Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
Insurance is killing us. We'll be leaving soon, too, and that's one of the main reasons. We pay around $8000 for homeowners and windstorm insurance for our home east of US 1 and another $1000 for flood. We have two rental properties, also east of US 1. Hazard, windstorm and flood coverage is about $3800 for each property. I can remember when we first bought those rentals in 1980 -- we paid under $500 a year for insurance. I think we paid around $650 for our homeowners policy in 1992. It doubled in 2006 after Wilma and has skyrocketed since. We can't afford to stay in hurricane territory anymore.
That's wild!! Have you considered just moving west? I carry flood but it's totally optional further west. They just redid the flood maps a couple years ago and changed the requirements to lower peoples insurance. My flood is about $400/year. Even my eastern most property runs just $1200/year for insurance. It's a block from navigable water and about 1 mile west of US1 (east of 95). Have you shopped agents? You may want to just look for a newer house a little further west. Anything built after, I think, 2002, has much cheaper insurance due to building code changes.

Between my 5 properties, I don't pay $9,000/year. Your insurance is nuts, I'd be pretty unhappy, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 07:15 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
I know it would be cheaper out west but we're ready to retire and want to leave this area altogether. We're looking at northeast Florida where hurricanes are pretty scarce and insurance is much cheaper.

The only company that would write a windstorm policy for our properties was Citizens up until last year. Then we got an offer from a company that was trying to take over Citizens policies but their premium was even higher. Our homeowners is through USAA (we have auto insurance with them, too, so we supposedly have a discounted rate). Our home was built in '64 but it's probably more solid than any of the cookie-cutter homes built down here in the past 20 years. Even so, we pay a much higher rate just because of its age.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I know it would be cheaper out west but we're ready to retire and want to leave this area altogether. We're looking at northeast Florida where hurricanes are pretty scarce and insurance is much cheaper.

The only company that would write a windstorm policy for our properties was Citizens up until last year. Then we got an offer from a company that was trying to take over Citizens policies but their premium was even higher. Our homeowners is through USAA (we have auto insurance with them, too, so we supposedly have a discounted rate). Our home was built in '64 but it's probably more solid than any of the cookie-cutter homes built down here in the past 20 years. Even so, we pay a much higher rate just because of its age.
I have a house from 79' and the insurance is around $3300 I believe. And it's only that much until I get around to replacing the front door and get full mitigation (has impact windows and doors). It's definitely cheaper further west.

If you are retiring, I don't blame you for jumping ship to a different area of Florida.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:04 PM

44 posts, read 48,107 times
Quote:
Insurance is killing us. We'll be leaving soon, too, and that's one of the main reasons. We pay around $8000 for homeowners and windstorm insurance for our home east of US 1 and another $1000 for flood. We have two rental properties, also east of US 1. Hazard, windstorm and flood coverage is about $3800 for each property. I can remember when we first bought those rentals in 1980 -- we paid under $500 a year for insurance. I think we paid around $650 for our homeowners policy in 1992. It doubled in 2006 after Wilma and has skyrocketed since. We can't afford to stay in hurricane territory anymore.
I don't blame you for wanting to leave. Look at New Smyrna Beach and northward to Fernandina Beach. You will find plenty of wide open spaces, less traffic, friendlier people, more value for your hard earned dollar plus less stress. Your health is your wealth and the less stress you have, the odds are higher your life will improve on all levels.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
"Glad I left" and "impossible for honest people" -- That is obnoxious and just looking for reactions. Then play holier than thou when you get differing comments. Riiiiiight.
With respect I say grow up. We are all adults (I hope) and we have a right to comment so long as forum rules are not violated. And the "impossible for honest people" comment is very true, and unlike you BNPR I'm a Floridian so I have seen it all, the good and the bad, and the last few years, there seems to be more bad than good and yes it's not easy to fond honest people.

Quote:
I get why some want to leave as well, but honest people can afford insurance.... believe it or not. Or is anyone who can afford a house in South Florida inherently a con-artist?
Insurance continues to increase so it is understandable why some folks feel rates are too high.

Quote:
As for my position right now. Sure, I am doing very well. Regardless of how you think I feel about it, I am quite humble and grateful to be where I am. But I'm also in this position because I made the choice to be here, it doesn't happen by accident. If you aren't where you want to be, (maybe you are) - then make the choice to be somewhere else. Don't put Alex and I down because of our efforts.
I'm not putting you "down" as you say. Grow up and stop being so sensitive. Like I said, you continue to brag with comments like "Sure, I am doing very well" and in 10 or 20 years, you might be singing a different tune. Compassion and empathy goes a long way in life. Maybe you should learn a little more about these two powerful words.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carson Lives View Post
With respect I say grow up. We are all adults (I hope) and we have a right to comment so long as forum rules are not violated. And the "impossible for honest people" comment is very true, and unlike you BNPR I'm a Floridian so I have seen it all, the good and the bad, and the last few years, there seems to be more bad than good and yes it's not easy to fond honest people.

