Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM

30 posts, read 93,511 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to relocate to South Florida. He has recently accepted a position in Pembroke Pines. We are looking for a place to live and have finally narrowed down our search to either Weston, Parkland or Plantation (Hawks Landing community ONLY). My question is which city does everyone like better and why??

We are relocating from Michigan. We like going out to nice dinners, going to shows, fine shopping, etc. We currently have one child, so good schools will definitely play a role in our decision of where to buy a home.

Any tips or major reasons why you would choose one area over the other would be very helpful! Thanks!

Last edited by Bjoo; 12-28-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
I live in Weston, but I have visited the other two communities, so here is my take --

Nice Dining -- all 3 cities have very good restaurants, or are close to very good restaurants. Overall, I would have to give the nod to Parkland since it's close to Coral Springs, which has more of them. Hawk's Landing and Weston are close to the Sawgrass Mall which has lots of good restaurants -- there are also some nice restaurants to the south of them in Pembroke Pines. So the edge goes to Parkland, but not by much.

Shows -- you can get to the Broward Performing Arts Center in about a 30 or so minute drive from each of these places. Parkland would be a bit longer. All 3 are also close to the BB&T Center for concerts (Parkland also a bit longer drive than Weston and Hawks Landing). Coral Springs has its Center for the Arts (close to Parkland). All 3 cities, Parkland, Weston and Plantation, have arts festivals and craft shows, etc. so no real edge to any city there, IMHO.

Good Schools -- You'll probably have some people weigh in as to which HS is better -- Western (Hawks Landing), Cypress Bay (Weston) or MS Douglas (Parkland). The elementary and middle schools for these areas all seem to be about the same -- all pretty highly rated. Both Hawks Landing and Weston are close to American Heritage, a private school -- Hawks Landing is even closer. I do not know of a non denominational private school in/near Parkland.

As for the 3 areas, Parkland has a rural, but upscale, feel to me. I have friends who live on one of the roads that dead-ends at the Sawgrass, and even though they are right next to the Expressway, you don't hear the cars because of the wall. Perhaps its because their lot is huge -- it's at least an acre -- and there are lots of tall pine trees on the property to absorb the sound. When I think of Parkland, I think of large homes with large lots.

Hawks Landing has beautiful homes with exquisite architecture; I had a client who lived in one of the smaller ones and thing that would be considered upgrades for one builder were pretty much standard in Hawks Landing. However, I thought the yards were kinda small, considering the size of the homes, and I personally wouldn't want to be in one that butts up to the 595 wall. When those homes were originally built, they were priced far above average for Plantation and I just don't know if they are worth the price -- the location is fine, but it's not spectacular -- not on the Intercoastal, or on a nature preserve, for example. But if you like it, then of course, go for it. My client loved living there.

As for Weston, I would think that many people also consider it to be an upscale community. In Weston, image is the thing -- I don't think I can recall not going a week without seeing landscapers, maintenance workers, or what have you spreading mulch, planting new plants, fertilizing, pruning, cutting, picking up trash -- it is a community that takes pride in its appearance. It definitely is an "international" community, with people from South Korea, India, Cuba, South America, Jamaica, Canada, Mexico, Russia, Israel and yes, the good ol' US of A in one giant stew. Except for the older Bonaventure section, and maybe Country Isles, practically every community is gated, and I think that is part of Weston's allure for many foreigners -- it gives the impression of safety and security.

As I mentioned, I live in Weston, and love it -- I think Parkland also is nice -- Hawks Landing? I have always had the impression it is overpriced, but that's just me.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
I am very Weston-biased. So I will always recommend Weston first Been here for 12 years.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM

142 posts, read 439,548 times
I just moved to Weston in October and love it. My understanding is parkland and weston have similar appeals. So, unless there is something really standing out for you for Parkland my opinion is why not Weston and save some time on the commute! working in PP, well, I guess it depends on where, but wouldn't Weston be significantly closer?

