Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 09:12 AM

43 posts, read 73,218 times

Advertisements

I am in my late 30s and currently residing in Boca Raton. However, I am a little tired of living here in Boca. I grew up here and I love Boca, but I feel its time for a change of scenery. With that being said, I would still like to stay in the South Florida area. I am an avid golf and tennis player and would like to live in a gated community.

I have after exploring the area, I have found either Palm Beach Gardens or Weston would best fit my life style. I will still be working in Boca Raton, which is about equal distance from PBG and Weston? Except PGA is north and Weston is south on the FLA Pike. I am right?

Anyways, for you guys who live in South Florida which one do you prefer? Pros and Cons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
We own a home in Weston and I have stayed in PBG a few times so I can give you my opinion but I just don't know what is more important to you. Anyway, here goes:

1. Proximity to the beach--PBG
2. Schools--Weston
3. Safety--Weston
4. Retail shopping--if you're looking just w/i the city limits of each town, then PBG. If you're looking 10/15 minutes outside of the city, then a draw since Weston is close to one of the major retail attractions in Florida, Sawgrass Mall.
5. Restaurants (fine dining, mom and pop, and national chains)--see above, PBG. If willing to venture 10/15 minutes from town, about a draw although if pressed, I might still give the edge to PBG.

As far as golf and property values, I'll leave it to others to chime in. Weston has 2 golf courses that I know of. I honestly don't know if one city gives you more for your money than another. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:39 AM

389 posts, read 662,130 times
GREAT question ... may be the first time a comparison of these communities has been requested, at least since I've been frequenting these boards. My inclination is to say you can't go wrong with either, but there are some differences that could sway you in either direction (I've never lived in either place but know quite a few people who do, or have).

Do you have a family? School-age children? If so, I'd probably go with Weston. On the other hand, I work with a few single people in your age group who live in Palm Beach Gardens and enjoy it.

Weston is a melting pot as far as diversity, which I'm not sure you'd find in Palm Beach Gardens.

I'd also evaluate the surrounding atmosphere. Weston is certainly an atypical area of Broward -- but it's still part of the county, meaning you're going to be surrounded by a frenetic pace and bigger-city atmosphere. Palm Beach Gardens will be a little less big-city and typical of Palm Beach County in that once you get a bit north of West Palm Beach, the pace starts to slow (and it REALLY starts to slow once you head just north of Palm Beach Gardens and get into Jupiter and then Martin County). So your decision also would depend on what sort of atmosphere you're most comfortable with.

As far as recreational opportunities, Palm Beach Gardens is the home of PGA National and several other great golf courses and communities, and dozens of PGA Tour players live in the vicinity. Enough said.

Last edited by Papillons2; 08-08-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Both are great communities, but as far as "change of scenery" you're seeking?? I couldn't think of 2 cities that are more like Boca than these 2. Granted they dont look exactly the same, but both look very very much a like.

Weston is basically a bunch of sub-divisions and gated communities next to eachother. PBG feels a little more like an actual town cuz it has retail and malls and other things going on. Weston, you need to travel outside of Weston (granted not very far, but still...) to get decent shopping, etc. Also, Weston has a lot more Hispanics than PBG and prob more diversity overall. Also, Weston is part of a larger metro, where PBG seems like it's kinda in the far northern reaches of south FL and if u want any type of city life or conveniences beyond west palm you'll have to travel a good bit. Weston u can be in Miami or Fort Lauderdale within 20 mins.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM

351 posts, read 460,707 times
The three posts above are right on the money. If you're planning to have kids, then Weston should be your choice. I live in Weston and I'm planning to stay here for a long time, I feel safe here and this is an extremely well managed city. From Weston, you can go to Miami, to Fort Lauderdale, to Boca, to whatever you want in SoFL.
Good luck in your search!!

Old 08-15-2015, 09:40 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
....and you have a great hospital in Weston, the Cleveland Clinic~!~!

Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
I am a huge fan of PBG having spent a lot of time there as a kid. It is one of my favorite towns in South FL and has lots of character. It has a perfect mix of beach life, shopping, and is close to West Palm, and only 1 hour north of Fort Lauderdale. IMO Boca and Weston have more in common than Boca with PBG, although I agree with the assessment of all 3 areas being somewhat similar in many regards. PBG has more diversity than Boca or Weston IMO. Also, some parts of PBG are shady as you go further south of PGA Blvd. PBG is more of a blend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area