Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:37 PM

440 posts, read 517,407 times

Advertisements

Since people are bitten every year by sharks in Florida waters, then I'd say it's safe to say there is no way to prevent being bitten by a shark in Florida unless you stay out of the water since all those statistics that get thrown up at us in the media about how it's more likely .....blah blah blah, than to be bitten by a shark, always involves doing foolish things we've already been advised by the media not to do such as being outside during a lightning storm.
Since the media doesn't advise people to not go swimming in Florida waters because of the chance of being bitten by a shark, then it would seem the media favors the sharks in Florida more than it does the safety of residents and tourists in Florida who venture into our ocean waters.
Not being on a golf course during a thunderstorm prevents you from being hit by lightning on a golf course but since there is no known way that's been reported to keep a shark from biting you if you are in the ocean in Florida, unless you are swimming at a beach where there is a net across the water like they have in Australia to prevent sharks from entering the bathing area, which I don't think any beaches in Florida have, only giving up swimming in the ocean can prevent sharks from biting you in Florida.
You can safely engage in many of the activities that the media states are more risky than being bitten by a shark as long as you take precautions doing those activities, precautions that are often offered by the media to those who participate in those activities, while the media won't report that anyone stepping into the ocean past a certain depth of water is at risk of being bitten by a shark anytime someone goes into the ocean, which is a fact. Nobody can predict as to when sharks won't be feeding since it seems that they feed almost all the time, plus they don't always attack just to feed as some sharks have been known to bite people and inflict severe injuries after which the shark just swims away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 PM

443 posts, read 895,955 times
Seriously?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 AM

679 posts, read 878,007 times
I lived on the beach in Pompano for about 10 years before moving to Weston. I would go for a walk on the beach almost every day, usually around 5 pm when the sun was getting lower in the sky. Then I'd jump in the water to cool off, and head back to my condo. Until one day, bobbing in about 10 feet of water, not too far from the shoreline, I spied a long, cylindrical, dark gray shape moving parallel to the shore, about 20 feet from me. Just as it was almost past, it turned toward me. I think I ran on top of the water all the way to the sand, screaming at the top of my lungs. Yes, I was in the water at the wrong time. Yes, I had jewelry on. No, I don't go in the water anymore.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:33 AM

191 posts, read 317,746 times
This is why we locals sit further up on the beach.

We leave the surfline to the unaware tourists.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-01-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 13,690 times
Well, after a long absence, I've been looking at moving back down south but this changes everything. Sharks with laser beams??? Be careful down there. Arizona here I come.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,987 times
Wow, we lived in Fl for almost 30 yrs '78-07 had a boat, went swimming off the beach, skied on Inter-coastal, floated on rafts with jewelry, so many times, the thought "sometimes" crossed my mind, but seems these days you hear so much about sharks attacks, was I just naive, stupid or just lucky ? LOL

Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM

366 posts, read 517,200 times
more chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the beach then in a shark attack. i grew up in australia and survived. florida has nothing to worry about

Old 08-29-2014, 04:47 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,769 times
17 Shark attacks in Florida in 2014 so far , compare that to the massive number of people that swim in Ocean and Gulf of Mexico I would say the odds are pretty small.. I have seen a few sharks in the water while swimming on the Treasure Coast , I will ONLY swim in guarded area

Old 08-29-2014, 05:21 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
17 Shark attacks in Florida in 2014 so far , compare that to the massive number of people that swim in Ocean and Gulf of Mexico I would say the odds are pretty small.. I have seen a few sharks in the water while swimming on the Treasure Coast , I will ONLY swim in guarded area

As the saying goes: "It doesn't matter if your chances are 1 in a million if you end up being that 1 in a million".

Old 08-29-2014, 05:31 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Wow, we lived in Fl for almost 30 yrs '78-07 had a boat, went swimming off the beach, skied on Inter-coastal, floated on rafts with jewelry, so many times, the thought "sometimes" crossed my mind, but seems these days you hear so much about sharks attacks, was I just naive, stupid or just lucky ? LOL

Most people were totally naïve about shark attacks until the movie Jaws hit the screen, that brought a whole lot of awareness. "Shark Week" was aired for a entire week on the Discovery network 2 weeks ago & it was a total wake up call regarding the amount of fatal shark attacks & those who survived were left without limbs, there are numerous attacks in the USA & especially in FL. Yet most people can't resist the lure of the ocean so if ya gonna go into shark territory then don't go beyond 2' of water just to play it safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area