Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:18 PM

18 posts, read 19,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
That's the great thing about living in America. You get to vote on who makes the rules. If you don't like the new rules, next election get other people that feel like you and vote them out.

Obviously the majority of the people that voted, like this rule.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 04:34 PM

389 posts, read 662,996 times
Any effects from this decision on tourism are likely to be minuscule. I've lived in this area for almost 30 years. During that time, South Florida has experienced a wave of multiple murders of European tourists, race riots on the fringes of downtown Miami after a police-involved shooting, multiple news events and crime statistics that have generated bad publicity for the region and/or the state, and a late October hurricane that left a lot of damage throughout the region weeks before the start of the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season (not to mention Hurricane Andrew, which devastated South Miami-Dade). None had a large or lasting impact on tourism.

In fact, tourism boycotts that garner a lot of publicity have been known to have the opposite effect -- for every person who'd participate in a boycott of Fort Lauderdale over this, there are likely to be people who say, "Y'know, Fort Lauderdale's my kind of place, I think I'll visit." Look at Disney -- it's been boycotted by several powerful organizations over the years, but you don't hear about Disney World's tourism numbers declining.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 PM

495 posts, read 611,458 times
It's clear that if you want a place with a conscientious community with civic participation, look to San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Minneapolis, Portland, DC, Toronto, but not Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is about transient pass-thru populations and a place to throw your dollars, or own property, or get out...although trying to win the corporate clientele will not be easy since they tend to flock to the more conservative Collier County Marco Island anyhow. But even Naples might have more regard now for individual public food sharing than the new Fort Lauderdale.

...so let's agree to disagree. I guess we can agree Fort Lauderdale is not a good place for homeless and there's other preferred places to consider.

I am still confused about the politics of Fort Lauderdale. Most of you who support this ordinance may I ask who you voted for in the election for Governor of Florida? Rick Scott or Charlie Crist.

Last edited by Ericthebean; 11-09-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 08:24 PM

18 posts, read 19,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
I guess we can agree Fort Lauderdale is not a good place for homeless and there's other preferred places to consider.
Have a wonderful night.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
struggling to understand how giving homeless people food is more illegal than the economic & social policies keeping people on the streets.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I volunteer with a group in Orlando who feeds the homeless.

Let me give you some facts.

The organization that was behind those feedings has several hidden agendas and has a long history of purposely breaking the law to get their name into the media.

The organization I volunteer with works closely with the City of Orlando to find appropriate places to feed the homeless. We've even been given space in front of City Hall in the past. We seek to do one thing--offer food (and when we have it available, clothing and basic toiletries) to the homeless. We have no political or religious agenda. Because we work with the City instead of trying to fight them to further a hidden agenda, the City is happy to work with us and will ALWAYS give us space and a permit where needed.

If groups would simply work with the City, they will be accommodated and be able to help those in need. When people purposely break the law in order to further a political agenda, they should be arrested. Breaking the law doesn't help the hungry.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 AM

495 posts, read 611,458 times
Thank you annerk! That is the first argument I have seen on this thread where the understanding of the needs of feeding the hungry is not discredited as a basis for why you stand with the city. Would your organization be willing to work out a plan to feed the homeless with the city of Fort Lauderdale? That will ease my conscience. I will like Fort Lauderdale again if you can do that much.

I am not interested in hating Fort Lauderdale. I am sad if conscientious individuals can't help the hungry but if you can work with the city and demonstrate conscientious people can feed the hungry, I will make up with Fort Lauderdale and like it all over again. Thanks! In fact if you do in Fort Lauderdale what you did for Orlando, I will go to Fort Lauderdale every time I come to Florida and eat at YOLO.

I have no problem with a prescribed way to feed the hungry, as long as there is a way.

Last edited by Ericthebean; 11-10-2014 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 10:35 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
I am really shocked at the commissioners of this paradise of a city, especially knowing this is the Democratic stronghold Broward County's main epicenter where a 67% majority votes Liberal.

The idea that the city of Fort Lauderdale would put the interests of a few residential businesses in beautification, above the importance of feeding hunger in the streets, is absolutely heartbreaking

That they can arrest a longtime 90-year old for feeding the homeless?

The story made waves all over the globe as shown below

90-year-old man arrested after feeding the homeless in Fort Lauderdale | Daily Mail Online

The worst part is that the Florida voters were deceived because they passed the ordinance at 3:30AM on election night deliberately so that the people would not have a chance to respond at the voting booths and remove these commissioners, which is in my opinion, a corrupt violation of the public trust. I cannot express how upset I am with this ordinance and I plan to not patronize any businesses in this vicinity until this ordinance is openly addressed. I don't need to...I am happy to patronize Miami beach and west palm
So instead of protesting, why don't you and some of your liberal friends get together, and help this guy find a place where he can continue to serve his food to the homeless, and be in compliance with this new ordinance? Perhaps there's a church, or some other public facility, that might be willing to provide space, and has the facilities required by the ordinance?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I did notice one thing while traveling around today, no more beggars at the exit ramp of I95 to bother the people in the cars at the light, yippeeeeeeee. I am tired of all those who approach drivers while stopped at traffic lights and walk around between the cars, so hopefully not feeding them will make them head somewhere else. I have even seen some of them scratch cars when the people did not give them money, they were ruining Fort Lauderdale, so IMO it is long overdue that they clamped down on them.

I feel the homeless should get a place to stay and food to eat but they should not be sleeping on the streets, in the parks or bothering people.

Yes I voted.

If people are so up in arms, then get together and put some cash together to buy a property for them all to sleep and eat in but please make it outside of Fort Lauderdale.
Short of having to put together the cash for buying property, seems some of the righteous indignation displayed by the protestors of this ordinance might spring for a porta-potty or two, (plus the service for same), or perhaps getting together to find a place where the guy might be able to continue serving his food to the homeless. Perhaps a church social hall ( which might be had at scheduled times for a donation to the church), or a public facility somewhere, that has bathroom facilities.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Thank you annerk! That is the first argument I have seen on this thread where the understanding of the needs of feeding the hungry is not discredited as a basis for why you stand with the city. Would your organization be willing to work out a plan to feed the homeless with the city of Fort Lauderdale? That will ease my conscience. I will like Fort Lauderdale again if you can do that much.

I am not interested in hating Fort Lauderdale. I am sad if conscientious individuals can't help the hungry but if you can work with the city and demonstrate conscientious people can feed the hungry, I will make up with Fort Lauderdale and like it all over again. Thanks! In fact if you do in Fort Lauderdale what you did for Orlando, I will go to Fort Lauderdale every time I come to Florida and eat at YOLO.

I have no problem with a prescribed way to feed the hungry, as long as there is a way.
WRONG. I said the same thing.

There are simply PARAMETERS that the city is putting into place.

And these guys are wanting PUBLICITY not "help".

I am also LAUGHING that you're asking someone from ORLANDO to do the hard work that YOU don't want to do.

What up with that?

OH WAIT. You don't even LIVE IN FLORIDA let alone FT Lauderdale and started all this chaos?

OMG, seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area