Insurance continues to increase so it is understandable why some folks feel rates are too high.

I'm not putting you "down" as you say. Grow up and stop being so sensitive. Like I said, you continue to brag with comments like "Sure, I am doing very well" and in 10 or 20 years, you might be singing a different tune. Compassion and empathy goes a long way in life. Maybe you should learn a little more about these two powerful words.

I'm not a Floridian now? You guys really just make stuff up as you go along, don't you? Reading your comment, it's pretty much completely based on a made up fantasy version of me that you seem to have in your head. It's weird.

Who says I have no compassion and empathy? You don't know much about me. And the way you describe me above is pretty funny.

I find it obnoxious to say that honest people can't live in South Florida. That's insulting to nearly 7 million people who live here.

You keep saying "10 to 20 years from now." And that tells a lot about your thought process. Very defeatist. It's part of a more broad attitude that the boogeyman is out to get you. Big bad insurance companies screwing you. You are the type of person who doesn't accept responsibility and tries to deflect your problems on everyone else. Then you talk about empathy and compassion, it's your crutch and how you try and justify it all.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 PM

351 posts, read 460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carson Lives View Post
I don't see any "hating". He's calling a spade a spade. South Florida is an increasing difficult place to live unless you are wealthy or a trust fund kid. As a Floridian I understand why some folks want to leave the area so I am not offended. What does irk me is the folks who like to attack and spread hate. I see this in BNPR and Alex. Both of whom may be on top of life today, then in 10 years could be singing a different tune.
So, you also agree that not a single honest person can afford to live in South Florida (right?) I'm not attacking or spreading hate, I'm just defending myself because I consider myself an honest person and I live in South Florida

I may not be doing as well as BNPR, but I'm hanging in there (one day I want to be like him ) and have no plans to move anywhere like over a million of my Cuban countrymen, who have made South Florida their home after leaving behind all they had in the island and believe or not, we all have survived here by doing one thing: working hard.

You're just a bunch of spoiled and failed whining Americans who are always complaining for everything. Go and vote for Bernie Castro Sanders that he may give you a bag full of goodies.

10 years from now I'll be fine. 20 years ago I was in Cuba having water and sugar as a breakfast, brushing my teeth with salt and using baking soda as deodorant. 10 years ago I went to college in Richmond, VA because I knew that getting an education was the key to success in this country. Today I have a family to fight for. Believe me, I'm a fighter and I have seen a lot in my life, I'll never get defeated like you.

Last edited by AlexRodriguez; 05-27-2016 at 10:15 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 10:09 PM

351 posts, read 460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Honest guy... or greasy real estate agent with a reason for calling what he wants to sell "the best place to live and raise a family in the U.S."??? An HONEST guy might say something like "In my experience, this is a great place..." An HONEST guy would admit to never having lived and raised a family in every place in the U.S. and that he was blowing smoke up buttocks with his claim.

I also appreciate the personal attack of "hater." Does that come from your natural hot temperament or is it a skill you learned in the area? Don't think that I can't pummel your attempts to claim superiority through negative innuendo into the ground, like the dead cigar stub made from inferior tobacco that it is.

As for section 8, I considered putting my rental house in that program, but decided against it. Thanks for thinking of me though.
Wow, calling everyone who lives in South Florida dishonest is not hate?

I have not lived in every place in the U.S. but as the son of a ex-political-prisoner in Cuba I can guarantee you that I have lived in more places in my live than your entire generation. I've lived in Texas, in New Mexico, New Jersey, Virginia and now in Florida. At least here I find people that are willing to help you and want you to succeed - I cannot say that same from the ignorant rednecks north of lake Okeechobee.

Dude, I really don't have time for another ignorant defeated whiner slacker who is too lazy to fight. All I can say is that with you out of here we're stronger.

in reference to the "greasy real estate agent" comment, all I can tell you is that I'm a member of CAARE. I do real estate as a part-time to help honest people afford their homes here in South Florida. You can check this link, I'm the number one there "Alejandro Rodriguez"

Florida Rebates for Home Buyers | CAARE - Consumer Advocates in American Real Estate

Good luck clown!

Old 05-28-2016, 12:45 AM

Both of you are part of the reason a lot of South Florida has the reputation it has today, and neither of you are worth my time anymore. Good luck Harry.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
While the bickering continues those of us considering Fla.as a possible location gained valuable info on storm insurance. What parts of the state are cheaper for that sort of thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area