Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,846,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec-d View Post
Also, what is the trend on the housing market down there?

The market in LA has run up fast from 2012. Prices seem to be slowing now, but there's still bidding wars on anything in a remotely desirable location -- feels a bit bubbly. Hopefully not that bad yet in South FL?
. Oh it is. All over FL. Feels very bubbly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 04:52 AM

7 posts, read 9,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
. All over FL. Feels very bubbly.
Grrrr....It's a bummer to be 3 years late to the party. All the fun cities shot right back up to peak prices already. Apparently there's still deals to be had in the rust belt tho! (smh)
Looks like Zillow is actually predicting a -1.8% correction for Fort Lauderdale in 2016.

Last edited by ec-d; 01-26-2016 at 05:21 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 AM

3,184 posts, read 3,120,771 times
Yes, definitely rent for a year before buying. You sound like a savvy investor but it is still not worth the pain of moving down, buying quickly and then being underwater due to a correction. And to make it worse, wanting to move because in the end, you don't really like the area.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 AM

7 posts, read 9,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
being underwater due to a correction.
I could probably buy a house outright in FL, so there's zero risk of me being underwater. That's why I say the economics are so favorable to me buying vs renting. But obviously if home values are falling, then there's no rush at all -- might as well wait a year (rent) and see what the market is going to do.

Are there any real estate agents (or extra knowledgeable homeowners) in this thread? Is this expected to just be a mini price correction in '16 or are home prices so far out of whack that they'll likely be falling for a few years?

Old 01-26-2016, 07:37 AM

3,184 posts, read 3,120,771 times
You're correct in that you wouldn't be underwater because you wouldn't have a mortgage but you could still incur a loss -- you buy a home for half a mill, for example, decide you don't like the area & decide to sell and because of market values find it's now worth $400k (for example). So I would take a year to rent, IMO.

As for real estate values, no one has that clear crystal ball. I'll give you my recent experience--I own a home that I rent. In October, prices seemed to be rising rather quickly and all signs pointed to my increasing the rent by about 20%. My tenant's lease is up at the end of this month and my realtor's comps show some softening of the market. Looks like I'll be seeking a 10% increase. I don't know if this helps or not.

IMHO, if you really want to put the odds in your favor, go beachfront. Values will still fluctuate but ocean view is always desirable.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 915 times
I too am looking to relocate to the area, but not for another 6 months which is why I am here.
it looks like you have done all the homework you can do on your own. I would personally advise you talk to a realtor because they are suppose to know the ends and out of the area, also I have been reading the newspaper online its been a little helpful to kind of be in southern Florida...I hope this helps a bit

Old 01-27-2016, 03:25 PM

17,028 posts, read 21,715,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec-d View Post
Also, what is the trend on the housing market down there?

The market in LA has run up fast from 2012. Prices seem to be slowing now, but there's still bidding wars on anything in a remotely desirable location -- feels a bit bubbly. Hopefully not that bad yet in South FL?
Good neighborhoods are bubble central right now.....

2439 Del Lago Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
This one is 7.3mm, yet it sold for 5.3 back in March. House is a teardown, it doesn't even have a pool and they have done nothing to it since March.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 PM

874 posts, read 893,376 times
Default Maybe Cutler Bay?

Based on what you've written, it sounds like you might want to consider Cutler Bay.

Small, single family homes, nice quality of original construction, but frequently in need of updating.

There's a cash-only foreclosure in need of a new roof and other work on the market for $240K, and another with a pool at $300K needing just updating.

The reason I think of this area for you is that there's the local Black Point Marina, a major hub for sports fishing in Miami-Dade county. Take a boat out of there, and you'll be quickly in the Florida keys (or just drive about a half hour South).

You'll also be within about 45 minutes from all the bars, restaurants, clubs etc available in Miami.

Generally the rule of thumb is that the closer you get to Miami, the more expensive real estate becomes.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:49 PM

366 posts, read 514,298 times
rent money is dead money... if you plan on staying more than a few years id rent for a year to see of you liked it then buy

Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 PM

19 posts, read 22,685 times
I came across a business journal that mentions the boost to south Fl economy begining 2016
the Cruise ship tunnel project in miami and a theme park resort project also. you have to google it to see the number of jobs coming, which in turn may lead to increases in home and rental prices. I'm happy to say I did'nt come to Fl looking for a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area