Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:35 PM

38 posts, read 35,861 times

Advertisements

WHere is the most activity for buying and selling real estate in the Ft. Lauderdale area and what price ranges? I am planning on moving there and was exploring the real estate market. THe only information I have is that Miami is where most of the sales are occurring but from what I can see, Ft. lauderdale seems to be a nicer place to live than Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:57 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
realtor.com

Old 08-16-2015, 10:48 AM

366 posts, read 517,274 times
the market has stabilized. prices in some sections may still rise but i think a minor correction is possible. i believe after living in both miami and broward you get better value for money in broward. rent is high in south florida so buying with a mortgage can be a lot cheaper than renting even with taxes and repairs etc. i personally like some of the gated communities of pembroke pines, weston, davie, cooper city. 400k get you in a nice 3-4 bed gated home in a nice community.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNOM View Post
WHere is the most activity for buying and selling real estate in the Ft. Lauderdale area and what price ranges? I am planning on moving there and was exploring the real estate market. THe only information I have is that Miami is where most of the sales are occurring but from what I can see, Ft. lauderdale seems to be a nicer place to live than Miami.
There are price ranges for every taste here

What is your price range?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNOM View Post

How much do you want to spend and what type of property are you looking to find? Broward County is very diverse and has a varied housing stock. You need to have some sort of idea what you are looking for in order for us to help you

Old 08-17-2015, 10:05 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
the market has stabilized. prices in some sections may still rise but i think a minor correction is possible. i believe after living in both miami and broward you get better value for money in broward. rent is high in south florida so buying with a mortgage can be a lot cheaper than renting even with taxes and repairs etc. i personally like some of the gated communities of pembroke pines, weston, davie, cooper city. 400k get you in a nice 3-4 bed gated home in a nice community.
I can assure you that buying is not cheaper than renting. You can rent a 3BR house or a downtown luxury condo in Las Olas for around $2000/mo. A $400K house on a 30 year fixed with 20% down, the principle & interest payments alone would be around $1500/mo. By the time you factor in insurance, taxes, repairs/upkeep, and HOA dues, that amount easily doubles. Buying is certainly the better option for the long term though. I won't debate that.

Although the market may stabilize, prices won't go down necessarily. There is strong demand driven by European and South Americans moving here en mass despite the short comings of the U.S. economy. There is also a steady of people from New York and California moving here for cheaper housing comparatively speaking. We also are landlocked here in South FL, so with no more new housing developments being constructed, there will be upward pressure on values of existing homes going forward.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 AM

366 posts, read 517,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I can assure you that buying is not cheaper than renting. You can rent a 3BR house or a downtown luxury condo in Las Olas for around $2000/mo. A $400K house on a 30 year fixed with 20% down, the principle & interest payments alone would be around $1500/mo. By the time you factor in insurance, taxes, repairs/upkeep, and HOA dues, that amount easily doubles. Buying is certainly the better option for the long term though. I won't debate that.

Although the market may stabilize, prices won't go down necessarily. There is strong demand driven by European and South Americans moving here en mass despite the short comings of the U.S. economy. There is also a steady of people from New York and California moving here for cheaper housing comparatively speaking. We also are landlocked here in South FL, so with no more new housing developments being constructed, there will be upward pressure on values of existing homes going forward.
taxes on a 400k house will only be about 4k a year as taxed rates are never the real rates. 2k a year insurance or so plus a bit of maintence so low 2k's a month for ownership?? if you in a gated community add about 200 a month. most 400k houses in my hood are 2800-3200 to rent a year. plus you get the long term capital growth. your property taxes paid are also a tax deduction. the old saying... rent money is dead money!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
I know someone that recently sold a house for over 7mm.....buyer paid cash and closing was 15 days after signing the contract!

Needless to say for some people, fast transactions do occur!

Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
taxes on a 400k house will only be about 4k a year as taxed rates are never the real rates. 2k a year insurance or so plus a bit of maintence so low 2k's a month for ownership?? if you in a gated community add about 200 a month. most 400k houses in my hood are 2800-3200 to rent a year. plus you get the long term capital growth. your property taxes paid are also a tax deduction. the old saying... rent money is dead money!
2K for insurance on a $400K house? That seems very low. Most people I know are paying significantly higher than that, and are paying extra for flood insurance.

I do agree that buying is a much better option long term. There's no debating that.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 AM

987 posts, read 823,816 times
Thought I posted a follow up...sorry. Price range $150-225k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area