Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,796 times

Advertisements

I am from Orlando and just moved with my husband to South Florida. His office is in Hallandale (Gulf Stream Park at Hallandale Beach) and my job is in Sunrise. As in Orlando we used to work in the same building, now we are thinking how we are going to work this out, as the places are in completely opposite directions.

What are the nice neighborhoods between both areas? We are concerned about traffic (I have to be in the office at 8 am and he needs to be in his office by 10 am).

We are 27/28 years old and would like a place that is not in the middle of a lot of traffic, but that is not really far for any of the areas. Is there a place in between that seems good?

Thank you SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:40 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Weston is very nice, next to Sunrise.

But your husband's commute won't be as nice.

Look at Cooper City too.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Are you renting or buying? This would greatly affect the advice. If renting, live as far east as possible. If buying, do the opposite. Traffic is much worse going west to east in the a.m. and vice verca in the afternoon. So this would favor living closer to your husband's job. The worst traffic is on 95. They have made great improvements to 595 recently and the commute out to Sunrise is now a breeze compared to a couple of years ago.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:21 PM

Thank you very much, knowing traffic patterns is really important for us! We are renting, so i guess the best option would be all the way east. Maybe in between 595 and 95, do you think there is any good area there?

Last edited by paulamelocoutinho; 12-26-2015 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-26-2015, 01:28 PM

Thank you for the advice, we are just concerned about heavy traffic, so I dont know about Weston :/
Will check Cooper City!

Old 12-26-2015, 02:16 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I vote for renting just east of where you work--Plantation and Davie come to mind. My reasoning is that you are commuting in prime time rush hour traffic, but if you live east of Sunrise, you're actually going against traffic, so your worst commute would be the part where you're leaving your neighborhood, but once your neighbors turn east, you'll be going west.

Your husband's commute begins just as rush hour traffic is ending. If you focus on Davie or Plantation, he'll at least be near I595 and can use the express lanes. He is not going to be happy driving I95 south, no matter what time, but short of you enduring hell for an entire commute living near Hallandale, I think my suggestion is a good compromise.

Look west of University in both cities if you can afford it as those are where the generally nicer neighborhoods are located.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:46 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I vote for renting just east of where you work--Plantation and Davie come to mind. My reasoning is that you are commuting in prime time rush hour traffic, but if you live east of Sunrise, you're actually going against traffic, so your worst commute would be the part where you're leaving your neighborhood, but once your neighbors turn east, you'll be going west.

Your husband's commute begins just as rush hour traffic is ending. If you focus on Davie or Plantation, he'll at least be near I595 and can use the express lanes. He is not going to be happy driving I95 south, no matter what time, but short of you enduring hell for an entire commute living near Hallandale, I think my suggestion is a good compromise.

Look west of University in both cities if you can afford it as those are where the generally nicer neighborhoods are located.
He can't use the express lanes on 595 from Davie/Plantation. But that's irrelevant. I think Davie/Plantation is the best option, also. Not far from the turnpike or 595. His drive to Hallandale at 10AM won't be bad, and going west to Sunrise won't be bad, either.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamelocoutinho View Post
Thank you for the advice, we are just concerned about heavy traffic, so I dont know about Weston :/
Will check Cooper City!
The traffic on I-595 would be your least concern

Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post

Coming from Davie or Plantation it is already too late to enter the Express lanes.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:45 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamelocoutinho View Post
Will check Cooper City!

Cooper City to Sunrise is a breeze. Cooper City to Hallandale in the morning can be a nightmare. It's slow streets like Sheridan. Possibly a little faster down Griffin... not really sure. But you won't have a highway to get you to Hallandale and a lot of traffic is moving East in the morning. When I would take my waverunner from Cooper City to Hollywood in the morning, it could take WAY longer than it should... 30+ minutes. I would think 40 - 50 minutes to Hallandale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area