Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM

15 posts, read 12,625 times

Advertisements

I moved my family of 4 (including 2 children ages 10 and 12) from Louisville, KY to Broward County in June 2014 to take a job in Miramar. Despite spending hours and hours reading forums and opinions about how bad things are here, we decided to find out on our own. When we were researching rentals online, we found plenty of 3 bedroom rentals in the $1200-$1300 a month price range, only to see when we arrived that they were in bad neighborhoods. We are currently sharing a home with someone, and will need to move soon. I am realistic and know that we cannot afford the best towns/neighborhoods in that price range and probably should not have even came here with that low of a budget, but we did, and now we need a home. Can anyone recommend a decent area that may have 3 bedroom houses/duplexes for no more than $1,300 a month? Also, what is the best way to find a rental (online, driving around, real estate agencies)? I have read many arguments and rude comments in these forums and do not have time for that. Please, if you do not have any helpful advice, do not respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:26 PM

191 posts, read 317,801 times
Well, you're in a tough situation.

Being realistic, I think you are going to need to make some sacrifices. You are probably going to have to decide if it is more important to have 3 bedrooms, or a better neighborhood. Decide which one is more important to you for the next couple of years and that will help you narrow things down a bit. Basically, you can probably get one but not both.

I think you may be stuck with an apartment / townhouse type situation. That's not the end of the world though. There are probably some apartments in Pembroke Pines close to your budget if a 2br is acceptable. I wouldn't say they would be the high end places, but still fairly safe. Personally, I would avoid the Sherman Circle area off of University and Pembroke Rd. (Unless someone can tell me it's changed for the better)

You might be able to find something around Nova University in Davie. There are a bunch of apartments/townhouses complexes that typically rent to the college students. Not perfect, but it could work.

I know there are quite a few complexes in the Coral Springs area. I'm not real familiar with Coral Springs, but judging by what I have seen the neighborhoods don't look bad.

If you need something convenient to Miramar, you could check around Miami Lakes or Palm Springs North in Dade County. Those areas are a little crowded for my taste, but they might work out for you.

As you have learned, do your homework on these places. Even within a "good" city, there can be bad neighborhoods. If you have something specific you want to ask about, fire away - someone here will probably be able to provide guidance.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
You might be able to find a 2BR apartment/townhouse in Plantation for that amount. I live in Plantation and most of the neighborhoods are nice.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:19 PM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You might be able to find a 2BR apartment/townhouse in Plantation for that amount. I live in Plantation and most of the neighborhoods are nice.

Momma, you are back in Plantation?

Old 01-01-2015, 06:30 PM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYtoFL2014 View Post
I moved my family of 4 (including 2 children ages 10 and 12) from Louisville, KY to Broward County in June 2014 to take a job in Miramar. Despite spending hours and hours reading forums and opinions about how bad things are here, we decided to find out on our own. When we were researching rentals online, we found plenty of 3 bedroom rentals in the $1200-$1300 a month price range, only to see when we arrived that they were in bad neighborhoods. We are currently sharing a home with someone, and will need to move soon. I am realistic and know that we cannot afford the best towns/neighborhoods in that price range and probably should not have even came here with that low of a budget, but we did, and now we need a home. Can anyone recommend a decent area that may have 3 bedroom houses/duplexes for no more than $1,300 a month? Also, what is the best way to find a rental (online, driving around, real estate agencies)? I have read many arguments and rude comments in these forums and do not have time for that. Please, if you do not have any helpful advice, do not respond.
I don't think that anyone here will be rude to you after all that you've been though. But, the truth is that you're not going to find a 3 bedroom place in any decent area here within your budget. Your best bet may be having the two kids room together and get a 2/2. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom place for 1300.

On the matter of 'bad neighborhoods', in southeast Florida, some areas that are typically classified as 'bad' aren't necessarily as bad as what "bad" usually means in other big metros in our great nation. It really depends on the area. The folks may not be well off, but that doesn't automatically mean that there will be drive-by shootings or that you will wake up and not find the tires on your car. What I'm saying is that since you're already here and need to make a go of it, just go with what you can afford for now with a plan to move later when your situation is different.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:47 PM

351 posts, read 460,988 times
$1300 will get you a nice 2 bedroom in Weston. Avoid online searching cuz all you're going to find are "bait and switch" deals.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Use yellowkeyrealty.com to check out different towns, Sunrise has some 3/2 in your price range, check it a couple of times a day as brand new listings show up all the time. To be honest, in your price range you are not going to find too many places in the best areas. I checked Weston and do not see any, some people do rent by owner so driving around areas you like might find some of those but for the most part good listings go mls.

I am not a realtor and have nothing to do with yellowkey, I just find the newest listings show up there quickly so I have used them to find a place for my wife and I and to help friends.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Use yellowkeyrealty.com to check out different towns, Sunrise has some 3/2 in your price range, check it a couple of times a day as brand new listings show up all the time. To be honest, in your price range you are not going to find too many places in the best areas. I checked Weston and do not see any, some people do rent by owner so driving around areas you like might find some of those but for the most part good listings go mls.

I am not a realtor and have nothing to do with yellowkey, I just find the newest listings show up there quickly so I have used them to find a place for my wife and I and to help friends.
There are currently four listings for rent in Weston that can go for $1300

Last edited by AlexRodriguez; 01-03-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 01:27 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
There are currently four listings for rent in Weston that can go for $1300

That is interesting because I can find none with 3 bedrooms and 4 with 1 bedroom, and a family cannot live in one bedroom unit, why don't you post the link to what site you are looking it up on so the op can see them too.
WESTON

Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
That is interesting because I can find none with 3 bedrooms and 4 with 1 bedroom, and a family cannot live in one bedroom unit, why don't you post the link to what site you are looking it up on so the op can see them too.
WESTON
I see. Sorry, I totally forgot that the original posting was for 3/2. I'm talking about 2 bedrooms in Weston for $1300 is the best deal in an excellent area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area