Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This!

Do not move here without a job.
This.

You also will not get an apartment without employment.

$900 is low and you might find yourself in a bad neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,349 times
Thank you all for your input.

Quote:
Memories of the weather as an 8-9 year old notwithstanding, most northerners wilt in their first summer here.
At the risk of sounding cliche -- I'm not like most northerners. You'll just have to trust me on this one without knowing me.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I would recommend you apply your savings to attending college where you live now. It'll be more work, but it will create better opportunities for you in the future. In my organization, even admin. assistant positions now require bachelors' degrees.
I appreciate the advice, however I'd rather go to a college in FL if this is going to be the route I take.

Quote:
900 for rent?? where?
The apartments I've been keeping an eye on are found on 121 Apartment Rentals Found Nearby | Apartments.com . According to this site, there are many options $900 and under. I apologize if I wasn't clear in stating that the apartment, not the utilities or as a whole, would need to be under $900 a month. I probably could've elaborated in that I'd be fine with a studio as well. Otherwise I'd just look for listings that want a roommate when I find a job.

I also apologize as it sounded like I was planning on moving without a job. I'll clear the air here and clarify that my first step in moving to FL is finding a job first. Though I mentioned Administration, I'm not limiting myself to it. I have experience in the service industry as well, and would be comfortable applying to those jobs. I've worked two jobs in the past, and have no problem doing so if that's what I need to do to live in FL. I put more emphasis on location as I don't mind getting up early to get to where I need to go. Winters here can get terrible, and I sometimes have to leave 2 hours early (for what would normally be a 30min drive under decent circumstances) to get to work.

I do plan on taking a week long trip once this year, and again in the middle of 2017 to scope out what the areas are like for the apartment complexes shown in the link. Some areas, when you look at statistics, can be bad, yes. I'm good at not attracting unwanted attention, and have lived in less than desirable areas.

Quote:
Also, are you bi-lingual? I have a degree and still didn't qualify for many decent paying admin jobs when I first moved down here because I only spoke English.
I "speak" 3 languages, other than English, conversationally with different pen pals online. I wouldn't say fluently as it's easier for me to understand/write/read than speak it myself, and I end up asking what something means on occasion. Unfortunately, Spanish is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
A lot of this doesn't apply to me. I'm aware how ignorant my post may have sounded which might have been a reason you felt the need to post that, but I wanted to keep my initial post shorter as it already seemed to be longer than a lot of relocation posts. I will admit that the main reason I need to move is climate.

Honestly, I do kind of regret creating the thread as I feel I've read a lot about FL already, and I feel like I already know what I need to do to make the move happen. I guess I just wanted some kind of confirmation, being the kind of person I am. I haven't moved far away from family, so this would be my first giant step in living, and all these past years I've "lived" an extremely sheltered life.

Thanks again for the tips!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Esperaunce,

You will be fine. Reading these relocating threads, one after the other, so many here would have you believe there are no jobs and it's impossible to afford to live here. Trying to move with anything less than $12 million in the bank and no job is insanity. It's sooooooo difficult. The reality is about the opposite. While it is expensive, there are jobs out there and opportunities. We have millions and millions of people here. South Florida is larger than nearly half the countries in the world. Nobody is dying in the gutters.

If you have the will to do it, you'll manage just fine, like millions of others. You seem to have a good game plan and understanding of what you need to do, go for it. You mentioned that you are open to the service industry, this is a very easy way to get your feet wet and make some decent money. Lots of opportunity there.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperaunce View Post

The apartments I've been keeping an eye on are found on 121 Apartment Rentals Found Nearby | Apartments.com . According to this site, there are many options $900 and under. I apologize if I wasn't clear in stating that the apartment, not the utilities or as a whole, would need to be under $900 a month. I probably could've elaborated in that I'd be fine with a studio as well. Otherwise I'd just look for listings that want a roommate when I find a job.

Thanks again for the tips!
I think you may want to www.VRBO.com while you are looking for an apartment.

Going through the listings you shared, I noticed many of the apartments came up "unavailable" when I clicked on them and many in bad locations.

Also, be mindful of your commute.

A long commute in South Florida can diminish your quality of life. Ten miles can be a 40 minute commute.

I still think find the job first then move down and find the apartment.

Can you waitress? It is a great fallback while you are looking and will provide you with a built in social group.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:41 PM

623 posts, read 965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
If your whole life revolves around your bi-sexual identity, then you would feel more comfortable looking in Wilton Manors, Oakland Park and Ft Lauderdale. If you are more average but just happen to be bi, then any neighborhood that suits you will be fine.

$900 is not much and you will most likely need a roommate. I agree with Browardnole, it makes sense to get as much education under your belt before you move. Contact your relatives in Coral Springs. Very often it is connections that get the job, not just a resume.

Memories of the weather as an 8-9 year old notwithstanding, most northerners wilt in their first summer here.
most northerners wilt in their first summer here. If that's true why is everybody down here from New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area