nitrates and pesticides like they put in at Publix.
And bland Fairfax County, VA is so much better?

"Organic foods are almost invariably more expensive than their conventionally produced counterparts but they aren't necessarily healthier or more nutritious, new research suggests."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area