Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

I live in Savanna (no h). I like it here. There are alot of spanish speakers here. If that bothers you stay away. I am not of hispanic descent and I have never had any attitude from the spanish speakers. I think that since she was hispanic they may have given her attitude that Americans don't get.

I find that most folks around here speak English. They may PREFER Spanish, but if they know you don't speak it you won't have a problem.

Remember that Savanna is zoned for both Manatee Bay and Gator Run Elementary Schools. If you have a preference make sure the home you purchase is zoned for your preferred school. Call the Broward County School Board to make sure. My son is at Imagine Charter School (the same one referenced by BaskingRidgeMom) so I don't know much about Manatee Bay or Gator Run. We have been happy at the charter school.

I like The Meadows but their community pool, etc is not as nice as Savanna. It's right across from Savanna. I don't know the other communities as well. Savanna has really nice community amenities. If that is important to you Savanna is tops. The Ridges also has nice community amenities..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 26,159 times
Question Best Private School in Weston Florida?

Hello,

My husband and I live in Weston Connecticut and are considering moving to Weston Florida. Husband may be being relocated - Miami office.
My head is spinning from all the posts I've been reading for days. Positive and Negative. We'd love a more relaxed life style. Its a bit of a rat race for us up here. My husband commutes into NYC every day and the housing costs and taxes are brutal. Its a super wealthy demographic too.
The schools are great though.
Anyway, we've both lived in the NYC/Connecticut area our entire lives and we're open to change and a new experience.
My main concern is the schools. I have a 5 year old daughter and a 8 year old son. Does anyone have any insights into the private schools in the Weston, Fla. area? Is one considered better than others?

Also, I get that Weston is all gated communities. I don't mind that. Can anyone recommend a few of the nicest ones we should consider?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thx!

Old 02-22-2008, 04:51 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Sagemont in Weston is a great school for elementary aged kids. My kids went there and it was a magical time for them. I found the administration open to all suggestions and input from the parents. For high school, I tend to favor American Heritage because it has so much stuff. Their fine arts department is probably the best in ALL of South Florida - if your kid is interested in drama, dance, theater, etc, they'll be in heaven. I have one child who wants to be a photographer and is now on the "photography track". By the time she graduates she will have had 8 semesters in it and will have had extensive experience in the dark room, been displayed in galleries, entered in competitions, and have a portfolio worthy of the most generous scholarships. My son on the other hand is academic and is taking 4 AP classes, on the math team, had the choice of a pre-law or pre-med track (he chose neither as he wants to be an anthropologist), and has the help of two guidance counselors (there are a total of 5) with his college apps (they have him applying to Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Vassar, Duke, etc). Their sports teams all have incredible reputations (cant speak much aout this as neither of my kids participate), but I was originally leery of the school because of its "sports" notoriety. Also, it has a separate school on campus which concentrates on special needs kids with everything from ADD to dyslexia (the founder had dyslexia) to autism. And, if you can get a job there teaching, all this is free...

With all that said, however the best private school in S FL is Pinecrest, but it is a very long drive from Weston. University School, about 20 minutes away also has a top notch reputation. I recommend you look at all 4 schools.

As for gated communities in Weston, the best are in the Country Club and anything with Windmill in its name.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weston2weston View Post
Hello,

My husband and I live in Weston Connecticut and are considering moving to Weston Florida. Husband may be being relocated - Miami office.
My head is spinning from all the posts I've been reading for days. Positive and Negative. We'd love a more relaxed life style. Its a bit of a rat race for us up here. My husband commutes into NYC every day and the housing costs and taxes are brutal. Its a super wealthy demographic too.
The schools are great though.
Anyway, we've both lived in the NYC/Connecticut area our entire lives and we're open to change and a new experience.
My main concern is the schools. I have a 5 year old daughter and a 8 year old son. Does anyone have any insights into the private schools in the Weston, Fla. area? Is one considered better than others?

Also, I get that Weston is all gated communities. I don't mind that. Can anyone recommend a few of the nicest ones we should consider?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thx!
How much do you want to spend? There is housing in every price range in Weston.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Sagemont in Weston is a great school for elementary aged kids. My kids went there and it was a magical time for them. I found the administration open to all suggestions and input from the parents. For high school, I tend to favor American Heritage because it has so much stuff. Their fine arts department is probably the best in ALL of South Florida - if your kid is interested in drama, dance, theater, etc, they'll be in heaven. I have one child who wants to be a photographer and is now on the "photography track". By the time she graduates she will have had 8 semesters in it and will have had extensive experience in the dark room, been displayed in galleries, entered in competitions, and have a portfolio worthy of the most generous scholarships. My son on the other hand is academic and is taking 4 AP classes, on the math team, had the choice of a pre-law or pre-med track (he chose neither as he wants to be an anthropologist), and has the help of two guidance counselors (there are a total of 5) with his college apps (they have him applying to Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Vassar, Duke, etc). Their sports teams all have incredible reputations (cant speak much aout this as neither of my kids participate), but I was originally leery of the school because of its "sports" notoriety. Also, it has a separate school on campus which concentrates on special needs kids with everything from ADD to dyslexia (the founder had dyslexia) to autism. And, if you can get a job there teaching, all this is free...

