Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,343 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'm from Orlando, Born and raised. Oddly enough I've never really been to the Miami-Ft.Laud area. Ive been THROUGH it on the way to the keys a few times. I have been offered a job in between ft. Lauderdale and Pompano beach areas and would like some advice based on living areas. My Wife is a teacher, and our combined salaries will be in the 90k dollar range. I have looked at a few real estate websites and found houses down there are VERY expensive. Much more so than around Orlando. So much so that I'm afraid the big bump in my salary will mean nothing. So my questions are:

Any good areas around the Ft. Laud-Pomp Beach area with decent housing prices? We rent now and would like to buy a home within a year of living there. We don't have any kids yet but hopefully will be soon. We currently live in a 3bd/2bath house. Looking for about the same there. I am cool with around a 45min commute. I get good gas mileage lol. I would not mind living away from the city proper.

Are everyday prices of things more in S FL than in C Florida (gas, food, etc)? I have heard that they are but have gotten no real info.

I have heard, that like in Orlando, the neighborhoods there go from mansions to dumps in about a block. is this true?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 02:28 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,239,761 times
What is expensive for one person may be considered cheap for another. Yes, prices will probably be higher on many items in South Florida than Orlando so shopping at discount places and buying items when they are on sale such as Costco, Walmart, Target Super Stores etc will bring food and essential items prices down.

Broward County has good areas and bad areas, so prices will vary on rentals or home purchases.
Look within the following links for the houses in the west of each area West Sunrise, West Davie, West Cooper City,

Then there is Coconut Creek.

For food sales you can check Winn Dixie and Publix in the zip codes you may wish to live to compare. Gasoline price Wednesday in Davie was $2.29, last week it was $2.01

Good luck, hope it all works out for you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area