Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 PM

24 posts, read 188,646 times

Advertisements

Hi

My family and I is planning to move to the S. Fla/Ft Lauderdale area hopefully in the next couple of years. We are a Christian African American family that would like to find the best diverse,safest,inexpensive,area in S. Fla to live. We have no desire to move to Miami please. Can anyone help us?? Thanks We are currently living in the Cleveland OH area. I been to S.Fla on vacation and I loved it and we(my husband,young adult daughter and I) want to find the best place to live. We are now currently living in a quiet, multicultural area in Cleveland but we want to move to a place that is much warmer more things to do and better places for employment. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
What is your housing budget? Weston is diverse and has alot of amenities for young families, but it is a little on the expensive side.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Weston. That is ALL there is to it. Looks like mammabear beat me to it. Go do a search through Weston, there is lots of good information on this site about it.

As far as better employment, I'm sure anything is an upgrade from Cleveland in that regard, but S. FL might not be that much of an upgrade. It's very expensive to live here while pay is only slightly above average. Check out the Atlanta and Houston area for diversity and great employment options. That being said, if you land a job around here, Weston is definitely what you are looking for. I see it as being unmatched in terms of the balance between diversity and quality of life.

People have mixed options about the public schools, even the "Good" ones. For one thing, I'm an alumni of them, and I'm doing pretty well. It was a mixed bag, but I got what I needed to do well. The poster above isn't too happy with the school situation here, as are many people (go read our debate about the private schools and Western HS, the current zoned district for Weston due to the overcrowding of Cypress Bay High School, lots of good objective information and subjective opinions). It honestly all depends on where your coming from.

I would say that overall, no matter where you are coming from, there isn't much wrong with the elementary schools, except some are overcrowded. Eagle Point Elementary of Weston is a "Blue Ribbon" rated school, a very difficult feat to achieve. The middle schools aren't as good, and it could be said that the high schools pretty much suck, although they are improving.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-18-2007 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM

Talking hello again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What is your housing budget? Weston is diverse and has alot of amenities for young families, but it is a little on the expensive side.

My budget is no more than $700.00 to $800.00 rental. Is Weston the only place of diversity in S.Fla. I am not going to give up to find the perfect area to live for my family. I really want to live here.will wait for your reply. thanks! My husband did apply for a job in the Cleveland Clinic hospital in Weston and he is still waiting for an answer. I am aware that how expensive it could be ther but we will live up to the challenge!!! I love challenges. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM

thanks compelled for your reply but I really desire to move to S. Fla. Yes I heard that it is quite expensive there but with God's help there is a way to be made. I just feel in my heart that I am "compelled" to move there. Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttodwellinsfla08 View Post
My budget is no more than $700.00 to $800.00 rental. Is Weston the only place of diversity in S.Fla. I am not going to give up to find the perfect area to live for my family. I really want to live here.will wait for your reply. thanks! My husband did apply for a job in the Cleveland Clinic hospital in Weston and he is still waiting for an answer. I am aware that how expensive it could be ther but we will live up to the challenge!!! I love challenges. Thanks for the reply.
All of Broward County is diverse, except for maybe Parkland. And even thats diverse for the type of area it is (ultra upscale). It's also not very segregated, you tend to find that class is more of a factor than race. It's still very mixed, and it works well for the open minded, and because of this the Fort Lauderdale area isn't for the faint at heart.

But, for 700 to 800 a month, sorry, but I say forget it. 800 barley gets you a marginal 1 bedroom in an ok side of town. In Weston, it's impossible. You definitely ought to look into Houston or Atlanta (chiefly Gwinnett County area) for jobs, diversity and more affordable living. It will be beyond a "challenge", it will be nearly impossible. The only other possibility I can think of is a mobile home in Davie, and you don't want to do that in South Florida's climate.

Boost to about 1200 a month, and the situation changes. You can rent a pretty decent 2 bedroom condo for that price out here. Definitely keep us posted .

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-18-2007 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
$700-$800 rental is unrealistic in Weston and most of Broward.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM

I particularly do not want to live in Weston at all but its got to be someplace affordable down there correct???? I have seen some pretty affordable rentals just surfing online. Come one guys work with me here???? Do you mean I have to move in the Ghetto??? I have no desire to move to Houston or Atlanta been to both cities just not interested. I love the atomsphere in S. Fla. Thanks Something about the beaches I quess. I do not know what it is but I am not giving up???? Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 PM

I was told by some former Floridians that now lives in Cleveland that jobs are easy to find there. They just could not stand the heat in Florida so they moved north.Can someone please help me??? I know that the area have jobs there that can pay fairly well correct???? I do not have to live like a millionaire. I hope someone can help me??? Just a little confused. Thanks

Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I particularly do not want to live in Weston at all but its got to be someplace affordable down there correct???? I have seen some pretty affordable rentals just surfing online. Come one guys work with me here???? Do you mean I have to move in the Ghetto??? I have no desire to move to Houston or Atlanta been to both cities just not interested. I love the atomsphere in S. Fla. Thanks Something about the beaches I quess. I do not know what it is but I am not giving up???? Thanks again.
You could look into parts of the North Lauderdale area. More affordable than other areas, very diverse but it's safe. Working class community. The schools are not good there, but it doesn't sound like you need them yet. And although jobs are fairly easy to come by pay higher down here than some other areas, it's not up to speed of the cost of living. All and all I wouldn't do it unless you can spend at LEAST 1000 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area