Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 PM

351 posts, read 460,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongranger View Post
Puerto Ricans or new your Ricans.
lmao

New York Ricans

Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
I see. So that's how it is. Well! Guess you best pack it up to Mayberry then.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:30 PM

389 posts, read 662,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBad View Post
All Puerto Ricans are United States citizens already.

Excellent post. One of our good friends is from Puerto Rico, and it angers her that so many people believe she's from a foreign country.

As for the original post, it simply illustrates a point I've made forever about South Florida: It's not for everybody. I've got no problem with that. If you believe you will be happier in, say, Keokuk, Iowa, good for you and best of luck. But the title -- Floridians are nasty, rude and arrogant (I've fixed the punctuation) -- paints almost 20 million people with some awfully broad brushstrokes.

Last edited by Papillons2; 07-17-2016 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Fixing grammar

Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,670,979 times

Old 07-23-2016, 11:14 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Ah, I love the smell of burning trolls in the morning!

Time to bring out der Valkyries. (cue the gunship)

As the U.S. expanded, people in states that did not exist at the time the Constitution was written were "granted" citizenship. You know... things like the Louisiana Purchase and the purchase of Alaska from the Russians?

As for lack of language skills... nah, not going to go there. Too easy a target to shoot at a low hanging fruit. I do like the idea of Puerto Ricans being Spanish half the time though. I imagine some sort of Incredible Hulk or Wolfman transformation.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:12 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ah, I love the smell of burning trolls in the morning!

Time to bring out der Valkyries. (cue the gunship)

As the U.S. expanded, people in states that did not exist at the time the Constitution was written were "granted" citizenship. You know... things like the Louisiana Purchase and the purchase of Alaska from the Russians?

As for lack of language skills... nah, not going to go there. Too easy a target to shoot at a low hanging fruit. I do like the idea of Puerto Ricans being Spanish half the time though. I imagine some sort of Incredible Hulk or Wolfman transformation.
LOL to this whole post!...

Quote:
I imagine some sort of Incredible Hulk or Wolfman transformation.
No, I think it's more like they go in a phone booth and change, like Clark Kent into Superman...

As for the OP, Puerto Ricans have been American citizens for 100 years now, so I'd say it's time to get over it. Many Puerto Ricans have been US citizens since before you were even born.

Clearly this is a troll thread, so there's no reason to actually argue any of the points. But I will note that the OP's English sounds very much like it is written by someone for whom English is a second language - which makes the points made rather ironic.

I moved to FL in the same year that you did, and while I have many issues with Florida's culture and local govt. organizations, I have never had the terrible impression of the people at large that you do. I have met a ton of very nice people. SFL's culture is very superficial and self-centered (more so than other parts of the state), but even so, it seems very evident to me that anyone with such a broad view of millions of people as ALL having a problem generally stems from posters who themselves have serious personality flaws. If you are a friendly person, you will easily attract other friendly people. Then of course when I read the content of the thread, the blatant racism and cultural ignorance didn't exactly come as a surprise...

Maybe you would be happier if Trump proposed to build a wall to block Puerto Ricans, too?

Never in my life have I seen a place where "a mixture [of people] from everywhere makes the environment hostile for everyone"... and I have lived in a lot of very diverse places. It has always seemed to me to be the other way around - that the more diverse a place is, the more accepting it tends to be of everyone. Whereas with places that are almost completely homogeneous, anyone who is not a clone of everybody else sticks out like a sore thumb and is made to feel unwelcome.

Incidentally, to clear up what seems to be confusion on your part: the US does not have an official language, unlike most nations. There is no requirement to learn English, and not adopting English as one's primary language is not actually hostile to US culture - we have always been a nation of many languages. I have not met long-term residents or citizens in Florida or anywhere else I've lived who truly don't know English, however. Even in Miami, which is essentially New Cuba in many neighborhoods, people still do learn English. However, if the majority of people around you know the language you were born with and have used most of your life, there is a tendency to just use that because it is so much easier to do. All the more so if you're just out with a close friend or family member, enjoying a relaxing day off. Languages are hard, and English is one of the hardest - as your own posts so clearly demonstrate. People don't speak with their mother when out at a restaurant in the language that is easiest for both of them, to offend you. If they speak to you in Spanish, it might be because they mistakenly think you look like you are Latino/a, not because they think you should have learned it. As for following the rules, that is a cultural thing common to many Caribbean islands, where things are a bit more lax and chill. If you want precise attention to rules, Germany might have a culture you would be more comfortable with. Florida in general is full of people who want to relax and not focus on anything but their own pleasure seeking. Not all of them are intentionally helpful, but I have not found a large number of them to be intentionally rude, either.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:18 PM

781 posts, read 736,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongranger View Post
First of all, all the bad people from up north have migrated to Florida that is why it is a lot is scammers living in the central Florida area.
All the nuts roll down to Florida....

Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
All the nuts roll down to Florida....
Have you ever notice the resemblance of the state of the shape to the ball inserter on a pinball machine?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I do see some of that when I visit family on the east coast, much different experience over on the west coast where I live. Also calling recent transplants "Floridians" is a slap in the face to true Floridians.
Your last sentence..... Thank you. So true. These ppl aren't Floridians.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
South Florida is like Mad Max. Everyone plays by their own rules. It is TOO laid back. There is no sense of punctuality or structure. No one keeps their word. If you hire any service, they will sometimes not bother showing up. And when you call them, they will give you attitude. I've never lived in a place where you literally had to confirm everything you did because people could not be relied upon to do their job. I'm not being mean, that was literally the expectation there. If you didn't confirm, it wouldn't happen. If you had dinner reservations, you would often still wait 30 minutes after your appointment and people didn't care. If you had an appt to service your car, you had to verify that everything was done and parts were ordered because they would usually miss something big. I still remember having a surgery planned. The day before my surgery, I never received a call from the surgeon confirming where I would go, what I would show up etc. When I called the office, they panicked and literally at the last second, they somehow got me on the OR schedule. That is South Florida for you. Nowhere else would something like that happen.

On a positive note, I do miss that laid back sense. People did not pick or gripe at needless things. People were much less hostile on the roads because everyone drove bad. I saw much less road rage there. HOA's rarely complained about little things. I loved the diversity. Being Mexican American, I never felt my race there and nearly everyone was something. I never faced any form of racism there. Police were also pretty laid back there. You didn't worry about being pulled over for trivial things like you do in the southern United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area