Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,914 times

Advertisements

Hi all, long story short. My in-laws live in Pembroke Pines, great area but just seems a bit too congested. We are coming from NYC so we actually are trying to get away from that.

Weston seems to expensive for a Florida salary, even though my NYC salary 2x more than suffice, Plantation doesn't seem to have great schools. Sort of leaves Davie, but I understand its a trailer town? What about the "West" Davie part?

Would a black couple and child be somewhat ok out there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 AM

97 posts, read 136,736 times
Plantation schools are NOT great??? Where did you hear that? Check the schools that are in the area of aviethe Trellises.

If you have the money to buy in Cooper City, they have better schools than Weston and Plantation. Both cities have better than Davie.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 AM

191 posts, read 317,558 times
Well, I wouldn't say that the schools in Cooper City are better than Weston, but they are still good.

If Weston is out of your price range, you may be able to find something in Cooper City. Really, anything north of Sheridan and West of University will probably be fine for you. There are pockets of older homes and a few trailer parks around, but really the majority of the area is nice and quiet.

As I usually say, look for neighborhoods that are within the boundaries of Cypress Bay, Western, or Cooper City High Schools.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,914 times
About the schools in Plantation, maybe too much emphasis on the FCAT ratings, but don't know what else to go on. The charter schools look good but that's a complete lottery isn't it?

The west part of Davie is in my price range and zoned to Western High which is great, just not sure of the "tolerance" level over there for minorities.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 AM

361 posts, read 837,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josen2013 View Post
About the schools in Plantation, maybe too much emphasis on the FCAT ratings, but don't know what else to go on. The charter schools look good but that's a complete lottery isn't it?

The west part of Davie is in my price range and zoned to Western High which is great, just not sure of the "tolerance" level over there for minorities.
I thought the whole South Florida region was very tolerant, it's basically like the NE.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:25 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I think you will like west Davie a lot. There are more SFHs than the east side of Davie. Because of the colleges and universities in the east side (generally just east of Nob Hill) you find a lot of townhomes, apartments and condos. Davie is a far more sophisticated town than what you see at first glance. The downtown is not afraid to show its cowboy roots, and many of the buildings typify that western saloon-type style; Davie also is home to Broward's rodeo arena.

But as you go further west, approaching University, you'll find Broward College, Nova Southeastern University, and off site, small branches of University of Florida and FSU. Davie, IMHO, truly is the higher ed capital of Broward. Along University are many nice restaurants, and you'll find your Targets, Publix and other big stores.

Good luck in your search. There are many nice developments in western Davie and I think you'll be able to find something you like.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:32 PM

389 posts, read 662,130 times
Checked with a friend of mine who lives in western Davie when I saw your question, and his development, in the words of his email, "has a good mix of people from different backgrounds and everyone gets along." So it doesn't seem like there'd be a problem.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
South Florida is very diverse and tolerant compared to some metro areas in the country you will find all types of people probably a lot more than your average suburb in middle America. Davie is nice area to stay and live and very family friendly.

P.S. Welcome to Florida

Old 10-03-2014, 06:59 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
I recently lived in west Davie in a community and we had quite a few black neighbors on my block, so it is no longer unusual in Davie, which unfortunately and disgustingly many years ago used to be home of the KKK. Also my wife is dark skinned Asian and we have had black friends over and we never felt any animosity from the neighbors. Heck my next door neighbors were black and everyone in the neighborhood that I ever spoke to and brought them up liked them very much including us and they were never brought up because of their race.

Nowadays IMHO it is all about how a person upkeep's their home and how courteous they are to their neighbors and no longer about race.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM

683 posts, read 852,748 times
Rick Ross lived in Davie. You'll be fine. Just stay away from the trailer park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area