Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:29 PM

16,903 posts, read 16,114,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you are a Floridian, born and raised, am I right?
No. You are so far off it's funny.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:17 AM

383 posts, read 343,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
BMW drivers like to tailgate, especially in the right lane and do not believe the speed limit or aggressive driving laws apply to them. They feel that they own the road. Many are very sorry when they get a brake check from a car or truck in front of them. They get to reshape their cars into an accordion.
+1 . I was wondering why is it happens exactly with BMW driver?! BTW not only with premium segment cars, also it happens with quite budget BMW 316. But the behavior is seems not to be different) Looking at the BMW drivers i can`t say they have any mind troubles. I guess that is really car force them to be so fool?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
South Florida is like Mad Max. Everyone plays by their own rules. It is TOO laid back. There is no sense of punctuality or structure. No one keeps their word. If you hire any service, they will sometimes not bother showing up. And when you call them, they will give you attitude. I've never lived in a place where you literally had to confirm everything you did because people could not be relied upon to do their job. I'm not being mean, that was literally the expectation there. If you didn't confirm, it wouldn't happen. If you had dinner reservations, you would often still wait 30 minutes after your appointment and people didn't care. If you had an appt to service your car, you had to verify that everything was done and parts were ordered because they would usually miss something big. I still remember having a surgery planned. The day before my surgery, I never received a call from the surgeon confirming where I would go, what I would show up etc. When I called the office, they panicked and literally at the last second, they somehow got me on the OR schedule. That is South Florida for you. Nowhere else would something like that happen.

On a positive note, I do miss that laid back sense. People did not pick or gripe at needless things. People were much less hostile on the roads because everyone drove bad. I saw much less road rage there. HOA's rarely complained about little things. I loved the diversity. Being Mexican American, I never felt my race there and nearly everyone was something. I never faced any form of racism there. Police were also pretty laid back there. You didn't worry about being pulled over for trivial things like you do in the southern United States.

That's not "laid back" that's a lack of a work ethic. Which is a problem in FL.

CO is more laid back than NY, always dropping the ball in the examples you mentioned(and they're true) is just not doing your job.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:00 PM

170 posts, read 189,935 times
Quote:
No.......they are rude, mean, selfish, arrogant, self centered, egotistical and in your face in most cases. Hardly refreshing.
New Yorkers (and I lived in the city for 15 years and here for many years) are direct and will will quickly tell people off who upset the apple cart, like those at a fast food cashier and haven't thought what to order, or walking four abreast blocking the whole sidewalk, or rude MFs that watch Youtube without headphones in restaurants distrurbing the peace. New Yorkers do not for a minute put up with that and directly tell these violaters to fix themselves.

The Floridian on the other hand is more passive and will not interfere with these a-holes, so there's more of this rude behavior going on down here. Just my experience. Yours may differ.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Have you ever notice the resemblance of the state of the shape to the ball inserter on a pinball machine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Looks like the appendix when you think about it, the useless organ. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.....
To me it looks like a part of the male anatomy. A most useful organ I assure you!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:48 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's not "laid back" that's a lack of a work ethic. Which is a problem in FL.
^THIS^

I just recently relocated to the area from the northeast, I am currently a department manager at a major hotel in the area and I immediately started witnessing this first hand from day one, I am honestly HORRIFIED at the lack of work ethic down here.. Not to mention, the talent pool is also very weak, partly due to the low wages..

Old 07-30-2016, 06:55 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongranger View Post
I lived in Florida from 2008 to 2015 and I still regret. Florida have several problems. First of all, all the bad people from up north have migrated to Florida that is why it is a lot is scammers living in the central Florida area. Second, it is a huge Inmigration of people from Puerto Rico who don't like to respect the rules and only want to live and work around their own people. So you find workplaces where 99% of the employees are Puerto Ricans or new your Ricans. Also, same happens with other nationalities. In fact, people from Florida are not from Florida. They happens to live in Florida, but in reality it is a mixture from everywhere that makes the environment hostile for everyone, yet every culture want to get Florida into they own little Cuba, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and so on. And finally, the problem with the language. In Florida the Hispanic population have this believe that every body have to learn Spanish and not English, which is a ignorant point of view because th United States has to much to offer as far a culture and life experience. To summarize, Florida is becaming a place where not one respect anyone's culture and where racism towards and between Hispanics is a daylight battle. My advice, if you want to live in peace a not check by check move out to the mid west when people know the real meaning of hospitality.
I'm sorry you feel that way Donald Trump!

There are other states that maybe to your (white) likening like Iowa where the "blackest" thing in that state is the pavement!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:07 PM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
^THIS^

I just recently relocated to the area from the northeast, I am currently a department manager at a major hotel in the area and I immediately started witnessing this first hand from day one, I am honestly HORRIFIED at the lack of work ethic down here.. Not to mention, the talent pool is also very weak, partly due to the low wages..
I think you hit on the major reason in those last few words. There is little incentive for the workers earning minimum wage to do much of anything other than show up. Possibilities of their advancing are nil, management is often intrusive and overbearing, there is no job security and everything is transient. In areas like North Miami, line managers have an almost impossible job.

I remember one worker who was really trying to do good and get ahead, but to get to work she had to take a jitney from Carol City (it was all she could afford, and the idea of a minimum wage employee owning and insuring a car in the area is ludicrous) and she often arrived, late hot and drenched in sweat, and had to look forward to a similar experience trying to get home.

The workers who are smart enough to recognize the trap get out.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 PM

328 posts, read 473,272 times
Quote:
The rudest, meanest, nastiest people on the road, in public, and in service industries I have ever met. But, the natives are rude too. I have had the most trouble with BMW drivers from up North.
I thought it was mostly (not all) Mercedes-Benz drivers who acted this way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area