My opinion on Weston so far, love the schools, beautiful community, feels safe, small enough to know the area, big enough to have places to go (lots of parks and such for the kiddos).

For us, parkland was just out of the question though. My husband works in North Miami, so the 35-45 minute drive was plenty for us.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM

73 posts, read 194,486 times
Parkland hands down. I live here, I should know.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 AM

30 posts, read 93,511 times
@49 retired~
WHY Parkland though?? You live there, but that doesn't give me much useful information...

Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Parkland leaves you closer to Boca/Palm Beach (airports, cultural things to do, etc) and it hasn't been mentioned but Weston is very Spanish....lots of wealthy immigrants from South America. While it is normal for many to see in S Florida it may come as a shock to anyone just moving here.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Parkland leaves you closer to Boca/Palm Beach (airports, cultural things to do, etc) and it hasn't been mentioned but Weston is very Spanish....lots of wealthy immigrants from South America. While it is normal for many to see in S Florida it may come as a shock to anyone just moving here.
Not shocking at all. It's not like Miami. I never had to try speaking Spanish in Weston.

As for the airport proximity, Weston is only 20 minutes away from Fort Lauderdale International (FLL), easy drive on I-595.

From Parkland to Palm Beach International (PBI)... I think it's quite a hike. It is actually still a shorter distance from Parkland to FLL than Parkland to PBI.

Is Palm Beach really that much more cultural than Miami? What about Palm Beach jobs? IMO it is better to be in Weston, closer to Fort Lauderdale and Miami. And when you need to hit Palm Beach on a rare occasion, it is still very do-able from Weston.

P.S. have they fixed all the Chinese drywall issues in Parkland by now?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
If your husband is working in PP I would rank them:

1. Weston
2. Parkland
3. Hawks Landing.

I currently live in Plantation Acres but lived in Weston for 10 years. Weston is closer to PP. Most of the schools are better than average (which is bad). Weston is pretty and not that congested. The city is upscale and is close to large shopping areas like Sawgrass Mills but without the congestion. There are many Spanish speakers but I never had a problem speaking English when I lived there. The only thing I did not like is that the houses are very close together. We still have friends in Weston.

Parkland is prettier than Weston. I actually like it better than Weston but ranked it below Weston for you because of the job in PP. It is very upscale and a little more spread out than Weston. Like Weston there is not much retail in Parkland but it is close to all the retail you can imagine (in Coral Springs). I don't think being close to Boca is any big deal. There is nothing all that special in Boca. Schools are ok in Parkland. Better than average but nothing special.

I don't like Hawks Landing. It is bordered by I-595 on the south, Nob Hill Road on the east, Broward Blvd on the north and Hiatus on the west. All are busy roads. I don't know whether HL is zoned for Plantation HS (really bad) or South Plantation (bad) but the schools in Plantation are pretty bad after the kids leave elementary school. Our kids go to private school. If public school is part of the equation I would stick to Parkland or Weston. I do love living in Plantation though.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Not shocking at all. It's not like Miami. I never had to try speaking Spanish in Weston.

As for the airport proximity, Weston is only 20 minutes away from Fort Lauderdale International (FLL), easy drive on I-595.

From Parkland to Palm Beach International (PBI)... I think it's quite a hike. It is actually still a shorter distance from Parkland to FLL than Parkland to PBI.

Is Palm Beach really that much more cultural than Miami? What about Palm Beach jobs? IMO it is better to be in Weston, closer to Fort Lauderdale and Miami. And when you need to hit Palm Beach on a rare occasion, it is still very do-able from Weston.

P.S. have they fixed all the Chinese drywall issues in Parkland by now?
A. I wasn't knocking Weston but to someone from the midwest the prevalance of Spanish speakers in Weston will be shocking (especially if they thought that type of thing stopped at the Dade line)
B. In your proximity to the airport you should probably note that it is in the flight path for the FLL airport.
C. Person just wanted perspective on both. I personally would pass on both but hey that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area