U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM

440 posts, read 464,879 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing these articles about how South Florida, including the Fort Lauderdale area, is at ground zero for being affected by rising sea levels in the United States with Miami Beach having to put in pumps to pump out seawater that comes up through their rainwater drains during high tides and $8 million dollars being spent in just one neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale because the area keeps getting flooded during high tides so I began to wonder who in this area feels they are doing their part to help stem global warming and the resulting rise in sea levels by riding a bicycle to where they need to go rather than driving a motor vehicle?

I've noticed several bike shops in the area but I hardly ever see anyone riding a bicycle. Do people buy bikes and then take them to somewhere else to ride? Considering how full of traffic the streets are here almost all the time now and how much fossil fuel is being burned and adding global warming greenhouse gasses into our atmosphere helping make global warming get worse as the melting of the glaciers and the ice at the North and South poles has accelerated, one would think that more people here, most especially those who have homes that sit next to bodies of water connected to the ocean, would be a bit more into riding bikes and walking to their destinations, particularly when the hot summer heat abates, than driving their motor vehicles everywhere they go.

It's particularly interesting to see the parking lots at area gyms filled with motor vehicles and people inside the gyms on stationary bikes pedaling away working to loose body fat or keep their weight down while the majority of gym members here drive a gas burning motor vehicle to the gym.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 04:10 PM

220 posts, read 191,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotandHumid View Post
It's particularly interesting to see the parking lots at area gyms filled with motor vehicles and people inside the gyms on stationary bikes pedaling away working to loose body fat or keep their weight down while the majority of gym members here drive a gas burning motor vehicle to the gym.
Because there's a much smaller chance of getting hit by a car inside a gym on a stationary bike than there is out on the street...

And anyone who actually rides a bicycle upon a major roadway in South Florida is a suicidal idiot, no matter what their "rights" are, or where the unprotected bicycle lane says they should ride.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:10 PM

2,970 posts, read 12,933,879 times
Maybe you don't see many people riding bikes in your area, but out where I live in Weston there are hundreds of people who ride bikes - actually more.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,052,745 times
suicidal ppl

Old 09-22-2015, 04:42 AM

3,911 posts, read 8,968,010 times
I would never ride a bicycle on the streets of South Florida. Your chances of getting hit by a car are too high.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:28 AM

540 posts, read 583,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I would never ride a bicycle on the streets of South Florida. Your chances of getting hit by a car are too high.
But isn't that sort of a shame? South Florida (and most of the U.S.) can be such an inhospitable place in a way. I also agree with the OP that a lot current Floridian residents are very foolish about the future Florida is heading in...

Old 09-23-2015, 03:59 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,052,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Central FL too.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 AM

4,958 posts, read 6,815,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft Laud Guy View Post
Because there's a much smaller chance of getting hit by a car inside a gym on a stationary bike than there is out on the street...

And anyone who actually rides a bicycle upon a major roadway in South Florida is a suicidal idiot, no matter what their "rights" are, or where the unprotected bicycle lane says they should ride.

This!

There are tons of suicidal nitwit bike riders on A1A in Deerfield, Boca, and Highland Beach.
Most times, instead of using the bike lane, they'll ride down the middle of the road at 20 miles an hour at best.
Complete morons.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,313,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft Laud Guy View Post

O.P.
This is perfect example of the attitude of the average South Floridian. It's all about them and their car. This is why you do not see too many people riding there. This, and the gang kiddies who yell "YO, THATS MY BIKE" and chase after you to try to separate you from your possession. Bicycles, ANY type of empathy or forward thinking is an affront to the mindless mall/car/consume culture that is South Florida.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,313,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
But isn't that sort of a shame? South Florida (and most of the U.S.) can be such an inhospitable place in a way. I also agree with the OP that a lot current Floridian residents are very foolish about the future Florida is heading in...
It is real life Walking Dead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area