Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 18,760 times

Advertisements

I will be transferring to Fort Lauderdale, and working at the airport. I would like to know what are the nicest, yet closest areas to live near the airport. If there aren't any nice areas, then I would like to know that as well. I don't mind commuting in if necessary. Some cities (such as the one I live in) have neighborhoods near their airports that are complete dumps; run down, drug infested, and unsafe! Most professionals that work at the airport in my city have to commute in. I have only been to Fort Lauderdale once, so I am not familiar with the city. I will more than likely get an apartment until I become accustomed with the city. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Weston. You won't find nicer. And the I-595 Express Lanes start in Weston and end right before the airport - no exits/entrances in between. 50 cents one way.

You can also look at Cooper City. Closer to the airport, but not near a highway, and you Won't get the express lanes.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 PM

Well, to be fair, parts of Davie and Plantation are nice too. But no express lanes.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Near the airport in nice areas would probably be zip codes 33316 which is in the 17th street causeway area, and Las Olas would be nice as well which is in the 33301 area, then a little less expensive might be 33315 which the nice parts are on the other side of the river from Las Olas, also some parts of Dania Beach are nice too but not as nice as most parts of the first 3. Of course price range will have a lot to do with where you will wish to live in order to stay within what you wish to spend.

I agree that Weston, west Davie, west Cooper City and west Plantation are nice and some would be close to I595 which would make it a quick trip to the airport, but only when not during rush hours.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM

92 posts, read 111,782 times
Nothing around the airport,is real bad...Cooper city would be my choice,a short commute..

Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 PM

351 posts, read 460,937 times
I agree with Rusky. I live off Indian Trace and I make it to the airport in 20 minutes thanks to the express lanes - forget about rush hour (what is that?) that doesn't exist in the express lanes. I work a few blocks from the airport and my commute everyday is a breeze. No other nice city in Broward has such a privilege.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,840 times
Plantation south of Broward and around University is nice. Its about 15 minutes to FLL. Just south to 595 and its a straight shot to FLL.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:16 AM

389 posts, read 662,578 times
A couple of important questions: Are you single without children, or raising a family? And what is your housing budget? If you are single and can afford it, Las Olas/downtown Fort Lauderdale makes a lot of sense. The western suburbs listed are nice, and convenient to the airport, but they are a bit more oriented toward families with kids. Downtown is about a 15-minute drive to the airport down U.S. 1, although heavy traffic and frequent stoplights can slow it a bit.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 AM

191 posts, read 317,801 times
It's really going to depend on the lifestyle you want to live.

If you are a single, apartment dweller type - then the downtown Ft. Lauderdale / Las Olas area would work for you. You could even go down to Aventura, or find a place along Hollywood / Hallandale beaches. It would depend on your budget really.

If you have a family and want a house, then the western side of Broward is where you want to look. Again, where exactly you end up would depend on budget and taste. Weston, Davie, Cooper City and a few others would fit the bill. Of course you want to actually see these places for yourself. Some of the cities have individual neighborhoods that you may like or not like. Don't just go by the city name. There are parts of Plantation that are nice, and parts that aren't really that great. The same holds true for Sunrise, Hollywood and many others.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 AM

The only thing about Cooper City is that you first have to reach I-595, which could take some time in the rush hour traffic. And you won't be able to jump into the express lanes from there.

Harbor Beach area of Fort Lauderdale is probably the next best choice after Weston

But if you have kids, and want them to attend the best public schools - then go Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area