Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:29 PM

32 posts, read 60,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Nice neighborhood. Very convenient. Go during the day to see if the planes bother you. My sons played lacrosse at Bamford and it made me crazy but some people don't mind.
i think i will have to check out the noise level myself, sounds like it's an issue for many people. It would suck to rent there and then get bothered by the noise for a year. Good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla305 View Post
wouldn't you have the same noise problem further west which is still in the flight path?
No. I'm exactly further west and while we have SOME noise from airplanes, it's nowhere near the same as Forest Ridge.

I'll tell you why

For one, planes are higher. When you are talking an extra 5 miles, this close to the airport, it's drastic. So the airplane noise, even if over top, is much less. Two, many of the planes take a closer entrance into the landing pattern, and actually come from the north and start their turn close to Hiatus. So I can sit in my backyard and watch planes turning before ever getting to my location (right around I75).

I do get some airplane noise, but it's fairly sporadic and nowhere near as drastic as the Pine Island Ridge area. That was a big deal for us, and hanging out at my house it becomes clear that it's a non-issue in comparison.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
No. I'm exactly further west and while we have SOME noise from airplanes, it's nowhere near the same as Forest Ridge.

I'll tell you why

For one, planes are higher. When you are talking an extra 5 miles, this close to the airport, it's drastic. So the airplane noise, even if over top, is much less. Two, many of the planes take a closer entrance into the landing pattern, and actually come from the north and start their turn close to Hiatus. So I can sit in my backyard and watch planes turning before ever getting to my location (right around I75).

I do get some airplane noise, but it's fairly sporadic and nowhere near as drastic as the Pine Island Ridge area. That was a big deal for us, and hanging out at my house it becomes clear that it's a non-issue in comparison.
when we're talking about airplane noise, are we talking about hearing it only when outside or also inside with doors and windows closed?

Old 01-19-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
when we're talking about airplane noise, are we talking about hearing it only when outside or also inside with doors and windows closed?
I can almost never hear it inside at my house. Or rarely a tiny bit would be more accurate. I definitely could hear it inside at houses near Forest Ridge. I remember looking at a house in Long Lake Ranches (east) and mentioning the airplane noise outside and how bad it was. Then we were inside discussing the house and I pointed out that you could hear them inside, too. And this house had impact glass.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Further West - Mostly only when you are Outside.

And it is not a roar. Jets are on low power since the planes are just gliding down for a landing at this point.

In Forest Ridge area - don't know, have never been inside a house there.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I can almost never hear it inside at my house. Or rarely a tiny bit would be more accurate. I definitely could hear it inside at houses near Forest Ridge. I remember looking at a house in Long Lake Ranches (east) and mentioning the airplane noise outside and how bad it was. Then we were inside discussing the house and I pointed out that you could hear them inside, too. And this house had impact glass.
that is very good to know, if it's that bad i will have to look elsewhere.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
that is very good to know, if it's that bad i will have to look elsewhere.
As I wrote on another comment, I have a friend who thought the noise was the absolute end of the world when he was renting a house in that area. He ended up buying that house, so obviously it was not THAT bad. And this is an area with fairly nice houses. It's not that noticeable inside and you should definitely go look and see for yourself.

There are only so many areas like this, so you take the good with the bad. You might consider the western parts of Cooper City like Rock Creek and Embassy Lakes. Very little airplane noise there, but also a great place to live. You will add about 15 minutes to your drive (assuming you are taking 595 east). Otherwise maybe Jacaranda in Plantation? I just don't know how great the schools are.

As another poster said, you are renting, so maybe don't let that deter you from the area you wanted to be. A lot of people live in very nice houses over there, even with the airplane noise. The little bit of noise may not bother you as much as adding a lot of time to your commute to avoid it

Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I doubt it was anything like Shea stadium when LGA planes were taking off
No it's not but I could never live with the planes overhead. I have spent a lot of time at Bamford Park in Davie which is very close to Forest Ridge. OP needs to spend some time in the area to see if it bothers him. The area is very nice and clearly it does not bother everyone or those neighborhoods would be undesirable.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 AM

does anybody know the exact flight path of most planes flying in/out of FLL?
if i looked just north of 595, would i have the same problem?

Old 01-20-2016, 06:55 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
does anybody know the exact flight path of most planes flying in/out of FLL?
if i looked just north of 595, would i have the same problem?
Depending on where just North of 595, you could get under the take off pattern... A lot of planes make a sharp turn to the North after they take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area