Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:25 PM

147 posts, read 173,658 times

Advertisements

We'll be in the FLL, Boca Raton area this coming weekend and looking for more neighborhoods to explore. I have a list of addresses to cruise by, mostly around East Boca, near Mizner Park. We would like to build, open lot or teardown. Our list of priorities have changed and we want great schools first and foremost, where we don't have to worry about a lottery, 'choice program' thing, or filling out any applications. We would love an area that is for the most part walkable, has sidewalks, nice restaurants and bars nearby, and where the kids can ride their bikes around. Husband will work out of the Ft. Lauderdale office, but will work from home for the most part. Being as close to the beach as possible USED to be tied with great schools, but it is now #3 or #4 on the list For the right neighborhood we're willing to stretch out our search area to about 20min drive to the beach. HOA is fine, a deeded area would be nice.

I have been perusing the forums using the search bar to no avail. Any suggestions? Trying to map out our days, any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 11:20 PM

311 posts, read 451,114 times
Any place east of US1 in Pompano, Deerfield, Lighthouse Point or Boca is good. There are no HOAs in that area as far as I know. Deer Creek in Deerfield might look good to you. I can't advise about the skools but I think all the elementaries are good. Pompano High is good as a magnet. I know a lot of kids that are doing great in Deerfield High but I would never (and did not) send my kid there. If you choose Deerf Creek you might get into Monarch High, which is good.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:23 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerthy View Post
We'll be in the FLL, Boca Raton area this coming weekend and looking for more neighborhoods to explore. I have a list of addresses to cruise by, mostly around East Boca, near Mizner Park. We would like to build, open lot or teardown. Our list of priorities have changed and we want great schools first and foremost, where we don't have to worry about a lottery, 'choice program' thing, or filling out any applications. We would love an area that is for the most part walkable, has sidewalks, nice restaurants and bars nearby, and where the kids can ride their bikes around. Husband will work out of the Ft. Lauderdale office, but will work from home for the most part. Being as close to the beach as possible USED to be tied with great schools, but it is now #3 or #4 on the list For the right neighborhood we're willing to stretch out our search area to about 20min drive to the beach. HOA is fine, a deeded area would be nice.

I have been perusing the forums using the search bar to no avail. Any suggestions? Trying to map out our days, any help is greatly appreciated!
Since the beach is no longer a #1 priority, and you want best schools - then look at Weston or Parkland or Cooper City. Although there are no teardowns or open lots in Weston, unless you want to have a new $1.5M+ house built for you.

IMO it is hard to beat Weston.
Kid-friendly vibe draws house-hunters to Weston | MiamiHerald.com

Old 12-09-2015, 06:50 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
In Fort Lauderdale, I would look at Bay Colony and Harbor Beach, both east of US 1. Rio Vista also is nice (near downtown). One issue you'll have to sort out is schools though. My experience with friends and clients that live east is that once beyond elementary, they choose to go private.

Weston and Parkland, and to a lesser extent Cooper City and west Davie, get mentioned as cities known for highly-rated public schools. Weston and Parkland both get several mentions because there are no particular sections that are run down-- your neighborhood is strictly limited by your budget. But each of the cities I mentioned are out in the western suburbs, more like a 30-35 minute drive to the beach.

If your husband doesn't need to go to his Fort Lauderdale office but maybe once or twice a month, you might even want to look north of BR to Jupiter. It is a city that works hard to maintain its beach character and is careful about controlling its development. It is family- friendly and has highly-rated public schools. There are some sketchy pockets, mostly around the commercial/retail corridor, but you wouldn't be looking there. If your husband needs to be in the office once a week or so, then yes, look further south to BR or FTL. The drive could wear on him.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
In Fort Lauderdale, I would look at Bay Colony and Harbor Beach, both east of US 1. Rio Vista also is nice (near downtown). One issue you'll have to sort out is schools though. My experience with friends and clients that live east is that once beyond elementary, they choose to go private.

