Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 PM

42 posts, read 72,387 times

Advertisements

Okay, so as of now all 3 of my kids, 6th, 8th, and 12th are enrolled in a charter school. I enrolled them because of what i was told about public. I am having so many problems with this school that I am considering pulling them out. Is the public school system really that bad? I mean what I am seeing right now in this school is terrible, no communication, very slow pace of work. I understand I will NEVER come close to what I had in NJ, but I hope other towns are better. Ive heard horrible things about Coconut Creek High School, ELy hs, etc. Any inputs are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
Parkland has great public schools schools [url=http://www.greatschools.org/florida/parkland/]Parkland Schools - Parkland Florida School Ratings - Public and Private[/url]
And it is besides Coconut Creek.
I'm sure in NJ they have the good and the bad ones. You just need live in the right neighborhood.

And despite the schools, parent involvement is the key for a successful kid. I'm sure you are doing your side.

Another point, teachers tend to take a slow approach on new students. Don't get frustrated with that. They will get there on their time.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 AM

191 posts, read 317,746 times
Even more than public schools, you really need to do your research on charter schools.

There are many that are run well, but there are also many being run by people who are just trying to turn a profit. They do this by providing sub standard facilities, materials, and underpaid personnel. Our children's education was never meant to be a profit making industry - and sadly that is what it is becoming.

That's not to say public schools are perfect, because they certainly aren't. I think you will find that the quality of a school is dependent on the quality of the students. If you have a school filled with students who come from families who value education, and place great importance on it - you will have a good school. If you have a school filled with students whose parents see it as nothing more than free babysitting - well, you aren't going to have a good school.

There are some great public schools down here, but you really need to be in the right neighborhood. I always tell people with kids to pick a school first, then find a place to live that is within that school's borders. In your case I wouldn't be thrilled to have to send my kid to either Coconut Creek or Ely. They are both on the low end of schools down here.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Those schools are just not good school.
There are plenty of good public schools in Broward, unfortunately for you the two you mentioned are not among them.

Cypress Bay HS
Pompano Beach HS
Monarch HS
Taravella HS
Coral Spring HS
West Broward HS
Stoneman Douglas HS
South Broward HS
Nova HS
Cooper City HS

Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 PM

204 posts, read 291,812 times
What city do you live in? That will help to know what school you would be zoned for.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I know lots of kids that go to FLL High School whose parents could certainly afford to send them to private. There must be something okay about it.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
What city do you live in? That will help to know what school you would be zoned for.
I am renting in north lauderdale, community looked good when i visited in summer, but cant wait to get out of here. Still house searching, looking at parkland and boca for 500k and below

Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Those schools are just not good school.
There are plenty of good public schools in Broward, unfortunately for you the two you mentioned are not among them.

Cypress Bay HS
Pompano Beach HS
Monarch HS
Taravella HS
Coral Spring HS
West Broward HS
Stoneman Douglas HS
South Broward HS
Nova HS
Cooper City HS
Thank you! Taravella is good? My son went there for SAT exams and he said it looked old and run down.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
I just dont know where with these options where I would get the most bang for my buck. Schools are definitely the most important for me.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilddieng View Post
I am renting in north lauderdale, community looked good when i visited in summer, but cant wait to get out of here. Still house searching, looking at parkland and boca for 500k and below
Try Weston too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area