Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:53 PM

167 posts, read 246,575 times

Advertisements

^ exactly, there are amazing areas in metro Miami. Yes, Ft. Lauderdale stinks for the most part, but a lot of parts in metro Miami don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:53 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
I moved from the Tundra-boring-town of Richmond, VA to Weston, FL and love it.

Don't pay attention to all those freezing their *****e$ up north. Come to South Florida and see it for yourself and then draw your own conclusions.

Weston, FL is always on top of the list of safest cities in the U.S. - I don't see Raleigh anywhere by the way

Here is a link:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Compare this:

To this:

Even the South Florida metro area is ranked better than Raleigh:

Full List: America's Safest Cities - Forbes

Now, take a look at this link:
20 Safest Cities in Florida: Safest Places to Live in FL | Safe Choice Security News

Come down to Weston and I'll show you what I'm talking about and what those hybernators don't want you to see cuz they don't want to feel alone in their boring towns, plus they need you up there to pay taxes for them.

^^^ realtor.

plus, Raleigh isnt a place known for bad weather in the winter. it has 4 mild seasons. come on man. stop being a realtor.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2014 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 11:50 PM

610 posts, read 746,295 times
I'd take the Raleigh area over Weston any day of the week.

Just today, I actually put my foot on the gas right away when the light turned green at an intersection and lived to tell the tale!

And instead of being 900 degrees with 9000% humidity, it's cool and delightful.

Florida has its good points (like Disney!) and part of me misses the ocean.

But Raleigh is just delightful.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
First of all, if you're so smart stop referring to metro Miami as South Florida. South Florida is not metro Miami, South Florida is metro Miami, the Keys and a few counties north of Palm Beach.

Second of all, just because Ft. Lauderdale is crappie doesn't mean all of metro Miami is. Brickell is amazing. Pretty much all of Downtown and surrounding areas are amazing, Downtown, Brickell, Midtown, etc. Coral Gables is nice. Miami Beach is nice. Sunny Isles is nice. Aventura is nice. Pinecrest, Boca, Parkland, Coconut Creek and so much more.

Also, there's a lot of amazing people who live here, as well as not amazing people, just like any other major metro area and pretty much everywhere else in the country. Try again, that was not even a good try.

Don't waste your time with a hyperbolic troll. The ignorance amazes me here.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:30 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
OP, You have a beach 2 hours away and mountains 3-4 hours in the opposite direction. You would be taking a huge downgrade in QOL moving to Florida. Raleigh's winter is pretty mild to want to escape to a warmer climate. I was born and raised in Raleigh and lived several years in Florida, so I speak from experience.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
I'd take the Raleigh area over Weston any day of the week.

Just today, I actually put my foot on the gas right away when the light turned green at an intersection and lived to tell the tale!

And instead of being 900 degrees with 9000% humidity, it's cool and delightful.

Florida has its good points (like Disney!) and part of me misses the ocean.

But Raleigh is just delightful.

I would too!

Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Don't waste your time with a hyperbolic troll. The ignorance amazes me here.

Seems as if most ppl agree with me.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Seems as if most ppl agree with me.
Wow, with over a 1-million plus here in Venice of America, what a statistical inference, n>30, not impressed

Old 11-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralanprod View Post
South Florida is ... different. I don't know how else to put it really.

Some people love it, some hate it. Like any big metropolitan area, you have your good parts of town and bad. Some areas have high crime, some don't. Some schools are great, some aren't. It's really dependent on how much you are willing to spend living in a particular community - and what your individual tolerances are for different things.

The cost of living here is really out of whack for what the salaries are. Housing costs are pretty high, and insurance of any type is downright criminally priced. My sister in law in Knoxville has a 3000+ sq ft home in a beautiful neighborhood and pays less in mortgage than we do for an 1800 sq ft townhouse.

Schools are obviously going to be a concern, and to find good ones you are really going to have to pay a premium for housing.

With all that said, some people love it down here. It's warm, there are lots of things to do, there are plenty of beaches, etc. You would have to decide if that is what you are looking for.

If it was me, I would probably look a little further up the coast towards central Florida. You can get the ocean with less cost and craziness.
This is the best post I have read so far the others show the lack of education here in South Florida or the hyperbola of drama. I like Miami the best of all but would not want to live here but just find it an exciting place to visit. Too expensive for me. I am sure Raleigh is a fine place too, just come to Miami/Fort Lauderdale/South Florida and visit it as a tourist, great place.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
This is the best post I have read so far the others show the lack of education here in South Florida or the hyperbola of drama. I like Miami the best of all but would not want to live here but just find it an exciting place to visit. Too expensive for me. I am sure Raleigh is a fine place too, just come to Miami/Fort Lauderdale/South Florida and visit it as a tourist, great place.
The area is a great place to visit as a tourist. It's not such a great place to live, especially if you're raising a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area