With all that said, however the best private school in S FL is Pinecrest, but it is a very long drive from Weston. University School, about 20 minutes away also has a top notch reputation. I recommend you look at all 4 schools.

As for gated communities in Weston, the best are in the Country Club and anything with Windmill in its name.
My 2 oldest kids also attend AH. The attended Imagine Charter for elemenatary school. Mine are in middle school (6th and 8th) now. They are both very happy there. My oldest is VERY into sports. He plays lacrosse and wrestles. The younger one plays lacrosse also. The sports teams are very well run and they allow the middle school kids to play many sports that are not available in public middle schools.

My kids are also into fine arts. They play a total of 5 instruments between the 2 of them. They are in regular concert band, my younger one will be in marching band and there are also jazz bands for them from middle school up. The school also has an excellent choral/vocal program and the shows that the kids put on (Cats, Big, etc) are very involved.

My oldest is also a good student. He will be taking honors classes next year and as freshman he will be taking debate (competitive arguing-great for a teenager) next year. He wants to go to the Naval Academy and has already talked to the 9th grade guidance counselor about that.

We chose AH over Pinecrest, North Broward, and University because although their academic programs are a tad less recognized we felt that the quantity and quality of their extra curricular activities would allow our kids to explore what they wanted. My oldest is an all sports kind of kid, my younger one more of a music dude and AH lets them be what they want to be.

Posters whose kids are of high school age should also look at St. Thomas and Archbishop McCarthy if they are Catholic. These are good schools (HS only).

Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 26,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post

Thanks. All that information is great. I think Sagemont looks great for us as an option.
Thats a sweet reference when you say it was magical for your kids. Thats what I want.
My husband read that if more than one child from your family attends you get a bit of a price break.The fact that they have the special needs services covered is critical. And if the school is open to suggestions from parents, even better. With my sons mild Aspergers we have learned what works and what doesn't so I need an administration that will respect our input.
American Heritage looks like a fabulous school for consideration at the highschool level. Thats funny...I too would worry about an environment being too sporty for my kids. Mine are into arts and science. My 5 year old may change as she gets older but now neither of my kids are really into team sports.
We'll be coming down next month so we will set up some appointments to visit the schools of interest. Thanks for the input on the communities as well.
I have to trust that everything will work out. Again, thanks...your input is very helpful.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
The problem my kids had with sports down here started simply with the weather. My son loved football, but football practice starts here in the middle of August, so after one practice, that was out. Soccer, track, baseball, even cheerleading practice outside. And, ironically, possibly because of the weather, indoor gyms are uncommon so even basketball is played outside. The only sport in S Florida that makes any sense at all is swimming! Oh, and chess , which both my kids play masterfully!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM

230 posts, read 666,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingRidgeMom View Post
I moved to Florida from NJ back in 1988 and lived their for about 15 years. I lived about 12 years in Weston. I moved to Weston when there was only about a population of 6,000 and left in January of 2004 when I believe there was about 67,000 people! I am currently back in NJ and sometimes miss it athough do not miss the schools(even if by Florida standards they are A schools they still do not hold a candle to NJ schools), Moderator cut: off topic/changing topic of thread
It's pretty sad that you are the only moderator who cuts out real peoples life experiences and opinions that have actually lived in Florida...not like you who just vists this (thread) site and lives in "Beautiful Tennesse". How would you know what it's like to live in Weston...have you ever? Well I did for almost 13yrs...truth hurts. How could you possibly comment as if you know what's it's like to live in South Florida. Perhaps I should go on your Chatanooga Tenn. site and start telling people there my opinions without actually living there and knowing the area. By the way..being that you know so much...you sited me for "change of topic" as well as "bringing up a race"....Spanish is not a race...it is a nationality...please learn first before you accuse. Just because you do not agree with "my" views you feel the need to just erase them...very un-democratic & un-American!

Last edited by BaskingRidgeMom; 02-25-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 103,170 times
My family and I have lived in one of the smaller gated communities in Weston for 8 years. While we had a good life here, we are relocating out of state due to my husband being transferred. My home will be on the market in about a week from Coldwell Banker. It is a gorgeous 3 bed, den, 2 bath, with a large, fenced-in yard on a cul de sac. Laminated floors, interior painted within last 3 years and a 1 year appliance service contract which includes minor plumbing. Right near elementary school as well. It is an attached home to one other unit but you never hear the person next door. If you are interested, I can PM the listing when it appears shortly.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 PM

482 posts, read 944,739 times
Weston is homegenous like other new communities..if you have a family fine, if you're single, look toward Fort Lauderdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area