Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:35 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So I'm finished my trip around FL to check it out as a winter getaway to live for a few months. I was just not crazy about SE Florida so I think I can cross it off my list. The traffic is terrible and it takes so long to get anywhere. I drove from Palm Beach down to Coconut Grove. Stopped at Palm Beach, Lake Worth, Delray Beach, Lauderdale by the Sea, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, North Miami area, Coconut Grove. The whole area was just not my cup of tea, too dense, too much congestion (Seattle where I live has terrible traffic but I thought SE FL was even worse), lacking in character. I just didn't feel it. Delray was OK but still wasn't crazy about it. I actually like the latin vibe and international feel of Miami, but it's too hard to get around and too many downsides to it. Also South Beach is not really my cup of tea. If I did FL it would probably be downtown St. Petes or Gulfport. I think the Atlantic Coast is prettier then the Gulf, but at least St. Petes has a little character to it, some historic architecture and less congestion. I also liked the Northeast FL coast a lot more than SE FL (Jax Beach, St. Aug. Beach, Amelia Island), but it's probably a little quiet for me at this point and cooler Dec-Feb. Reminded me more of Cape Cod, Maine, etc... I think SE FL just ruined their coast with the high rises and too much density. I might do a trip report in the general Florida forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 AM

389 posts, read 662,578 times
As I always say, Broward County is not for everyone. I commend you for doing a lot of due diligence before reaching that conclusion and hope you like wherever you do end up. The point about the area's density is especially spot on -- if there's even a tiny sliver of vacant land available, someone will build on it. Blame that on the developers, and the local governmental officials who allow it to happen.

Last edited by Papillons2; 02-02-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
I am not sure what traffic the op is referring to but now that I am retired and can pick when to go out, I find that there is little traffic in Broward country during off peak hours and even less during the summer time but yes during snowbird time and peak hours it does gets busy.

I am always happy when someone finds out that Florida is not for them, it means even less traffic for me during peak hours but since I rarely travel during peak hours, I find very little traffic most times when I am out and about.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:38 PM

I have to say California did a much better job with zoning with it's beach towns. It didn't destroy it's coast with high rises and too much density like SE FL did. Places like Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Capitola, Big Sur, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, etc... are so much more tasteful. There are no towns like that at all that I saw in SE FL. Delray maybe the closest. Someone made the decision to not put up those ugly nasty high rises and saved the ambiance of the CA Coastline. It's unfortunate as I really like the tropical climate in FL from Nov to April better than CA's winter climate. And I like the lushness and greenery of FL tropical foliage better than the Mediterranean browns of CA. The people are also a lot different in the CA beach towns, it has a more refined tasteful feel with more interesting restaurants, etc.... As it's been said many times on this board, FL seems to attract more than it's share of lower mentality types for some reason.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I have to say California did a much better job with zoning with it's beach towns. It didn't destroy it's coast with high rises and too much density like SE FL did. Places like Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Capitola, Big Sur, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, etc... are so much more tasteful. There are no towns like that at all that I saw in SE FL. Delray maybe the closest. Someone made the decision to not put up those ugly nasty high rises and saved the ambiance of the CA Coastline. It's unfortunate as I really like the tropical climate in FL from Nov to April better than CA's winter climate. And I like the lushness and greenery of FL tropical foliage better than the Mediterranean browns of CA. The people are also a lot different in the CA beach towns, it has a more refined tasteful feel with more interesting restaurants, etc.... As it's been said many times on this board, FL seems to attract more than it's share of lower mentality types for some reason.
Isn't that why you were looking at South Florida?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
So you come to a forum which is about Florida and ask for information. Members go out of our way to post information for you and then you have the need to insult the people who live in Florida. Posts like your make me wish to not bother replying to people who seek advice, maybe you have done me a favor, realizing that I should not waste my time, so thank you.

I understand that Florida is not for everyone and I am in fact thankful it's not, or then there would really be too much traffic.

I never mind when people say they do not like Florida for real reasons but your reasons were bogus from my POV, after having lived here many years, but I accept that you did not like it and I for one hope you find your paradise somewhere, but for my wife and I, this area is paradise after we have traveled around the US, and some, but not most, parts of the world. I am sure some other places would be much better and I sure hate the hurricanes when they do hit or are approaching but other than that I hope we never are forced to move out of Florida due to too many unhappy people moving in, so I am glad you will not be one of them.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 02-03-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
So you come to a forum which is about Florida and ask for information. Members go out of our way to post information for you and then you have the need to insult the people who live in Florida. Posts like your make me wish to not bother replying to people who seek advice, maybe you have done me a favor, realizing that I should not waste my time, so thank you.

I understand that Florida is not for everyone and I am in fact thankful it's not, or then there would really be too much traffic.

I never mind when people say they do not like Florida for real reasons but your reasons were bogus from my POV, after having lived here many years, but I accept that you did not like it and I for one hope you find your paradise somewhere, but for my wife and I, this area is paradise after we have traveled around the US, and some, but not most, parts of the world. I am sure some other places would be much better and I sure hate the hurricanes when they do hit or are approaching but other than that I hope we never are forced to move out of Florida due to too many unhappy people moving in, so I am glad you will not be one of them.
People on this forum need to be able to take a little criticism. This message board IS ABOUT people's personal opinions. And those are my opinions. If you don't like them, don't read them. Everyone doesn't have to be "rah rah positive" all the time and tell people what they want to hear. I personally find it refreshing when people "tell it how they see it" and don't mince words and sugar coat things. I didn't say I disliked ALL of FL, I just mostly disliked SE FL from Palm Beach down to Coconut Grove. I thought SE FL was just plain terrible, that is my opinion (and obviously if you read this forum a little bit I am not alone in that opinion). I actually liked downtown St. Petes, Gulfport, parts of Orlando like Winter Park & Windemere, St. Augustine Beach, Jacksonville/Neptune/Atlantic Beach, and Amelia Island/Fernandia Beach.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
People on this forum need to be able to take a little criticism. This message board IS ABOUT people's personal opinions. And those are my opinions. If you don't like them, don't read them. Everyone doesn't have to be "rah rah positive" all the time and tell people what they want to hear. I personally find it refreshing when people "tell it how they see it" and don't mince words and sugar coat things. I didn't say I disliked ALL of FL, I just mostly disliked SE FL from Palm Beach down to Coconut Grove. I thought SE FL was just plain terrible, that is my opinion (and obviously if you read this forum a little bit I am not alone in that opinion). I actually liked downtown St. Petes, Gulfport, parts of Orlando like Winter Park & Windemere, St. Augustine Beach, Jacksonville/Neptune/Atlantic Beach, and Amelia Island/Fernandia Beach.
We get it. You don't like. Good luck as you move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area