Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:51 PM

24 posts, read 188,553 times

Advertisements

I would like to know about the Hollywood FL area??? Can anyone help me??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 06:53 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,480 times
Well what exactly do you want to know? Are you moving here (which is what I guess by your s/n)? Or are you visiting? What?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM

24 posts, read 188,553 times
Well to be more clear. I have visited there earlier this year with my family. we loved it and we would like to live there. Tell me about the rental and other housing offers there.??? Thank you!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM

398 posts, read 1,409,333 times
I like that area. Nice buildings, close to Ft. Lauderdale, still a little bit expensive to live but prices are going down; the only bad thing I see, is still too close to the border.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Hollywood is nice...east of U.S.1. It has a newly restored "broadwalk" area with a bike path and shops along the coast (no road!). Once you go west, it's more inconsistent, kind of "rough". Not "ghetto" but "rough". Between Dixie Hwy and 95, it's the pits. West of 95 and north of Hollywood Blvd there are some working to upper-middle class neighborhoods, then you go further west out closer to S.R.7 and it's the pits again until Pembroke Pines. South of Pembroke Road, it's terrible, worst neighborhoods in the county (including the infamous Carver Ranches). The downtown area is rejuvenating, and I would recommend that area (east of U.S.1 Hollywood in general) to a 25 year old young professional or a well-off family looking to send their children to private schools. It's less expensive than other areas; I have seen people make it in a shabby but clean 1 bedroom in the better parts of Hollywood for as low as 750 a month. Basically

Pros
*Convenient, centralized location
*Revitalization in the downtown area
*Close to the beach/coastal

Cons
*I see a lot of "rude people" in the stores and stuff in some parts of Hollywood. It's a rough "northern" feel in many areas.
*Moderately high crime, it's come down, but still not the safest area
*Generally inconsistent/run down appearance.

All and all, it's not "that bad", but it's no place for a family (read your past posts). It's kind of the blue collar, working class area you live in if you get priced out of other areas. Some of the areas east of U.S.1 and the Emerald Hills area is really nice though, but still not really for a family.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 AM

90 posts, read 374,779 times
My husband and I live in Hollywood Fl and hate it. Federal Hwy is full of homeless people, hookers, drunks and drug addicts. It is shabby and run down. We pay $850.00 a month for a small run down apartments which the jalousey windows (tilted panes) suck all the a/c out of. We cant wait to move away. Soaring rental and home prices, an influx of too many people coming in, bad traffic, rude people and also high auto insurance make it tough to eke out a living here.
tcar509

Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 43,002 times
Just a suggestion...unless you want to live by the beach, don't move to hollywood. Cooper City, Fl was voted one of the most pleasant places to live in the broward county area. Great schools, low tolerance for nonsense and such. Just north of Hollywood but worlds apart when a family is involved!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Hollywood varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. There are some very nice areas in Hollywood and some pretty gritty ones. Like someone else said Hollywood is not horrible, but there are some pretty tough looking neighborhoods there. You really need to check out the specific neighborhoods.

Schools reflect the economic diversity of the area. There are some rough kids in some of the schools there.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Hollywood is one of the older areas in Fort Lauderdale and its pretty darn run down. Only areas east of US1 that is not older/run down is some new area they just built up south of a state park. I can't think of the name of it. I was just down there a month ago, it is pretty pathetic. That "renovated" boardwalk is pretty bad too. It has a mall that looks like it should be in Dawn of the Dead, but the wood planks on the board walk look nice :S

Old 02-10-2008, 06:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
but the wood planks on the board walk look nice :S
Are you sure you have been there? There are definitely no wood planks. It's solid concrete, thus the reason it's called the "Broadwalk", although I could do without the overweight half naked French Canadian tourists, manboobs flapping around. Second that "mall" though LOL! I haven't been in there in centuries, I thought they boarded it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area