Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:34 PM

351 posts, read 460,645 times

Advertisements

Hi Infante15,

I also agree that you need to get a job before moving to SoFL - there is a lot of competition here and you may spend months before you find the right one.

I moved from Virginia to Weston 5 years ago with two teenagers and a new born. My wife and I love it here and as BNBR said, I cannot image myself living somewhere else. The main reason we chose Weston was because how safe the area is and how great the schools are. The elementary schools here are full of programs and actually Weston is the only city in Broward county where all of its elementary schools participate in the Dual Language program (see link below.)

I have a good friend of mine who is a carpenter and he always tells me that sometimes he has more work than he can handle, but he's an independent contractor - SoFL is a hot real estate market and a carpenter are always needed for renovations, improvements, etc.

ESOL Department - Dual Languages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 PM

43 posts, read 37,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
Hi Infante15,

I also agree that you need to get a job before moving to SoFL - there is a lot of competition here and you may spend months before you find the right one.

I moved from Virginia to Weston 5 years ago with two teenagers and a new born. My wife and I love it here and as BNBR said, I cannot image myself living somewhere else. The main reason we chose Weston was because how safe the area is and how great the schools are. The elementary schools here are full of programs and actually Weston is the only city in Broward county where all of its elementary schools participate in the Dual Language program (see link below.)

I have a good friend of mine who is a carpenter and he always tells me that sometimes he has more work than he can handle, but he's an independent contractor - SoFL is a hot real estate market and a carpenter are always needed for renovations, improvements, etc.

ESOL Department - Dual Languages
Thanks for this Alex. Your youngest is just now starting elementary right? How are you like it so far and which school is your youngest in?

Would it be possible to get in contact with your carpenter friend so my husband can ask him some questions about the job market and what kind of projects he's doing? Let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:57 PM

351 posts, read 460,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infante15 View Post
Thanks for this Alex. Your youngest is just now starting elementary right? How are you like it so far and which school is your youngest in?

Would it be possible to get in contact with your carpenter friend so my husband can ask him some questions about the job market and what kind of projects he's doing? Let me know. Thanks.
My youngest will go to Indian Trace Elementary - it's an A+ school and according to all the parents I have talked to in my neighborhood, it's an excellent school with a new principal and stuff that really do care about their kids. Indian Trace is also the smallest elementary school in Weston, which to me is a plus.

I'll send you a PM with the carpenter's info.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:31 PM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Young family with 3 kids (6yr, 4yr, 10mo ) considering moving from NJ to Weston or Boca. I hear schools are great and these areas are great for raising a family. Any advice from families who made a similar
Move would be so helpful. I'm so nervous moving my family down south. All we've ever known is NY and moved to NJ 6 years ago when our son was born. I work from home 3-4 days a week and my company has offices in Miami on biscayne and Sunrise. My husband is a union carpenter With the chance to transfer to the Fort Lauderdale locations with jobs being in Miami and Fort Lauderdale area. I am so tired of the cold winters and high prices here in the NE. I am ready to move but my husband is concerned about the job market in Fl. Even though he's have to take a paycut in Fl, He's been out of work here for a while so I'm trying to convince him that although he makes more here what good is it if he's constantly out of work. How are the unions there? Will he have a better chance of having consistent work out there?? Please HELP!!
Define "Carpenter"

If he is a rough in carpenter, he will make $10 an hour and will be working with immigrant day labor types.

If he is an interior finish carpenter he could make $20-25 an hour and will be working with a slightly better class of worker.

The unions are virtually non existent for the trades (cops, teachers, firefighters sure). Construction is year round, most of the time you will stay busy all year. Obviously new home construction died back in 2008+ but it is back in full swing now.

Both Weston and Boca Raton are going to be expensive (either renting or buying). Most carpenters will struggle living there.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Define "Carpenter"

If he is a rough in carpenter, he will make $10 an hour and will be working with immigrant day labor types.

If he is an interior finish carpenter he could make $20-25 an hour and will be working with a slightly better class of worker.

The unions are virtually non existent for the trades (cops, teachers, firefighters sure). Construction is year round, most of the time you will stay busy all year. Obviously new home construction died back in 2008+ but it is back in full swing now.

Both Weston and Boca Raton are going to be expensive (either renting or buying). Most carpenters will struggle living there.
Thanks for this info. He is an interior finish carpenter. Where would you recommend living with good schools? And where do you suggest he apply for a job? Through a private contruction company?? do you know names of companies where he can apply??

Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this info. He is an interior finish carpenter. Where would you recommend living with good schools? And where do you suggest he apply for a job? Through a private contruction company?? do you know names of companies where he can apply??
Getting a full time gig from a single company can be hard to find. Most contractors like to hire subs and use them whenever they need them vs. paying the weekly salary.

I don't know anyone specifically to point him to.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,985 times
Weston is one of the nations top rated cities. It ranks in the top 10 of safest cities. It's beautiful and extremely family friendly with great schools. As for unionization, Florida is not a strong Union state like northern states whatsoever. I have to be blunt about this, formerly being employed in a profession that was unionized.

There are several new construction projects in Broward and Dade County. These are strong places to possibly locate a great employer or obtain a contract performing carpentry.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desireegrantsouthFLA View Post

There are several new construction projects in Broward and Dade County. These are strong places to possibly locate a great employer or obtain a contract performing carpentry.
Not "strong places" for a finish carpenter

Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 AM

92 posts, read 111,597 times
How much an hour,health ins coverage,etc. do's a union new jersey carpenter make?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obuma View Post
How much an hour,health ins coverage,etc. do's a union new jersey carpenter make?
As a 3rd year apprentice carpenter after all contributions he brings home about $28/hr. But the market hasn't been great. He's been out of work frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area