Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,464 times

Advertisements

We are from Atlanta, GA and are going to be moving to South Florida for a new job. My husband and I are in our late twenties and we have an 8 month old. We want to maintain an active lifestyle in a family friendly (but not stuffy) area. Safety and good schools are most important. Areas with nice parks, walking trails, etc are a plus. The problem is that I keep hearing about nice areas (ie Weston) but they seem to be extremely expensive, so any budget friendly areas about 20 minutes or so from Fort Lauderdale would be fine. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,781,281 times
Parkland, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Davie are all great family neighborhoods

Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM

3,204 posts, read 3,146,092 times
The OP did not state how much they wanted to spend on a house -- "budget friendly" isn't specific enough -- what is your budget? I hate to assume, but if you are ruling out Weston, then I would guess that $350k/$400k is not within your budget and you're looking for something less?

If that's the case, then although Parkland is nice, it is just as expensive, if not more so, than Weston.

Some sections of Coral Springs are nicer than others, although some sections can be just as expensive as Parkland (and other sections are not very nice too). If your range is $300k or so, then look in the eastern edge of Coral Springs -- the Shadowwood section comes to mind -- older homes than Parkland and Weston, generally, but a nice, well kept area.

Coconut Creek gets high marks for elementary schools -- middle and high school, not so much. A very nice section of Coconut Creek is near the Promenade, near Lyons and 441. The Township is an area of townhouses and condos, which is very nice and affordable. I would look there if you want a place to rent to get your bearings for a year.

Davie is nice -- the further west you go, the nicer it is (and also might not be as "budget friendly" for you).

Another overlooked gem is Cooper City -- Rock Creek is older, and might be more affordable. Embassy Lakes is newer and very nice, and depending on the house, you might find something within your budget.

Good luck to you. I have a friend who lives in Atlanta and from talking to her, the homes, insurance and taxes are definitely less for her than what I pay here (I live in Weston).

Old 10-26-2014, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,855 times
I live in Tamarac and we like it. It is near Coral Springs which is also nice. The homes in Tamarac are older but the people are nice. We grade schools here. One elementary near me is an A (free charter school) and one is a B (Tamarac Elementary).

When we go to community events, we meet a lot of nice people with families. The Tamarac sports complex has a wonderful new play area as well as other nice parks. We have Caporella Aquatic Center which has a great water area for children. I just retired from doing family child care so I specifically notice all things children.

I really like it here. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area