Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Pembroke Lakes killed Fashion Center (Boarded up now) and they have a large busy strip mall that replaced Hollywood Mall. They are trying to attract a "national retailer" on Young's Circle but it doesn't seem like they are...over the past three years they started heavily policing that area 24-7 to make it safe, started renovating the park/etc and they did a nice job, but now they need more tenants. It's safe to say that with the known exceptions like Emerald Lakes, the rest of the city is as run down as ever. The motels along U.S.1 have started becoming a hot spot for homicide, the city broke a homicide record last year and most of the murders were in the crappy motels.
Thanks, Compelled to reply! sigh...things sure have changed in Hollywood since the 1970's...sigh. Pembroke Lakes was built after I left South FL so I haven't seen it. Hollywood was a pretty decent place back then. I went to McNicol Jr. High and it seemed like the lower class folks lived South of Pembroke Road in Hallandale. As I left Hollywood to join the military, it seemed like that imaginary line was gradually erased.

My dad married a woman who, with her first husband, built a nice house back in the 1950's next to Orange Brook Golf Course. I've been back since she sold the house and moved to Emerald Hills and it seems like that neighborhood is even "changing"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Yeah, the communities out west killed Hollywood. A few pockets held on but in general it went way down, especially in the 90s. It's starting to get better but it's still run down. There is something in the air there though that I can't explain (at least in comparison to the blando communities like Pembroke Pines, etc)...the area has potential. It's still got a lot better from the 90s, especially downtown and the beach, although they need to do something with the Ramada...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-16-2008 at 07:24 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 PM

22 posts, read 72,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar509 View Post
My husband and I live in Hollywood Fl and hate it. Federal Hwy is full of homeless people, hookers, drunks and drug addicts. It is shabby and run down. We pay $850.00 a month for a small run down apartments which the jalousey windows (tilted panes) suck all the a/c out of. We cant wait to move away. Soaring rental and home prices, an influx of too many people coming in, bad traffic, rude people and also high auto insurance make it tough to eke out a living here.
tcar509

totally agree!!!! every time i stop to get gas i have 1 or 2 people asking me if i can spare some change, or some man cleaning off my car windows in hopes i'll give him money.. if they're not homeless, they think they're God.. either poor or rich here in Hollywood, and makes it hard for working people like myself and my husband to find a place to fit in. moving to central florida soon though...not quick enough!!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm still wondering what kind of idiot pays 850 a month for a run down apartment with jalousey windows off of Dixie Hwy. Um, hello, you can rent a better apartment for 50 dollars less on the GOOD side of US1? My friend does it. I have another friend that lives on the crappy side of US1 (and rents for much less). I go to see them all the time and never had any homeless people beg me for change or wash my windshield. His neighborhood is what I would call seedy although he swears he never has a problem. I have seen plenty of homeless but they definitely left me alone. The only time I ever had my windows washed by homeless was (oddly enough) in Boca Raton.

Also, how do rude people make it tough to eek out a living? Also if you are the type of person who thinks an ass kissing "please" and "thank you" is friendly (which is typical on CD), or you like people waving at you in your cars and then making fun of your lawn, then yes, the people are rude here.

To mrspowers, if you are moving to central FL, please don't move to Orlando unless you never plan to aspire to make anything above minimum wage and really want to live in a high crime area full of people you can't relate to. It's not any less expensive there, but whether you can grasp it or not the quality of life is three steps down. Anyone who complains about the traffic here has never seen traffic before until they move to Orlando. Believe me I lived there and it was a craphole no matter how much money you make. And also, if you think there is too much of an influx of people here, don't move to Orlando thinking you beat the crowd. If you want to beat the crowd, move to Kentucky, because the malcontent sheeple are already ruining North Carolina and supposedly Tennessee.

At least here it's nice if you make over 50k, unlike Orlando. Tampa or the smaller towns are cheaper and better.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-12-2008 at 11:31 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,697 times
Hollywood home for the homeless, run don't walk away...

Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 AM

482 posts, read 944,739 times
If you can afford to live near the circle, you're straight other than that, I wouldn't really recommend it.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 AM

20 posts, read 117,159 times
what about the highrises on south ocean drive in hollywood is that a safe area anyone know anything about the tides?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 PM

66 posts, read 375,566 times
if you want 2 live in a "nice" area of hollywood, move by Hollywood Hills highschool, NOT South Broward highschool. or Attikus middleschool..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
It is the "hood" area of hollywood. I drove through there this past Friday, not to bad. Seems like a lot of lower income, working class families.
If this was your impression of the area, you were probably passing through Miramar.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM

159 posts, read 558,742 times
I guess I've lived in Hollywood too long because I don't see it like everyone else. I like it just fine. I don't think it has any more problems than parts of Lauderdale or Miami.

Whatever, I'm fine here in Hollywood.

"If you don't like it get the f**k out"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area