Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 03:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,431 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm relocating to Plantation with my spouse.
I was offered a 65K salary and I was wondering if it is enough for a couple and if not how much is? as I would like to know how much my spouse will "need to bring home".

I searched the web and found some data regarding the median household income ([URL]//www.city-data.com/income/income-Plantation-Florida.html[/URL]), but this data goes back to 2011/12.
Hope someone can shed some light here as I'm not sure if this accurate and relevant.

Thank you advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Hard to say since we all live different lives, there are places where rent alone would eat up the 65k and other nice places where you can rent for $2000 a month and other places where you can rent for under $800 a month. You have to look at how much rent you will be paying, will you have car payments etc. My wife and I can easily live on $65,000 but we do not have to have the best phones, or the best data plan, or cable with all the bells and whistles, or a home phone with all that is available, it is not how much a person makes but how much they spend. Start with your known items and work from there.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:49 PM

204 posts, read 291,852 times
Like Mr. Lee said, it really depends on your lifestyle. I make about that currently and lived in a 2/2 apartment in downtown Fort Lauderdale for $2000 (with a roommate.) I also have a car, student loans, and cell phone (among other things.) I went out to nice dinners, had an active social life, and still went shopping and on vacations. You may not be able to save a ton depending on your lifestyle, but you should be just fine if you budget yourself well.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:16 AM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Where in Plantation? This city isn't very big but housing in the central and western parts of it is more expensive than in the eastern part. Are you planning to rent or buy? If you plan to buy you may find that $65k will not qualify you for a mortgage for most houses in the nicer parts of Plantation. Other costs may also be higher depending on where you're moving from.

Its difficult to figure how much you will need without knowing more details about how much you spend on average per month. For instance..car note, student loans, medical bills, credit card payments... Also according to your lifestyle...how much do you spend on clothes, vacations, eating out, entertainment, etc.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 929 times
Just behind the old Motorola campus now new Plantation Pointe there are several villa communities that if remodeled offer great square footage at unheard of low prices compared to the rest of Plantation. That corner there seems to be the up and coming place for the south eastern part of Plantation.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:46 AM

50 posts, read 85,849 times
It probably isn't enough, regardless of your lifestyles. I'd say she would need to bring in at least 40K.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:06 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
What does your wife do? Does she work currently? Do you have children/dependents? If not, I would say if she can combine to add another $30-40 K you would be fine. The general rule of thumb is to keep housing costs at 25% or less of your income. If you make $65K combined, you should spend no more than $1354/mo on rent. If you want $2000/mo rent, you should combine to earn at least $96K, so your wife would have to earn $31K.

As others mentioned though, different people have different lifestyles. A family of 5 is going to have much higher expenses than a family of 2 with no kids. If you have 2 car payments, that will add substantially to your expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area