U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 11,454 times

Advertisements

Hello, im just moving with my husband and mi little daughter from memphis to miramar, fl. Any advice over the city? and need good day care also. Can you help me selecting the best?
Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,817,201 times
The number one rule is to stay west of I-75. It doesn't really get that bad until you are east of University Dr., but it's not that desirable to live in the areas east of 75, as the schools aren't as good and you have more criminals driving in from Dade County to the south. Home invasions are not uncommon east of 75 until you get north of Pembroke Rd. The west half is fairly family friendly, clean looking in a bland and supremely cookie cutter sort of way, safer than average, and has decent schools by FL standards. However, the schools would probably be a little bet to the north in the Pembroke Pines area, especially in the "Chapel Trail" area where they are opening a promising new high school and the elementary and middle schools are all top rated. The area (both Pembroke Pines and Miramar) is also very diverse, with almost any ethnic group represented, in fact depending on where you are coming from it can be a culture shock. It tends to be Hispanic dominated but no group really dominates. There has also been a large Asian population moving into this area, rare for South FL. Although it's very mixed, the income levels are quite high, so don't worry about other "problems".

I would say the single two worst things about that area would be the traffic congestion on Pines Blvd. It's not awful but it's very busy, and the other worst thing about that area would be it's cookie cutter type appearance. Some developments did nice things with the landscaping/waterscaping, but some of the others are really brash and cookie cutter looking. The further north, the better, in fact once you get far enough north it even has a little bit of a rural look to it thanks to neighboring Southwest Ranches which is very pleasant.

I also recommend the Cooper City area. I find it less bland than some of the other communities in pockets, and also less gated communities and more sense of community (as in neighbors know each other, not as many developments with one way in/out, etc). If I were going to live the gated-community lifestyle Weston is better than the Pines or Miramar for that, as it's not congested and has less crime. Actually I live in Weston in the "old" part and I like it very much. Recommend this area above almost anywhere in S. Florida.

So basically, look at these areas on a map, decide which geographical location works best for you, do some research into the schools (I will give you some links if you need any), and most importantly, decide if you can afford the area, and do NOT buy an overpriced home right now, plan on renting and sitting for a little while. Also, visit a few times, decide if this area is right for you, as South Florida polarizes many people, and is a very love it or hate it kind of place.

Can't help you on day care.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-15-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 11,454 times
Thanks, i already rent a house in the west oh i75 thanks good. It was the area that better liked us.
If anyone knows about a good day care i really appreciate the information. Thanks again

Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 AM

2,517 posts, read 10,670,961 times
I work for Miramar and know this city like the back of my hand. Tell me where specifically in the city you are looking at and I can tell you everything you need to know. An excellent day care is located in neighboring Pembroke Pines...around 184 ave... Learning Centers at La Petite (http://www.lapetite.com/public/ - broken link)

Old 02-17-2008, 03:21 PM

60 posts, read 275,745 times
Stay West of I-75 in Miramar, no offense to Miramar, but why don't you look into Weston. It's only a couple miles North of Miramar on I-75, but the quality of life and the area is better in every which way. Get down here and got to both areas and you'll see what I mean. I think the only person that would disagree with me is the mayor of Miramar.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,670,961 times
GTMV is right...even areas west of I-75 in Miramar are seeing a rise in crime in the form of armed robberies, theft, vandalism. Don't believe me ? Hang out in that area after school gets out and see the quality of people that walk out of the school bus. It almost seems as if though the eastside is spreading to the West. I would recommend Pembroke Pines or Weston as well.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:28 PM

60 posts, read 275,745 times
Oops ... by reading your most recent post you are apparently renting already in West Miramar. It's not bad, but check out the different areas around town before you sign your next lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area