Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,566 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Fort Lauderdale, I am going crazy with the school researches. We have a 7 years old child, a very happy child.

I am concern about the schools, the reviews from many A rated schools are not all nice.
We are looking for schools either Weston or Parkland.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 06:18 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,801,569 times
Parkland or Weston schools Are nice.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 PM

231 posts, read 586,364 times
Parkland, Weston or Boca Raton. Ive done enough searches for 10 people.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM

438 posts, read 651,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykirk View Post
We are moving to Fort Lauderdale, I am going crazy with the school researches. We have a 7 years old child, a very happy child.

I am concern about the schools, the reviews from many A rated schools are not all nice.
We are looking for schools either Weston or Parkland.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
What have you heard about Parkland and Weston schools that isn't nice? Those cities have some of the best schools in Broward county.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 AM

191 posts, read 316,362 times
Certainly don't judge schools by their "school grades".

The school grades are basically just an indicator if the students are progressing. It doesn't always speak to the quality of the school. You can have a school that only has 50 percent of their students passing the FCAT (or its replacement this year), and the school can still earn an "A" if those kids are showing improvement. Conversely, if you have a school that had 95 percent of their kids passing, and it slips to 90 percent - there is a chance of that school no longer being considered an "A" school. Which one do you think would be the "better" school though?

There are a bunch of other factors that go into the calculations as well, but I just wanted to give you an idea of why the school grade may not be the best way to evaluate a school.

Look at Greatschools.net and use the comparison features to get an idea of which schools fit with what you are looking for.

Boca is not my area of expertise, but generally the city is nice - and the schools will reflect the neighborhood. In Broward, I don't know the schools that feed Douglas high (Parkland) - but since it is a pretty good school, I would have to expect most of the feeder schools are good as well.

I always suggest that people with kids stay in the feeder patterns for Cypress Bay, Western, Cooper City, and West Broward. Those are all pretty good schools and the neighborhoods are unlikely to decline any time in the near future.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:11 PM

423 posts, read 1,639,580 times
Add Cooper City and western part of Davie to your list. If your budget allows, I would strongly suggest Southwest Ranches as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area