Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Yes Jupiter is terrible poor people and working people everywhere please don't move here esp you
No problem, I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 18,196 times
Any recommendations among the San's - San Messina, San Remo, San Simeon and San Mateo. I tried searching in this forum but couldn't find much.. Any Pro's / Con's would be very helpful.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
San Simeon is not gated. Not that it really matters as it is quite safe anywhere in Weston.

All the Sans are pretty similar to each other. Some of the Sans have a mix of townhomes and single family homes. Some only have townhomes.

Having recently shown clients homes in most of the Sans, I was pretty impressed with the upkeep at San Mateo, San Remo and San Sebastian - new pavement, new exterior paint, good mulching. San Messina looked a little tired, but still not bad.

If you commute South on I-75, San Simeon will save you 10-15 minutes.

All the other Sans' locations are more convenient for commuting East on I-75 (continuing east on I-595 or North on Sawgrass Expressway)

Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 AM

633 posts, read 581,255 times
Weston has top rated schools. But it appears to be half spanish. What schools districts are good that the rich Yuppie types from NY move to? Folks from LI/NJ area with kids demand good schools so where they go is most likely the good schools.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Weston has top rated schools. But it appears to be half spanish. What schools districts are good that the rich Yuppie types from NY move to? Folks from LI/NJ area with kids demand good schools so where they go is most likely the good schools.
I moved from NY to Weston and survived for 16 years even though I don't speak Spanish. Everyone speaks English in Weston just fine.

Rich Yuppie types from NY do move to Weston. Or Parkland.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 PM

633 posts, read 581,255 times
Where do the white non-hispanic people live? Weston has great schools but it is 51 percent Spanish. Is there an equally good town nearby for white non-hispanic people? Sounds crazy but in Florida Hispanics are often called white hispanics and then there are white whites I guess.

I would move to Weston in a second flat if I could speak Spanish and wanted my kids to marry spanish

Old 09-15-2016, 01:45 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Parkland also has highly rated public schools across the board. It is far west like Weston but it is on the northern edge of the county, while Weston is more central. I believe it's only about 10, 20% Hispanic or so, if that. Everyone that I have met that moved there from out of town seemed to be from the Midwest--at least that's my experience. So can't address whether or not New Yorkers gravitate there.

However, just to the north and east of Parkland is Boca Raton. Lots of NY transplants and also only about 10% Hispanic. But whole other county--and even farther from Weston.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Yup, Boca and Parkland.

Weston is where Spanish speakers with some money live. You will notice it's proximity to Miami and I75. There is a large contingent of people who commute to Miami from Weston because Miami is terrible, so if they can afford it, they live in Weston. Miami is heavily Spanish speaking, hence the Weston demographics.

You will not walk through a grocery store in Weston without hearing a lot of Spanish. However, everyone also speaks very good English and half the population speaks English only. Some people simply don't want to be around a bunch of people speaking another language, and I totally get that. I'm used to it by now and it's really not as bad as you may think. If you want a nice planned city that is well manicured, great town centers, restaurants, no depressed housing, lots of amenities and located right next to major highways for access, etc. Weston is it. It's the only place like it. Get over the language (everyone speaks English, too) and you may warm up to it.

Another option is the Plantation Acres area, but you will need private schools. Or yes, Boca/Parkland.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:03 AM

I used to live in Savanna, Weston, probably the most Spanish speaking community. And even then I had neighbors from NJ, NY (including Long Island), Texas, Canada...

Old 09-21-2016, 12:38 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
You will NOT find any area of So. Fla that is strictly only rich Yuppies from LI. Merrick/Bellmore/Wantagh simply do not exist in So.Fla. Even if you do move there & choose Parkland or Boca. You will still always notice a large presence of people speaking Spanish when you are out & about in the stores. On the street. Or when your kids are in school. There is really no way to avoid it. Unless you are a hermit. But like so many others including me have told you if schools are most important thing Weston is best option. If Spanish really bothers you. Parkland is another good option. As is Boca. But not ALL if Boca is great. In Weston there are no BAD areas at all. There is a cheaper older area known as the Bonaventure section. Which existed long before Weston was ever built. That section was given the choice to vote on Sunrise or Weston in mid 90's. Weston won out. But that section is still great.

Only downfall that people don't like really is that section is not zoned for Cypress Bay HS.The "newer" HS. It is zoned for Western in Davie. But before Cypress was built & established in 2002 all kids went to Western in Davie. And were fine with it. It is a "prestige" thing. Sort of like the "Yuppie" thing you keep mentioning you are seeking out. Sort of like the way they say here in Merrick/Bellmore. Buy South of Sunrise so you will be zoned for Kennedy HS. Everyone in Merrick/ Bellmore area wants to say their kids went to Kennedy. Not Calhoun. Not Mepham.

I say this as a person that lived in Weston for several years. And lives in Bellmore now. As is evident by my name. I know LI extremely well. You will not find any town similar to Merrick or any LI town down there. By the way what town are you in on LI that you are trying to match in So. Fla. Maybe then I can give you the perfect answers. As for the Spanish speaking people in Weston. They are the type of people you would WANT to be associated with. And your kids will learn a lot from their kids. Unlike the people here on LI that speak Spanish ONLY. The ones you are trying to avoid & shield your family from. The kids in Weston that speak Spanish also are very fluent in English. And honestly IMHO are far better human beings that most of the "yuppies" as you keep referring to. They are kind friendly very generous people. And for the most part a pleasure to be around. I would rather be around them than most of the "Yuppies" we have here on LI. FYI. I am a white Jewish female. Do not speak one word of Spanish. Ever. Never had big problems in Weston. But it is much closer to Plantation than either Parkland or Boca is. If you need to be close to Plantation. Weston is best bet. You would not want to commute to Plantation from Parkland or Boca.

Last edited by loribell38; 09-21-2016 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area