Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,780 times

Advertisements

Guys,

I bought a condo not so long ago west of the turnpike here in Plantation, FL. Back then this community was a pleasant and quiet place to live. It was made up of people who actually cared about their living space and had some type of values. But within the last year this place has changed its standards completely.

All of a sudden within the last 12 months we have loud music being played in the parking lot late at night. People outside drinking or just talking late at night after 2:00am. They are likely to be from the other buildings. But the new neighbors that just recently moved in play music very loud, are always drinking and leaving their garbage for other people to pick up. Have multiple dogs when only 1 dog is accepted. For some reason I'm able to hear all their furniture scratching and dragging since they are no longer using carpet. There's more than 3 people living there, probably 5-6 and they smoke cigarettes and leave the butts for someone else to clean it. They slam their door multiple times a day starting at 5:00am. I'm also not sure why I'm able to hear all their furniture drag since they aren't on top or on the side of me?

Is there anything I can do besides moving out of here? I'm stuck paying a mortgage and a $300+ dollar maintenance fee. They are impossible to talk to. The rest of the building is no longer being cleaned or taken care of and is now a place that's completely different from what it was 2 years ago. What would you guys suggest me to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,403 times
Talk to your condo board and your police dept, late night noise is illegal in most places.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Talk to your condo board and your police dept, late night noise is illegal in most places.
Sadly Mr. Lee the association doesn't care. This has taught me a lesson in life. The type of people that are around us in our living environment are a direct representation of the value we offer to society at that specific moment. There's a reason why certain places are higher in price...The cost to move into a place is a form of barrier so you don't have to deal with this. I now can't sleep and have to deal with people leaving cigarette butts and empty beer cans outside of my living space, nevermind the constant music, furniture scratching on the floor and slamming doors. I have no auditory peace...I can't think properly anymore.

Guys before moving into a place make sure to analyze your neighbors. This situation has launched me into a depression about my current status in life.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,403 times
For peace of mind, stop worrying about the outside and instead worry about your inside and your peace, neighbors change over time, it may get worse or it may get better, possibly think about using a sound machine when you sleep, that might help, one helps me, they sell some at Bed Bath and beyond, HERE is some, hope that helps you to get some sleep.

As for less noise at higher end places, not always true, inconsiderate people come from/with money too and the moving of furniture noise happens in most condos. The most important is to not let it get you sick. I try to use the serenity prayer when stuck between a rock and a hard place.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Run for board. Remember board is a group of volunteers who are always short staffed or start a sub committee to address quality of life issues. If you own it take responsibility.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 PM

610 posts, read 746,179 times
Honestly? Move. It won't get better. It will probably get worse.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Honestly? Move. It won't get better. It will probably get worse.
I fear this is the results of the Progressives and unless you move to the center of 40 acres, you will find this to be the new way of life. IMHO

Old 08-03-2015, 05:17 PM

I came to the conclusion today that most of these people are just being who they are. They don't look at at you in the eyes, they are indifferent about what it means to live within a community, don't clean, don't care, slam doors etc. But the problem isn't them, after all when they moved here they should've been analyzed and reviewed by the board and given some sort of rules to follow in order to coexist. But they weren't... the association board just takes our money and does not invest back into the building. They are supposed to manage these type of issues but they don't care. All the money just goes to their pocket. This place is now a disgusting slum...

I understand that this is the result of the economic problems we had down here a few years ago, and most of these people were rented, or sold to out of desperation, so the owners could cover their losses. After looking at some of these people in eyes, I came to the realization that ignorance is just part of their programming and way of approaching life. The way they are acting is normal within their present reality. If I attempt to come in and say "hey don't do this or that" I will just be impeding in their way of life. It will go against my motto of live and let live...

Sadly I will have to move towards public shaming of our management in order to get anything done here, since they are failing to educate the residents on what it means to live in a huge box filled with other people. I'm wondering if I can have some type of refund for the years that I've payed maintenance and nothing has changed for the better? But on another note I will look for ways to increase my income and move out of here. I start some type of neighbor war, I'll just lose out energy I could use to better current situation and change my environment. Also considering the way of life of these people, I might end up doing something that they like or gives them satisfaction. Arguments, fights etc... feed these negative people, and they seem to like it, since they do it so often.

Guys the United States of today is no longer the United States of yesterday. With all the amount of educational media and inexpensive literature we have here, we are at the bottom of the pyramid in terms of general education and ethics. No one reads, no one gives a **** about anything. Living with your ego in front of you as the main vehicle, and acting like cavemen is the way some of these people live. The average resident here in the lower strata of society is an ignorant sheep. If you value your peace, do not move to South Florida unless you can afford to live in a good area out west of the metro area or east in a nice upscale condo. I learned this the hard way...

Last edited by Inthemoment1; 08-03-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 03:45 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Refund for paid maintenance? You are joking, right? You bought a condo and by doing so agreed to pay the monthly maintenance. No one gets a refund for maintenance. If you don't like the situation at your building, then sell or as someone else stated, get a position on the board.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 AM

38 posts, read 35,848 times
I remember old people saying things like "This new generation" and just think, well, they are old. However, what they said holds true. Decent people want to live in a nice, civilized, near well-behaved neighbors who are quiet and respectful. A high percentage of people in the United States today are rude, don't care, are selfish, don't care about disturbing your sleep, don't care about you or your car or you property, do drugs, are immoral, disrespectful, inconsiderate, lazy...In other words, the U.S. is full of losers. The rich and well-to-do are able to screen out these types of people by paying a higher price for their properties where they can stay away from these types of problems. I am thinking about moving to South Florida next month and I am concerned about where I will find peace and nice people without breaking the bank. I used to live in Las Vegas and actually for over 18 months living there I NEVER had to deal with noisy, obnoxious and rude neighbors having lived both in an apt and later in a townhouse. BUT you do get what you pay for. Affordable and peaceful aren't synonymous. I am hoping to rent a nice place or a room with safe parking and not too far from the beach. But based on what I have been reading in these forums, I too am wondering if I will end up having to deal with loserville, this generation of uncivilized human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area