Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 PM

71 posts, read 140,828 times

Advertisements

A friend tried getting her child to a school in my district. My friend does not live within the boundaries of the school but I do. She tried going through the proper channels but was denied a seat in the high school.

She asked me if I could register the kid in HS as if the kid was living in my household. I have no problem with that - I know the parent really well and I do not have a kid of my own in any high school, yet. Is this something that is permitted?

I see/hear of other people doing the same thing, who do not live within the boundaries, just to game the system - it is a shame they get away with it, while someone tried to go through the right channels is denied.

Anybody ever seen/heard of anything like it or perhaps that can speak from experience? I don't blame my friend for trying to look for a much better option for her child.... I could not imagine any other parent not trying to be 'creative' in this day and age.

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:44 AM

191 posts, read 316,454 times
Well, it can be done - but it's more than just saying the student lives with you.

There are specific document requirements that are needed, which can be found on the school district website.

Basically, the parent or guardian needs to establish they reside at the necessary address. You will need something like a lease or a mortgage statement along with utility bills etc.

Just as a warning - the school board has previously said that in the case of leases that are presented to them, the information will be passed along to the tax collector's office. I'm not sure if they have ever actually followed through with this plan though. Basically if you say you are "renting" from a relative, and that gets reported to the tax collector - the relative can lose their homestead exemption.

Again, not sure if they are doing this or not - but it has been mentioned as possible.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:00 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,196,941 times
Confusing as in another thread you started few months ago you said you do not live in a good school district. Now you say you have a friend trying to get her child into your school districts high school. Which one is it? Why would she want to lie to get her kid into a not so good school? Odd. If caught it will bite you back.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:52 PM

14,890 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Confusing as in another thread you started few months ago you said you do not live in a good school district. Now you say you have a friend trying to get her child into your school districts high school. Which one is it? Why would she want to lie to get her kid into a not so good school? Odd. If caught it will bite you back.

The OP started the identical thread in the Miami forum, hard to tell where it is he and the hypothetical friend and her kid actually live. I don't think the responses would be that different wherever he posts his comments, because they would face the same issues all over. In fact, I had read in the past that the Broward public schools, especially those in the western suburbs, are even more overcrowded than the Miami-Dade county schools, so his friend might have even a harder time shoehorning her kid into an "out of area" school. And I have seen reports of some of those schools making special efforts to find and toss those kids out of their schools, the overcrowding was that bad.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,196,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The OP started the identical thread in the Miami forum, hard to tell where it is he and the hypothetical friend and her kid actually live. I don't think the responses would be that different wherever he posts his comments, because they would face the same issues all over. In fact, I had read in the past that the Broward public schools, especially those in the western suburbs, are even more overcrowded than the Miami-Dade county schools, so his friend might have even a harder time shoehorning her kid into an "out of area" school. And I have seen reports of some of those schools making special efforts to find and toss those kids out of their schools, the overcrowding was that bad.
If you look at this posters history you will see what I am referring to here. Back in April poster posted on on the FT. Lauderdale forum here quite opposite of what they are asking now. Saying it is her kid that they were trying to get into a better school..not a friend. That is why I posted about the conflicting post. Which is why I am questioning the validity of this persons posts.

Yes true in Western Broward the schools are the best. That is probably why they are so overcrowded in the 1st place. Anyone Broward wants their kids to go to the "Weston" schools. One has to wonder if they are strict enough about students going there that live outside the school district. Or if money is involved allowing out of area students to go to those schools there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area