Weston and Parkland, and to a lesser extent Cooper City and west Davie, get mentioned as cities known for highly-rated public schools. Weston and Parkland both get several mentions because there are no particular sections that are run down-- your neighborhood is strictly limited by your budget. But each of the cities I mentioned are out in the western suburbs, more like a 30-35 minute drive to the beach.

If your husband doesn't need to go to his Fort Lauderdale office but maybe once or twice a month, you might even want to look north of BR to Jupiter. It is a city that works hard to maintain its beach character and is careful about controlling its development. It is family- friendly and has highly-rated public schools. There are some sketchy pockets, mostly around the commercial/retail corridor, but you wouldn't be looking there. If your husband needs to be in the office once a week or so, then yes, look further south to BR or FTL. The drive could wear on him.

Here you go again... "to a lesser extent....."

As for the drive, I know people who drive from Loxahatchee to Broward 4+ days a week. It all depends on the person, but if it's just a day or so every week, I would consider Jupiter. What about Delray?

Last edited by BNBR; 12-09-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Thank you all so much! Weston and Parkland are on my list. Wrote all of the others down and will check them out. Yes, Jupiter is where we would love to be, but it is just too far from where his office would be.

And thanks for the link, just emailed that to my husband! Any areas we should focus on in Weston, Parkland?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 AM

We're open to Delray. I would love if we could make Jupiter work, this would be easier! Is there a certain area in Delray you have in mind? I've heard good thing and bad, depending on the area.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:25 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
I am not a Delray expert by any stretch. I just know you asked about walkable areas and I have been to Clematis quite a few times. It's nice. Probably worth driving the area or seeing if someone here knows specific neighborhoods.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of budget?

Just re-reading your initial post, it seems Weston, (west) Davie, Cooper City are very practical. The areas are very family friendly, with sidewalks, tons of parks, etc. If you want an empty lot, look in West Davie or Southwest Ranches. They are few and far between but still exist.

You will have a 30 minute drive to the beach areas, but there are loads and loads of great bars and restaurants out west. These areas are popular, with relatively high incomes. So tons and tons of restaurants, stores, shopping, and everything in between to cater to that market. The latest gyms, restaurant concepts, etc... it's all out west! I think it surprises people when they move out this way that the area offers just about everything. 3 large malls, trendy outdoor shopping/restaurant districts, tons of parks (including small water parks), whole foods, trader joes, fresh market, you name it. 3 - 5 minute drive. Solid access to everything south Florida has to offer with excellent access to the highways including both Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports. I honestly think the Weston/Cooper City/Davie area can't be beat - and it's really the only area with good schools in Broward... I wouldn't live anywhere else, and I can afford to live just about anywhere.

You should definitely explore Boca, though, as the vibe there might be more up your alley. Never know.

Last edited by BNBR; 12-09-2015 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM

222 posts, read 382,661 times
The reason you're having trouble is what you are looking for doesn't exist. The only areas of the county with good schools K-12 are (as you've already heard) the western suburbs - Weston and Parkland being the primary ones, both of which are 30 minutes or over to the beaches (don't believe it when you hear Weston to FL beach takes 20 minutes - not when you factor beach traffic on weekends and snowbird season, parking, etc). Lighthouse Point is a lovely little family-friendly community, but the schools aren't good (Norcrest the elementary is meh), east Pompano is also loaded with families, but schools are, again, mediocre to awful, and east Fort Lauderdale gorgeous if budget allows (areas off Bayview Drive) and Bayview Elementary is good, but the middle and high schools are, wait for it, not good. Your middle school options for these eastern neighborhoods are bad schools with ok magnets contained within - Sunrise Middle in Fort Lauderdale, Crystal Lake in Pompano, Deerfield Middle in Deerfield. Pompano High is great, but the only guaranteed way in is through the Crystal Lake foreign language magnet.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerthy View Post
Thank you all so much! Weston and Parkland are on my list. Wrote all of the others down and will check them out. Yes, Jupiter is where we would love to be, but it is just too far from where his office would be.

And thanks for the link, just emailed that to my husband! Any areas we should focus on in Weston, Parkland?
All of Weston is good. I like The Ridges and Savanna. Well, Weston Hills too, if your budget allows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area